Why keita at the end over Rak? | Syracusefan.com

Why keita at the end over Rak?

jec1521

2nd String
Not that I'm complaining, because Keita played great. But I wanted to see if anyone had an explanation.

GO CUSE

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Defense? He is the best at not leaving his feet when the opposition penetrates. He's also good at the screen for the guards at the top of the arc on O.

I am surprised rak didn't play more though. Very few subs this game. Guys are probably tired as hell right now.

Count me as surprised as well.

I just don't see what everyone else sees with BMK. He's a hot mess out there. Sure he's active, but he's out of position so much. And his flops are just awful.

Rak definitely could have played more [Marsh and I were discussing that late in the 2nd half, in fact].

But tough to argue with what Keita was doing. Rak was in when we gave up a flurry of point-blank layups at the beginning of the second half. JB subbed for Keita, and since Keita performed well he got the PT today.

I thought Rak played well today. Hard to argue with the result though...

I would have to go back and rewatch, but I'm going to guess it had to do with how many times that Louisville was able to get behind the zone for easy shots. BMK is a little more active in the back of the zone.

Don't ever question James Arthur Boeheim!! If you do we will will cues you and call you Igor!!

Way too harsh of an assessment on BMK.

Perhaps, but I used one play by Keita to illustrate a point to my kid as to why you need to get your hands up on defense. Keita moved to the foul line to contest the big white guy who then passed it immediately over BMKs head which ended up with CJ getting a foul and an and 1 situation.

Perhaps, but I used one play by Keita to illustrate a point to my kid as to why you need to get your hands up on defense. Keita moved to the foul line to contest the big white guy who then passed it immediately over BMKs head which ended up with CJ getting a foul and an and 1 situation.

So one play makes him a hot mess? No defense is impregnable.

Keita is consistent. This year, he is actually even finishing the scoring plays he's supposed to and isn't a complete liability offensively. He's a reasonably good FT shooter. He's a decent shotblocker. And he's been through the wars, so Boeheim has confidence in him.

That doesn't mean that he doesn't have weaknesses. He's not that strong, he can get pushed around a little, etc.

But IMO, we are lucky to have him as our "third" string center. Not many teams have a player of BMK's caliber as the third guy in the pivot rotation.

Short answer... because JB thought he was the best choice out there. And given the outcome, who can argue?

He is asking why JB made this move

So one play makes him a hot mess? No defense is impregnable.

Keita is consistent. This year, he is actually even finishing the scoring plays he's supposed to and isn't a complete liability offensively. He's a reasonably good FT shooter. He's a decent shotblocker. And he's been through the wars, so Boeheim has confidence in him.

That doesn't mean that he doesn't have weaknesses. He's not that strong, he can get pushed around a little, etc.

But IMO, we are lucky to have him as our "third" string center. Not many teams have a player of BMK's caliber as the third guy in the pivot rotation.

Definitely a fair point on his offense. I've been extremely pleased to see his hands have improved so much.

I'd still have liked to see more of Rak. I think he's better all around.

Rak definitely could have played more [Marsh and I were discussing that late in the 2nd half, in fact].

But tough to argue with what Keita was doing. Rak was in when we gave up a flurry of point-blank layups at the beginning of the second half. JB subbed for Keita, and since Keita performed well he got the PT today.

Shocked he wasnt in there as RF said. It worked out but I was very surprised

Question about Baye: Did he have surgery in the off-season? His wrist, right? That must be the explanation for his improved hands.

Short answer... because JB thought he was the best choice out there. And given the outcome, who can argue?

He's not arguing - he's asking. And "because we won" doesn't answer the question.

I would assume it's because Baye runs the floor so well and gets back on defense. You can't defend if you aren't down the court to be in a position to do so. Rak has to bring more energy on a consistent basis. Looks like JB made the right decision.

Here's my answer as to why. Although I think Rak is a better shot blocker and athlete, there are times when BMK just stops any tall low post player from getting good looks. He's the one man swarm! He gets up close to them, and they have hard times finishing bunnies due to this. I must have said this every time he's in there at the end. He doesn't swat the shot as often, but Gorgui and interior players missed some easy ones and coughed it up a couple of times because of his defensive position.

Behanan and Dieng, a combined 4 for 13.

Here's my answer as to why. Although, I think Rak is a better shot blocker and athlete, there are times when BMK just stops any tall low post player from getting good looks. He's the one man swarm! He gets up close to them, and they have hard times finishing bunnies due to this. I must have said this every time he's in there at the end. He doesn't swat the shot as often, but Gorgui and interior players missed some easy ones and coughed it up a couple of times because of his defensive position.

Behanan and Dieng, a combined 4 for 13.

I like the one man swarm line. One thing Baye does very well is use the baseline and even the backboard as a defender. His positioning is great... Now if only he could draw a charge instead of being called for about two blocking fouls a game.

I like the one man swarm line. One thing Baye does very well is use the baseline and even the backboard as a defender. His positioning is great... Now if only he could draw a charge instead of bring called for about two blocking fouls a game.
Backboard as a defender, absolutely. I noticed this might be rubbing off on Rak, Grant and even DC2. I'm almost positive I saw DC2 use the backboard to help him force the offensive player to force a tough shot in the first half this game. And if Grant and Rak use it too, DAYUM we've got length!

Lol, his blocking fouls were his attempts at drawing the charge :)

I'm aware he was trying to draw a charge. I'm looking for a better success rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom