Why I Think Uniforms Matter To Some of Us | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why I Think Uniforms Matter To Some of Us

Orangeyes said:
USC? I can't think of any changes they've made. The helmet decal has stayed the same, no fancy piping on the uniforms the same rich colors. Some other schools that have remained relatively unchanged are Ohio St, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan State, Texas and LSU.

Scratch UNC off that list - they had more combos than us last season.

since were disusing fashion - if i have on blue pants -what color sneaker should i wear after labor day?

Orange, of course!

orange sneakers.jpg

I've said it before - if it's in the name, you don't need to over do it in the uni. What percentage would satisfy your need for "heavily"?
youve got a vested interest in this dont you??

you arent pro-history, pro-current kids or pro-school pride.

you are pro-current uniform.

i find that extremely odd, yet telling.

youve got a vested interest in this dont you??

you arent pro-history, pro-current kids or pro-school pride.

you are pro-current uniform.

i find that extremely odd, yet telling.
Maybe he works at Nike.

ino, kids don't come play for us because Jim Brown or Ernie Davis played here.

ino, kids don't come play for us because Jim Brown or Ernie Davis played here.
likely not.

but people continually tell us that kids come here because we tell them we will wear a blue helmet and matching tops and pants...:crazy:

KaiserUEO said:
likely not. but people continually tell us that kids come here because we tell them we will wear a blue helmet and matching tops and pants...:crazy:

It is crazy, but true. Fans care more about history - the kids care more about uni's. Is bet by graduation some kids have grown to appreciate the history more and uni's less. It's maturity.

KaiserUEO said:
youve got a vested interest in this dont you?? you arent pro-history, pro-current kids or pro-school pride. you are pro-current uniform. i find that extremely odd, yet telling.

I'm pro Syracuse. History matters to me. But so does recruiting and letting the current players own their program. If allowing them more choice gets more buy-in to what the coaches are doing and it catches the eye of some 4-star kid? I'm all for it.

I want more orange. I liked the blue uni's for a game - but would love to see a new take on our 90's uni's. Respectful of the past while being cutting edge in the now.

I'm tired of hearing about the McNabb era look. I'm excited for the new look this year, as it can't lose anymore orange and I think Dr.Gross and Nike are narrowing in on something that is mindful of history but new.

That's my take. Outside of wanting them to have "more orange" - what specifically do you want to see?

It is crazy, but true. Fans care more about history - the kids care more about uni's. Is bet by graduation some kids have grown to appreciate the history more and uni's less. It's maturity.
another pro-current uni.

and your 2nd post, is pro-nike like moontan offers.

it appears that we will not get the big time kids who dont care about unis as they will go wherever they can get to the league the fastest.

but we can get the next tier by giving them 64 different crayons and a coloring book and telling them to have it and design your saturday wardrobe.

and what is wrong with only wanting more Orange??

i dont know what you want.

i dont want them to not wear a helmet, only wear a shoulder pad over their good arm and skip the pants pads.

i dont give a flying F about whether or not it absorbs sweat, is kevlar based, makes them invisible (actually, no...i want that feature).

give them the best material, the form fitting the absorbing the fancy stretch whatever the f they call it, just put ORANGE in it for crying out loud.

USC? I can't think of any changes they've made. The helmet decal has stayed the same, no fancy piping on the uniforms the same rich colors.

Some other schools that have remained relatively unchanged are Ohio St, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan State, Texas and LSU.

UNC, Nebraska, Tenny, and even Ohio St have tweaked uniforms at a minimum.

KaiserUEO said:
another pro-current uni. and your 2nd post, is pro-nike like moontan offers. it appears that we will not get the big time kids who dont care about unis as they will go wherever they can get to the league the fastest. but we can get the next tier by giving them 64 different crayons and a coloring book and telling them to have it and design your saturday wardrobe. and what is wrong with only wanting more Orange?? i dont know what you want. i dont want them to not wear a helmet, only wear a shoulder pad over their good arm and skip the pants pads. i dont give a flying F about whether or not it absorbs sweat, is kevlar based, makes them invisible (actually, no...i want that feature). give them the best material, the form fitting the absorbing the fancy stretch whatever the f they call it, just put ORANGE in it for crying out loud.

It appears your comprehension is that of someone who uses crayons regularly. I spelled out exactly what I would like to see, including more orange.

I asked you what you wanted to see aside from more orange and you choose invisible as an option?

Tells me everything I need to know.

USC? I can't think of any changes they've made. The helmet decal has stayed the same, no fancy piping on the uniforms the same rich colors.

