Why doesnt SU basketball utilize social media | Syracusefan.com

Why doesnt SU basketball utilize social media

Why doesnt JB utilize social media in recruiting like Dino does?

At the end of the day, does a kid pick a school because of its coach’s social media profile? Or because the team account is 25-30% better than another team’s account?

Obviously these kids are on social media all the time so it’s important to have a presence, but I’m not buying this one.

At the end of the day, does a kid pick a school because of its coach’s social media profile? Or because the team account is 25-30% better than another team’s account?

Obviously these kids are on social media all the time so it’s important to have a presence, but I’m not buying this one.
It matters an enormous amount. It is how kids communicate. Cursive is a foreign country. Some of these kids will never write a check, own a camera, subcribe to cable, or ride in a cab. Yes it matters.

It matters an enormous amount. It is how kids communicate. Cursive is a foreign country. Some of these kids will never write a check, own a camera, subcribe to cable, or ride in a cab. Yes it matters.

You think kids choose a school based on this though? It’s a small bonus but not in the Top 5-10 factors that any kid uses to pick a school, IMO.

You think kids choose a school based on this though? It’s a small bonus but not in the Top 5-10 factors that any kid uses to pick a school, IMO.
I agree. My point is JB has all of the resources in the world. Just because he still uses a blackberry and notebook doesn't mean that his staff cant employ as many tools as possible to overcome the age issue.

It probably isn't why they pick a particular school, but it may be part of what gets a school into the final group of schools that the kid is selecting among. Everyone wants to do what is cool, hip or perceived as being the in thing. Social Media can help to increase a school's profile. Not having a social media presence certainly isn't a positive....unless of course you take into account how badly the SUAD would likely butcher the foray into social media.

I mean with how pessimistic you guys think SUAD would fail in this regard is there a point? I don’t think JB not having a Twitter is causing players to not choose us.

Underestimate the importance of this at your own peril.

I would posit that if you aren't where the conversation is happening you aren't as likely to be in the conversation. Out of sight is out of mind when it comes to the shortsightedness of teenagers.

Combine this with several years of on court mediocrity (we haven't consistently played like an elite team since our current recruiting targets were 9 years old), and an uncertain timeline but the certainly impending near term retirement of the one person responsible for the cachet of this program and it's pretty easy to see that committing to some other school has a lot less risk for a top target with options.

Underestimate the importance of this at your own peril.

I would posit that if you aren't where the conversation is happening you aren't as likely to be in the conversation. Out of sight is out of mind when it comes to the shortsightedness of teenagers.

Combine this with several years of on court mediocrity (we haven't consistently played like an elite team since our current recruiting targets were 9 years old), and an uncertain timeline but the certainly impending near term retirement of the one person responsible for the cachet of this program and it's pretty easy to see that committing to some other school has a lot less risk for a top target with options.

The program has an account that is active. Boeheim has Twitter and uses it infrequently. As was mentioned before, Izzo & Roy don’t have it and they do just fine.

I believe the program is stale and needs a change but social media usage isn’t even in my Top 20 problems with the program.

I mean with how pessimistic you guys think SUAD would fail in this regard is there a point? I don’t think JB not having a Twitter is causing players to not choose us.

This. And I would argue if a kid is picking Syracuse because of a Twitter account, that kid has his priorities off.

Is it part of the sales pitch and marketing of the program? Sure. Is it important to push out info and be as close to cutting edge with all graphics and videos? Sure.

The SU basketball account does all that.

JB does have a twitter

Tom Izzo, Roy Williams who are JB’s peers don’t use it either.
This isn’t really important for them. The assistant coaches use it fine.
Not True.

This. And I would argue if a kid is picking Syracuse because of a Twitter account, that kid has his priorities off.

Is it part of the sales pitch and marketing of the program? Sure. Is it important to push out info and be as close to cutting edge with all graphics and videos? Sure.

The SU basketball account does all that.
No it doesn't.

Not True.
Tom Izzo and Roy Williams don’t use twitter. That isn’t not true.

There is plenty of stuff to be frustrated at our HC’s social media usage is not one of them.

I don’t get this thread at all. Like other coaches ours recruit a player using PM on social media platforms. No coach recruits a player publicly on social media. Neither does Babers.

Love jb but he's a dinosaur. Dino is young for his age.
I think this is pretty accurate. I dont think JB is lazy as much as social media just has zero impact on his life.

But that being said, someone in the basketball office/staff should be all over this. What an easy way to stay in contact with, and impress a recruit when you dont want to go see him yourself...let some youngster that loves this stuff and is good at it produce the kind of stuff we are seeing from the football side. Seems like a no brainer to me.

You guys talking about videos like this that they put out on a regular basis throughout the year? Some people have short memories.

Social media isn't really JB's thing but I think the Syracuse Basketball account does a really good job. Red could be more active on social media but GMac and Griff are both good.

You guys talking about videos like this that they put out on a regular basis throughout the year? Some people have short memories.

Social media isn't really JB's thing but I think the Syracuse Basketball account does a really good job. Red could be more active on social media but GMac and Griff are both good.

I don’t think they’re at the top of the class with their stuff but what they do is fine. Football is a little better in my opinion but that’s what happens when you have a million support staff people hired for basically this sole purpose.

If the op is talking about specific videos for recruits like the football team does, i dont see that utilized in basketball as much. And i mean overall not at syracuse.

No it doesn't.

Please show me a metric how SU’s basketball account doesn’t do what it needs to do with the stuff it puts out? There is no metric in the world that would indicate this.

Social media is a moving target - no strategy is perfect. Different strategies work for different organizations. Certain ones choose to be more edgy than others but as long as you’re putting out relevant content and it’s similar to the production level of peers then I’m not sure how you can criticize.

Please show me a metric how SU’s basketball account doesn’t do what it needs to do with the stuff it puts out? There is no metric in the world that would indicate this.

Social media is a moving target - no strategy is perfect. Different strategies work for different organizations. Certain ones choose to be more edgy than others but as long as you’re putting out relevant content and it’s similar to the production level of peers then I’m not sure how you can criticize.
Let me clarify my post and i hope that im wrong. SU football seems to put a greater emphasis on using social media as a recruiting tool than SU Basketball. Please post some recent examples of SUs staff using social media as a tool for Jackson. I could simply be missing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom