Why in the world did we stick with Edwards?? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why in the world did we stick with Edwards??

He wasn’t in on that last play.
He's talking about the full court pass that Clemson put out of bounds. Does it really matter the player 90 feet from the hoop.

He's talking about the full court pass that Clemson put out of bounds. Does it really matter the player 90 feet from the hoop.

He asked about both. I only included the last one.

Goodine is big enough to play the 3. JB won’t play Buddy at the 3 in a big spot vs a physical team. Call it stubbornness or whatever.

Edwards cost us the game. Sucks. All these ACC losses should have been wins if we just finish 4th we’ll go dancing.

If Edwards hammers Trapp to force FTs, on what was the game winning layup, we likely win.

Would’ve liked to see a 44% FT shooter trying to win it at the line and have 1-2 more seconds on the final play.

He’ll learn.

Tough loss. We can’t win every road conference game.

Deer in headlights is the best way to describe it. Pressure burst pipes and he was not ready to play. Looked like he didn't belong nor want to be out there.

I think Boeheim would probably say that considering the way Mack was manhandling us, he wanted Edwards' length in the middle rather than Guerrier. Unfortunately, Edwards is probably physically weaker than Guerrier right now and his length ultimately didn't matter aside from allowing him to lightly foul guys better.

Unfortunately, Edwards is probably physically weaker than Guerrier right now
Surprised at "probably"-
IMHO, Edwards is physically weakest SU player by far, no doubt!
A project that hopefully the staff can develop.
Look forward to someday seeing him step on court with a Game Face.

Honestly Edwards is a low D1 player as of right now and 5 years ago the staff would have never looked past 30 seconds of his tape, tells you about our desperation. Maybe come his junior year he will be serviceable and I’ll eat crow. But, the fact that every single team practically has someone big come off the bench 3x better then Edwards is not acceptable. Clemson’s young big man was an absolute beast, raw in talent but he is going to be a major issue. Then we look at our big man of the future... he trips over his own feet and has no clue what is going on. This is not on Jesse, he is doing everything he can. This has to do with awful recruiting and not being able to bring in a game ready freshman or juco player.

Deer in headlights is the best way to describe it. Pressure burst pipes and he was not ready to play. Looked like he didn't belong nor want to be out there.
I know the coach is in the HOF, but I always wonder if additional minutes in the preseason for guys like Edwards would benefit them in situations like these.

Honestly Edwards is a low D1 player as of right now and 5 years ago the staff would have never looked past 30 seconds of his tape, tells you about our desperation. Maybe come his junior year he will be serviceable and I’ll eat crow. But, the fact that every single team practically has someone big come off the bench 3x better then Edwards is not acceptable. Clemson’s young big man was an absolute beast, raw in talent but he is going to be a major issue. Then we look at our big man of the future... he trips over his own feet and has no clue what is going on. This is not on Jesse, he is doing everything he can. This has to do with awful recruiting and not being able to bring in a game ready freshman or juco player.

This isn't exactly true and at the start of the year he was the 11th man on the bench. Now he's moved up due to injury.. We've had Sean Williams, Devan Brennan-McBride, Chino etc. who were much bigger projects than Edwards and that's all in the past 15 years.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I'll add another...he appeared like a fish out of water out there. I realize that he's not ready, but what the heck is going on in practice...it's just about February for goodness sake. Last night's viewing of him, even Sidibe for that matter (for me) just continues to baffle the crap out of me and how we have been unable to land a legit P5 center since Christmas graduated. Ugh!

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I'll add another...he appeared like a fish out of water out there. I realize that he's not ready, but what the heck is going on in practice...it's just about February for goodness sake. Last night's viewing of him, even Sidibe for that matter (for me) just continues to baffle the crap out of me and how we have been unable to land a legit P5 center since Christmas graduated. Ugh!
I completely agree with you, which is why I keep pushing back on this. If we all saw that, and we did, why in the world would anyone on his own team make that pass to him? For the love of God, DON"T DO THAT!!!!

By the way, in defense of Edwards, he was the one who tipped the pass away from the big inside, resulting in Joe getting the ball (and apparently the steal according to the announcer). AND, and this is a big one, he did it without fouling.

It was a tough moment for the youngen for sure. Unfortunately it cost us the game, and his PT was simply a direct effect of our two other "bigs" inability to understand their value and execute accordingly.

Watched that play again. Man. Tough stuff happening there. Buddy should have gone to the ball once he saw his man take off to double Hughes. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd put the ball in Joe's hand in the end of game situation there. Edwards could have immediately gone to the basket, but the ball took him slightly away, so it would have been contested well. He could have also immediately passed to QG. Then Q cuts to the basket holding his right arm up looking for the ball high. And Edwards made the mistake of trying to bounce it to him and Q wasn't ready for that at all.

Watched that play again. Man. Tough stuff happening there. Buddy should have gone to the ball once he saw his man take off to double Hughes. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd put the ball in Joe's hand in the end of game situation there. Edwards could have immediately gone to the basket, but the ball took him slightly away, so it would have been contested well. He could have also immediately passed to QG. Then Q cuts to the basket holding his right arm up looking for the ball high. And Edwards made the mistake of trying to bounce it to him and Q wasn't ready for that at all.
I don't want to watch any replays of that game but it seemed Edwards had plenty of space and opportunity for a little baby hook. Again... the game is fast especially for a young big who never plays but the proper play there was absolutely to trust your ability and put a hook up especially since we had a rebounder right there.

Again... I have not watched it again, only in real time.

He asked about both. I only included the last one.
I find this whole conversation stupid. I find the idea of playing Quincy at the 5 stupid. I find the idea of Buddy at the 3 stupid. I wish we didn't need Edwards for that long but we did. He struggled but was doing the best he could do and even forced one turnover after he committed one.

I find this whole conversation stupid. I find the idea of playing Quincy at the 5 stupid. I find the idea of Buddy at the 3 stupid. I wish we didn't need Edwards for that long but we did. He struggled but was doing the best he could do and even forced one turnover after he committed one.
You're angry this morning. I get it though.

Question for the board. What's your preference on that last play? Edwards going up straight like he did, or fouling and making him earn it from the line?

Obviously, beating him to the spot and getting a charge call would have been the ideal scenario, but just curious how you all would play that.

Ya go small vs a physical team that’s killing us down low for points lol. Where do you guys come up with this stuff smh.

Question for the board. What's your preference on that last play? Edwards going up straight like he did, or fouling and making him earn it from the line?

Obviously, beating him to the spot and getting a charge call would have been the ideal scenario, but just curious how you all would play that.
You contest the shot. You don't commit an obvious foul but you certainly have to challenge as much as possible. It's not like an and 1 is any different in that spot.

The game is fast especially that last play. This is a split second to make a decision. It's tough. If we could do that play over, you would hope Edwards contests it a bit more.