Some other schools that have remained relatively unchanged are Ohio St, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan State, Texas and LSU.
Ohio State
nike-pro-combat-ohio-state-buckeyes-uniforms-2011-03.jpg

Nebraska
50664b7ae5da3.preview-620.jpg

Georgia
Georgia%2BPro%2BCombat.jpg

Michigan State
msu-1.jpg

LSU
lsuuni.jpg

It appears your comprehension is that of someone who uses crayons regularly. I spelled out exactly what I would like to see, including more orange.

I asked you what you wanted to see aside from more orange and you choose invisible as an option?

Tells me everything I need to know.
so you dont think invisible is cutting edge??

id give you a like, because the whole post is a pretty good slam, but since i dont take you seriously and i think you have your nike blinders on, im going to think you thought i was serioius. which prevents the like.

who doesnt want cutting edge?? isnt that a inalienable truth??

what did you spell out? 'i want the 90s unis, with more orange??' What does that mean?

in all of bnoro's pictures, i dont see 1 where the school dropped not only its primary color, but its ONLY color in regards to the uniform.

they are all hip, cool unis that look good and are designed to give the player some kind of edge on the field, like those track or swim thingies.

i dont think anybody wants the baggy unis of days gone by. are we at least clear on that??

but what we trotted the kids out in, was an abomination to the school.

I am 39 years old, I look at Oregon the past 25 years and I will say they have had a pretty good run. I don't give a RATS FRICKING ASS about the 50's the 60's the 70's and at this point the 80's. that won't pay the bills or buy you a cup of coffee. Good luck with that, selling a 59 national championship to a 18 year old kid. What.

And yes I charged the field after the 87 win over WVU, after we drove back from the tip off classic versus UNC. Great memory but that was 27 years ago. Good lord guys, move on.

Army use to be good too, Atari 2600 use to be cutting edge as well. Keep the uniforms and keep playing missile command.

You mean Battlezone and Frogger

KaiserUEO said:
so you dont think invisible is cutting edge?? id give you a like, because the whole post is a pretty good slam, but since i dont take you seriously and i think you have your nike blinders on, im going to think you thought i was serioius. which prevents the like. who doesnt want cutting edge?? isnt that a inalienable truth?? what did you spell out? 'i want the 90s unis, with more orange??' What does that mean? in all of bnoro's pictures, i dont see 1 where the school dropped not only its primary color, but its ONLY color in regards to the uniform. they are all hip, cool unis that look good and are designed to give the player some kind of edge on the field, like those track or swim thingies. i dont think anybody wants the baggy unis of days gone by. are we at least clear on that?? but what we trotted the kids out in, was an abomination to the school.

More Orange than the all blues is good.
A nod to the past - ie. something that looks like what you and I remember from the 90's.
Something new and fresh that the current players and recruits will be excited to wear.

Those MSU unis are sharp! Btw, have any of those teams used those unis in a game yet (LSU and Nebraska have at least worn something similar)?

One other thing about the unis pictured: they have all kept the primary colors of the schools as the primary colors of the uniforms.

I would like to see a rendering of an SU helmet similar to the UGA one pictured, with orange as the main color and a very wide blue stripe. I may not like it, but I'd like to see what it would look like.

SU2NASA, wasn't that Michigan uni a throwback? (other than the writing on the undershirt).

IthacaBarrel said:
THE HORROR!!!!!!! OH GOD!!!! They don't need new UNIF

Looks like they all kept their school colors. I can still tell what schools they are, SU not at all.

Looks like they all kept their school colors. I can still tell what schools they are, SU not at all.
I remember turning on the Ohio State and Michigan State games the years they wore those uniforms and not knowing who it was.

It is true that many schools have worn a futuristic uniform on a one off basis but those aren't those schools normal uniforms.

2014-01-04T031839Z_25053086_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NCAA-FOOTBALL-ORANGE-BOWL-OHIO-STATE-VS-CLEMSON.jpg

2014 Orange Bowl

smhrosebowl335765x002_r940x635.jpg

2014 Rose Bowl

mccarron-sacked-again_2014sugarbowl_USATSI_7648482_154510962_lowres-e1389025843711.jpg

2014 Sugar Bowl

etc...

I personally don't have a problem with a once a blue moon type thing going to a retro uni or a futuristic uni. I just don't want to see SU using 2 or 3 types of helmets, 3 or 4 or 5 color combinations, uniform styles, etc. in a single year. Syracuse has a football brand. It's traditional uniforms are unmistakable and among the best in college football.

Be like the vast majority of the best programs in the country; respect your tradition, market your great brand and distance yourself from the bad programs that change their uniforms almost as often as they change their coaches.

Last edited:
bnoro said:
I remember turning on the Ohio State and Michigan State games the years they wore those uniforms and not knowing who it was.

I can see it happening to someone for 1 game.

images

Only some minor tweaking with the sleeves, which they've come full circle on back to the OJ years.
Unless you want to go way back...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom