Why Southerland MUST start | Syracusefan.com

Why Southerland MUST start

Cuse4

Scout Team
bottom line is we need his ability to score... If we were to go the route of BT, MCW, CJ, DC2, ROC, I can see us having those really bad starts to games where we can not put the ball in the bucket and are down 12-0 in the blink of an eye. Although streaky, Southerland is a legitimate threat that will keep the D honest. Also a great defender who understands playing the back of the 2-3. Yes, Coleman would bring an inside presence, but I think that we are going to pleasantly surprised with Xmas' improvement offensively(as he showed flashes of a post game as a Freshman)...
Just have to wonder if a promise was made by the coaching staff to DC2 as far as him starting from day 1. I know JB insists he does not do this, but who knows for sure.

IMHO the only guy who lacks an effective offensive game in our starting lineup is Christmas. With DC2, we actually have a guy we can dump the ball down low who can score the ball - that has been a weakness recently. I hope Christmas is improved offensively this year and the fact of the matter is that Southerland will see plenty of time - no way he starts though.

IMHO the only guy who lacks an effective offensive game in our starting lineup is Christmas. With DC2, we actually have a guy we can dump the ball down low who can score the ball - that has been a weakness recently. I hope Christmas is improved offensively this year and the fact of the matter is that Southerland will see plenty of time - no way he starts though.
I'm not so sure that DC2 will be a guy we will be able to feed in the post right away. Whenever he played against legit comp in camps, all star games etc. he had trouble scoring inside. He would have his shot blocked alot as he would not really bring the ball up high enough and try to draw fouls. Think he might be too used playing against the lower comp. Anyways, I'd like to see him come off the bench. Plus it would take a little pressure off him.

Rak will be ready this year. He has had his Freshman time under fire. I think his scoring, rebounding,and blocking will be much better especiallly with the experience from last year. He looks like a monster and with DC2 there will be no pushing our front line around ... for sure. CJ starts. No question. Rak and DC2 start ... No question. We need Dirty to come in as 6th man to relieve Rak and CJ. Our 6th man has been our most potent weapon for the past several years ... no change with Dirty coming in off the bench. He will get significant pt

Ibelieve MCW will be the guy to get us a bucket when were in a drought to start a game. While Southerland is streaky and can be lights out when hes on, he can be the total opposite when hes not. I hope we see more consistency from him this yr because he has so much athleticism and range its ridiculous. If he can develop any kind of handle and create any kind of first step, then I could def see him getting just as much time as CJ at the 3 and spend some time at the 4 when were playing smaller. We all know, JB is going with CJ down the stretch in tight games.

bottom line is we need his ability to score... If we were to go the route of BT, MCW, CJ, DC2, ROC, I can see us having those really bad starts to games where we can not put the ball in the bucket and are down 12-0 in the blink of an eye. Although streaky, Southerland is a legitimate threat that will keep the D honest. Also a great defender who understands playing the back of the 2-3. Yes, Coleman would bring an inside presence, but I think that we are going to pleasantly surprised with Xmas' improvement offensively(as he showed flashes of a post game as a Freshman)...
Just have to wonder if a promise was made by the coaching staff to DC2 as far as him starting from day 1. I know JB insists he does not do this, but who knows for sure.
except if he starts, we stink. He plays great against the NorthSouthEasterly Western Idaho State A&Ts of the world. Not so great otherwise. I have never been sold that he has the mental make up to be a big time player. Give him CJ's head and heart and he is a SU ATG.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

except if he starts, we stink. He plays great against the NorthSouthEasterly Western Idaho State A&Ts of the world. Not so great otherwise. I have never been sold that he has the mental make up to be a big time player. Give him CJ's head and heart and he is a SU ATG.

Not true based on this past season... Yea he had the lengthy cold streak, but was huge for us in several big games

Boeheim will use the players that match up vs the defense maybe offense that they are facing. If Southerland can score vs man that would give SU a very nice problem to have.

cmon - dirty was huge last year and you know it. no need to drag the political negativity over here to hoops- lets not put a dark stain on the brightest hope for su sports getting a nc this year.

Dirty seems more like a better fit as instant shooter off the bench. It's not like he is some dynamic scorer. He is pretty much a catch and shoot guy and its not like he gives you a ton of upside in the rebounding or defensive department.

Whether he starts or not, Southerland will have a break-out year. Count on it.

Dirty seems more like a better fit as instant shooter off the bench. It's not like he is some dynamic scorer. He is pretty much a catch and shoot guy and its not like he gives you a ton of upside in the rebounding or defensive department.
Not just a shooter; I think the rest of the game was coming to him toward the end of last year.

I would also like to see Southerland start. In my opinion, with all else being equal you should start your shooters and bring your energy guys off the bench. We have already seen that Fair plays well off the bench. I think Southerland would benefit from a highly defined role (which being a starter gives you).

Having said that, my guess is that Fair ends up being the starter. And no matter who starts, the two guys are going to play a similar amount of minutes. I think you are overstating our reliance on Southerland. He has a chance to be our leading scorer this year, but we will be good with any of the 8 guys in our rotation on the court.

Southerland and Triche are gatekeepers. MCW, Fair and Coleman will have to take us where we need to go.

I really like Southerland coming off the bench. That's been a winning formula the last several years, having that dynamic scorer as a 6th man to provide some instant energy and offense, and I think JS could be that guy this year. It's funny because I sometimes get down on JS because he's always struck me as such an underachiever - i have trouble shaking the impression that despite all his talent -the guy's 6'8 and arguable the most athletic guy on the team with one of the sweetest 3 pt strokes i've seen - he's just a one trick pony who catches and shoots the 3, but does so at a mediocre level. But that wasn't the case last year - he really emerged as a better rounded player. He was rebounding better and blocking shots and playing very solid overall defense despite his thin frame. And just as important, he's becoming a much more effective scorer from 2 pt range - both his midrange jump shot and his offensive game closer to the basket really were starting to come around last year. His overall field goal % was better than Kris Joseph's, even though JS shot less than 35% from 3. I even read somewhere that according to one of the main KenPom efficiency statistics, that JS was our 3rd most efficent player - behind only Waiters and MCW. If JS can improve on his game this year as much as he did last year, he'll be one of the favorites to win the BE 6th man of the year award, and might even be in the national discussion for 6th man.

Considering that Triche is likely to be the teams leading scorer, he's a pretty good gatekeeper :)

I think this post should say why Dirty Won't start.
Its very unlikely JB would go away from twin horses DC2 and Rak early on imo.

But, that being said I also feel DC2 or Fair could be a huge piece off the bench.
We already have Cooney off the bench as a shooter, we could use the isolation guy to go with him.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like MCW, Triche, CJ, Southerland Rak
Then subbing in Dajuan for CJ or James and Cooney in for Triche or MCW whatever one makes most sense at the time. I think it would keep us more balenced. But, hard to turn away from that Rak and Dajuan pound combo. I think its unlikely JB will turn away from the close shot attempts, intimidation, and fear of early fouls it puts on opponents.

Good points. I'm also not sure that CJ has the offensive repertoire and ability to get a basket 1-on-1 to be a conference POY or all league. We're lucky to have both of them, however.

I'm for starting James he is a rhythm player who probably had more plays per minute ran for him than any other player last so let get his rhythm early. Not only that but if he simple stands at the 3pt line teams will defend him, which is huge when feeding the post. CJ has 7 made 3s for his career! Who wouldn't double down off of him.

I'm for starting James he is a rhythm player who probably had more plays per minute ran for him than any other player last so let get his rhythm early. Not only that but if he simple stands at the 3pt line teams will defend him, which is huge when feeding the post. CJ has 7 made 3s for his career! Who wouldn't double down off of him.

We need to get Southerland a 12-15 foot easy shot early in the game. When that happens, he gets both rhythm and confidence. He can then go for the 3-pointers.

In the past 90 seconds, I've read that Scoop got his pocket picked by opposing guards at an "alarming rate" last year and that Southerland never plays well against good teams (and that Syracuse will "stink" if he's a starter this year).

I wonder if we all watch the same games. But it's nice to have some activity on this board again.

In the past 90 seconds, I've read that Scoop got his pocket picked by opposing guards at an "alarming rate" last year and that Southerland never plays well against good teams (and that Syracuse will "stink" if he's a starter this year).

I wonder if we all watch the same games. But it's nice to have some activity on this board again.

I don't think we (the board) have ever watched the same game! But it is better than being on pins and needles waiting for the next recruit to commit!

I think SU will be a much better team with Dirty on the floor, and personally I would start him, but from the sound of things, JB has determined that his best use will be off the bench as a sixth man deluxe. JB has put two 30 win, BE champion teams on the floor in the last three seasons, and both of them featured Sixth Man of the Year guys off the bench. Seems like that kind of spark is what he is aiming for again and JB knows much much better than I. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dirty leading all forwards in minutes, whether he starts or not.

I think SU will be a much better team with Dirty on the floor, and personally I would start him, but from the sound of things, JB has determined that his best use will be off the bench as a sixth man deluxe. JB has put two 30 win, BE champion teams on the floor in the last three seasons, and both of them featured Sixth Man of the Year guys off the bench. Seems like that kind of spark is what he is aiming for again and JB knows much much better than I. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dirty leading all forwards in minutes, whether he starts or not.

But Wes Johnson in 2010 was best scorer and he started and last Kris Jo was our best scoring forward and he started. You can argue that JB did that with the guards Scoop and Dion respectively but forwards he puts his scorer on the court and puts size next to him, then came with speed off the bench and played a little smaller. The thing is Both CJ and James are going to get more attention from defenses than they have ever had in their lives the person who handles it the best should start and I think that is James.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom