Why we should "bench" Southerland-hear me out | Syracusefan.com

Why we should "bench" Southerland-hear me out

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
We cannot afford him to get in foul trouble and I don't recall it being an issue when he came off the bench. We have shut down when he's gotten in foul trouble-might be psychological or just the other team smells blood. We need to start Grant, get him a bit engaged, and bring JS off the bench a few minutes in.

ummm (hearing you out). no.

Edit: Although I do agree agree with the premise that grant needs to be subbed in more to prevent fouls piling up on james. The only problem is Grant has be so damn ineffective lately.

maybe in the 1st round. not in the sweet 16 vs the #1 seed

My biggest frustration with JB this year is how he handled Jerami when James came back. He shouldn't have marginalized him. He should've continued to force-feed JG 15-20 minutes a game and we'd have a really usueful bench player right now. At this point it's only 3-6 minutes for JG and only to rest our forwards.:(

I honestly would have preferred this approach down the stretch, whether it meant starting Jerami or inserting DC2 back into the lineup. Either way it keeps them involved and gives us the scoring punch off the bench that we now lack. Literally every one of our decent scorers is in our starting 5 so if we need to go to the bench we're kinda screwed in that regard.

My biggest frustration with JB this year is how he handled Jerami when James came back. He shouldn't have marginalized him. He should've continued to force-feed JG 15-20 minutes a game and we'd have a really usueful bench player right now. At this point it's only 3-6 minutes for JG and only to rest our forwards.:(
JB always shortens the rotation in March, even if JG got more PT in February, we woudl still see Fair and Southerland for the same amount of time that we do now.

Grant was not going to minutes in March unless Southerland was in foul trouble, regardless of how much he played in February.

JB always shortens the rotation in March, even if JG got more PT in February, we woudl still see Fair and Southerland for the same amount of time that we do now.

Grant was not going to minutes in March unless Southerland was in foul trouble, regardless of how much he played in February.

Okay, but I still disagree with it because JG is a special player. He was one of our guys who created mismatches and he also had an inside game, something this team desperately needs.

I was with you on this at the end of the season, and then the Big East Tourney happened, and James blew up... Too bad, because I think Jerami provided a good matchup for an inside presence for us when he was playing and rolling, and South was great in his sixth man role. No way they change the recipe now (barring injury)...

If he gets 2 in the first half I would sit him for the half though. Even if we tend to have better first halfs this year most of the time.

Our offense is dependent on Mike driving with or without the pick and roll and Southerland opens that up. Teams won't play Fair on the perimeter like they do southerland or Mike would have a field day. Although Fair is a pretty good shooter.

At this point that cant happen. He needs to not commit the silly stupid fouls tonight that he has been committing in recent games. If he gets his second before halftime JB cant afford to play him and risk him getting his third.

Okay, but I still disagree with it because JG is a special player. He was one of our guys who created mismatches and he also had an inside game, something this team desperately needs.
I agree with you, I think JG is a relaly good player and could help us right now, but JB has always done this. He even said in his PC yesterday (when talking about MCW) that he usually doesn't like playing freshman.

At this point that cant happen. He needs to not commit the silly stupid fouls tonight that he has been committing in recent games. If he gets his second before halftime JB cant afford to play him and risk him getting his third.
But if we picks up his 2nd, JB will roll the dice and leave him out there. He almost always does.

I was with you on this at the end of the season, and then the Big East Tourney happened, and James blew up... Too bad, because I think Jerami provided a good matchup for an inside presence for us when he was playing and rolling, and South was great in his sixth man role. No way they change the recipe now (barring injury)...
Be honest, CaliCuse created your screen name, right?

I understand your logic, but I think JB wants to come out of the gate quickly & spread the floor more.

Southy has been the great shooter we need to open up the interior, & even if he comes out shooting less than stellar, Indiana will come out on him at the beginning, based on his reputation.

As far as the foul situation, it's not like we have only a one foul margin for error. If Southerland gets 2 fouls early, JB can pull him intermittently & go from there. Remember, he is also quite athletic & able to make big plays around the rim like that driving dunk in the last game.

Regardless, I think we need him out there from the start.

I understand your logic, but I think JB wants to come out of the gate quickly & spread the floor more.

Southy has been the great shooter we need to open up the interior, & even if he comes out shooting less than stellar, Indiana will come out on him at the beginning, based on his reputation.

As far as the foul situation, it's not like we have only a one foul margin for error. If Southerland gets 2 fouls early, JB can pull him intermittently & go from there. Remember, he is also quite athletic & able to make big plays around the rim like that driving dunk in the last game.

good post, mantonio.

The fact that some IU fans (and some of us) have even mentioned Oladipo guarding JS tells you all you need to know really. It's possible IU sees him as our best offensive player. He has to be out there.

The fact that some IU fans (and some of us) have even mentioned Oladipo guarding JS tells you all you need to know really. It's possible IU sees him as our best offensive player. He has to be out there.
Which is baffling to me and just confirms that few IU fans have really watched us play. I like Dirty, I really do, but he's most definitely not our best offensive player. He's our best shooter, and that's it. Fair is light years ahead of him in terms of overall offensive game.

I agree with you, I think JG is a relaly good player and could help us right now, but JB has always done this. He even said in his PC yesterday (when talking about MCW) that he usually doesn't like playing freshman.

i couldn't even estimate how many times i have heard him say this during his career. kind of baffling actually. he said the same thing after another game this year where JG got the quick hook for not getting out on a shooter. actually made it a point to say that's why Freshman don't play at Syracuse. If handled properly I really believe JG could have been a difference maker right now. Instead he got Boeheimed

Which is baffling to me and just confirms that few IU fans have really watched us play. I like Dirty, I really do, but he's most definitely not our best offensive player. He's our best shooter, and that's it. Fair is light years ahead of him in terms of overall offensive game.
Agreed.

Although, Fair is going to get his, he'll get between 14-20 no matter who is guarding him. Southerland can go off for 30 and really win us the game single handily if he's on from deep; that's the only reasoning I can think of to put Oladipo on him (although I think Southerland will still get shots off if VO guards him).

I love CJ, but he isn't going off for 30. Southerland could.

if I was Crean I would have Olidipo harass MCW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom