Why keita at the end over Rak? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why keita at the end over Rak?

obviously not speaking for JB, but probably bc Rak was on the bench for so long he didn't want to put him in cold. baye gave up 2 crucial offensive rebounds on ft's, which seems to happen way too often. i think JB would have made the move if he hadn't been on the bench for so long. imo baye is way too limited to play long stretches of minutes. just hurts you way too much, but we got away with it today, and that's all that matters

I'm aware he was trying to draw a charge. I'm looking for a better success rate.
Yeah, I'm slow due to beer. Figured that out after I posted. :)

Since BMK brings less on offense, this had to be for defensive purposes. And the difference in D would seem to be the decision making process of when to go leave the basket and recovery time. BMK seems a little quicker.

Who knows all the reasons for the bobble by Dieng. But one may have been the his perception of the need to put the shot up quickly.

Rak definitely could have played more [Marsh and I were discussing that late in the 2nd half, in fact].

But tough to argue with what Keita was doing. Rak was in when we gave up a flurry of point-blank layups at the beginning of the second half. JB subbed for Keita, and since Keita performed well he got the PT today.
Rak had some good rebounds...I liked how was playing save for that point you mention.

Question about Baye: Did he have surgery in the off-season? His wrist, right? That must be the explanation for his improved hands.
Yes. He had surgery on his hand. He was essentially playing one-handed last year.

Rak was basically nonexistent in the second half. He gave up that soft and-one on the fast break in the second and that was all she wrote. It would have been nice to see Coleman a bit more in the sound half as he was helping us dominate the boards.

But IMO, we are lucky to have him as our "third" string center. Not many teams have a player of BMK's caliber as the third guy in the pivot rotation.

Without a doubt, he's a great option for a no. 3 Center. But I too thought he was given too much run today. He is a better post defender than Rak, but it seems like the rebounding suffers with him in (Louisville really was able to crash the O boards), and the lob is out of the equation with him on O. His ability to convert a simple layup has improved 100% however.

[quote="OrangeFoo, post: 501016, member: 2]It would have been nice to see Coleman a bit more in the sound half as he was helping us dominate the boards.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing, but then I looked at the box score, and saw he had 1 rebound.

Without a doubt, he's a great option for a no. 3 Center. But I too thought he was given too much run today. He is a better post defender than Rak, but it seems like the rebounding suffers with him in (Louisville really was able to crash the O boards), and the lob is out of the equation with him on O. His ability to convert a simple layup has improved 100% however.

i have to disagree i don't think he is anywhere near the defender rak. he gets beat consistently. he is good for 8-10m/g but anything more then that is pushing it. still he is the best 3rd string center in the country

Not that I'm complaining, because Keita played great. But I wanted to see if anyone had an explanation.

GO CUSE

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Transition defense. No doubt in my mind.

Transition defense. No doubt in my mind.
JB was chafed when Roc didn't get back and then compounded the problem with a soft and one foul.

JB was chafed when Roc didn't get back and then compounded the problem with a soft and one foul.
Yep. Thought it was a cheap foul by Rak, but Keita is a gazelle, easy choice by JB.

Yep. Thought it was a cheap foul by Rak, but Keita is a gazelle, easy choice by JB.
I'm optimistic Chinoso will be our next gazelle based on reports we've received about his motor and ability to get up and down the court.

As for DC not getting much run, he still brings the ball down every time to gather himself .. its not gonna cut against strong athletic defenders

baye almost cost us the game. whenever he is in we get killed on the glass. another 2 off rebs of ft's
Keita earns minutes by working his ass off. Hard work>talent.

he's a liability

It is a major pet peeve though that Baye keeps giving up offensive rebounds on missed freebies. JB lit into him about it.

It is a major pet peeve though that Baye keeps giving up offensive rebounds on missed freebies. JB lit into him about it.
twice today, and i think 4 or 5 on the season. just can't happen

twice today, and i think 4 or 5 on the season. just can't happen
It seemed like it happened a lot last year too and Baye wasn't the only culprit.

Is Rak better than Baye? Seriously? I really don't see that leap with Xmas like we did with Fab. He's kinda the same dude.

Yeah. JB was pretty hot about Rak a few times. At some point, maybe he'd had enough

Keita is a specialty player. He is fantastic in some situations and unusable in others.

His problem is he lacks strength and can be bullied by opposing big guys.

But for all Louisville's size, they really dont have a power low post offensive player. They got to the basket with good spacing and crisp passing.

If you want someone to be smart and cover the right places, and be quick enough to get to the right place at the right time, even in transition, Baye is your man.

In this game I thought Chrsitmas and Coleman struggled knowing exactly where they had to be (and struggled sometimes in transition) Keita was able to fix all those problems, and Louisville really doesnt have the personnel to exploit his weakness.

Keita had some big rebounds. Did some get away from him? Sure they did, but fair and grant should be of equal blame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom