Why is the TBT basketball so bad? | Syracusefan.com

Why is the TBT basketball so bad?

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
For the most part the level of play in this event is dreadful. This year seemed the worst to me probably due to COVID, but the basketball is never good. Is it coaching? Inability to define and accept roles? Loyalty to players who's time has passed? The product is just really not good.

How long do these guys practice together in a normal year? I’d guess not very long, and I’d say that’s the reason. This isn’t their season. It’s one tournament with teams thrown together, that don’t play together for very long.

How long do these guys practice together in a normal year? I’d guess not very long, and I’d say that’s the reason. This isn’t their season. It’s one tournament with teams thrown together, that don’t play together for very long.
That is a good point and lack of cohesion I totally understand, but I've seen random pick up games with better basketball concepts displayed.

These guys have been in quarantine for months, and aside from that the tournaments young and still finding its legs.

The quality of play has been down this year because guys haven't been playing ball professionally due to leagues shutting down. This is the first time in months they've played and practiced in a team environment. It took a few games for the rust to be shaken off for the teams that advanced. In for a good Final Four and Championship though.

For the most part the level of play in this event is dreadful. This year seemed the worst to me probably due to COVID, but the basketball is never good. Is it coaching? Inability to define and accept roles? Loyalty to players who's time has passed? The product is just really not good.
It's not because of coaching. Foremost, its talent, and then conditioning and team chemistry.

Lack of defined roles, hero ball, rustiness are probably the top three culprits.
I wish JAB were there to chew them out and yank them after bad decisions. He'd have had a field day. :)

Team chemistry is tough. Teams usually play through their best players. Unfortunately, everyone plays or thinks they are the best player and goes one on one.

I’m just usually surprised the outside shooting is so bad. And in our case, the badness doesn’t seem to dissuade us from continuing the badness.

But it’s still on the fun side, as long as we’re in contention. I don’t think I’ve watched more than one game in the TBT history that didn’t include us.

I think you underestimate how high the level of play is too. The players are CLEARLY better than all but the very best college players. I'd say it's about the same level of play as the G-league with a bit less cohesion and chemistry. But that cohesion and chemistry is what separates the teams in the TBT. Watch Overseas Elite. They'd be a top 5 college BB team every year, probably top #1 honestly.

Our shooting percentage was such an aberration this year. Look at these stats. Crazy how well we shot from the line though.

1594661125093.png

Our shooting percentage was such an aberration this year. Look at these stats. Crazy how well we shot from the line though.

View attachment 183837

Awful -- second to last.

And IMO, correlated to the flawed approach with which we've constructed a roster of shooters in a tournament that is geared for players who can create easy scoring opportunities in transition, and force turnovers to get out and run.

Meanwhile, our offensive concept in most games seems to break down, forcing us to settle for long threes and lapse into long stretches of ineffectual 1-on-1 play.

Yeah I really don't think the quality of play is as bad as you think. These guys are pros.

It may not be fluid like watching a full-on team playing (college or pro), but these guys do things that are pretty impressive.

Also, quality of play should not be confused with entertainment level. These games feature shot making and individual play a lot.
Just take it for what it's worth and it improves your ability to watch and enjoy.

Sour gripes because we had wide open looks from 3 and couldn't hit any of them. Meh better 3 point shooting individually in general and most of the guys you saw on BA hang around the league and get second contracts.

These guys aren't as athletic as you remember them in college but they are close to it unlike that Big 3 impossible to watch crap. They care so the defensive intensity is high and there's a good amount of turnovers. Not terrible ball handling and careless no look passes.

Its good enough ball that I can watch non BA games even if I don't care about them. I haven't had anything better to watch than Sideline vs Marquette since March I'll tune in tomorrow.