Wildhack on Orange Nation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack on Orange Nation

JW said we have a good recruiting class coming in ranked 12 out of 17 In the ACC. That means we are 12 of 14 without the new schools. He thinks that’s good? It pathetic. Number 53 will not close the gap on anyone in the ACC. If we aren’t at least top 30 we are not going to have winning ACC records. John is being as naive as Dino. It’s pretty sad.
It’s a radio interview where he is doing PR. He is a not there to say his true thoughts or bash the current state of the program.

So the goal is a bowl. Should be the minimum.
6-6 can’t be in a vacuum. The losses have to be respectable. Go 10-3 and you can have an embarrassing loss.

Letting go of a coach should be done late in season or at the end of the year. After a bowl game is way too late.

Agree 144%.

Yeah, the bowl game result - regardless of whether it's great, awful, or anywhere in between -
shouldn't matter at all in the firing decision matrix.

IF you want him gone, you do so immediately after the final game, or even earlier -
waiting til after the bowl game result dramatically limits your options for a replacement.

If we look listless and get crushed by BC (which, I surely do NOT want to see happen, but it might), should result in that being his final game as HC. Given that it would then be 5 straight awful L's.
And also make it incredibly unlikely that even a bowl berth could be salvaged under his watch.

We're going 6-6 Dino will return and next year will be a ghost town in the dome.
I dont think going 6-6 changes much of anything. The goal was a bowl game. Get there and move on. You cant be dissing a coach mid season and expect the team to perform and get to a bowl game.

An AD may need to answer questions for some fans but you still need to help the teams perform too.

It’s a radio interview where he is doing PR. He is a not there to say his true thoughts or bash the current state of the program.
I read it in the paper not on the radio.

The AD anwsers to the board of trustees.. If there is no money to buy out a contract he cant willy nilly just do it no matter what fans think or want.

If you ran a business and had a few bad employees and you fire them and now you cant run your business do you do it and close shop?

The record shouldn’t mean everything. Even if they end up 6-6, how can JW look at this program to this point and say it’s trending up. It’s regressed and Dino has shown to be a below average coach, who makes questionable in game decisions every game and whose team is one of the most penalized every season. I could go on and on, but I’m just about over it

Our AD plays basketball on a 6 foot hoop while the rest of p5’s using regulation.

6 wins… after a 4-0 start…

Jesus
Just spare us all of the wasted time, energy and money and say that we don't care about football. If we are here to cash ACC checks and pass the time before basketball starts, say that so I can stop expecting more.

I want a Bowl game for the players not for the coaching staff. These players bust their butts for a whole year to play a game 13. I can’t control Dino’s job, but I won’t stop cheering for our players. I’m not happy about how we’re playing and that’s on Dino and the staff, but I’m not going to hope we lose to get rid of Dino.

The AD anwsers to the board of trustees.. If there is no money to buy out a contract he cant willy nilly just do it no matter what fans think or want.

If you ran a business and had a few bad employees and you fire them and now you cant run your business do you do it and close shop?

Really?

First we have the money. Second if the BoT is not signing off then he should walk away, and it will end this farce. He doesn't need this job and we do not have to support the program any longer. Just end it already. Stop playing your fan base. Third if those bad employees are ruining your company's reputation, keeping them will just make things worse. You will only put yourself in a deeper whole.

I like John Wildhack a lot, good guy, knows the landscape, understands SU's postion within the D1 landscape and made the needed moves for Lax or Bball when a coaching change was indicated. I have faith he understands where we stand with Dino right now and bringing him back barring him going 3-1 or 4-0 down the stretch would be a massive mistake.

That said the Lville comment doesn't add up neither does his claim that SU has sold more tickets now for Friday then they did for the entire Clemson game when the Ticketmaster map looks horrendous.
Bringing Dino back even if he does go 3-1 or 4-0 down the stretch would also be a mistake. At SU, usually the AD is the last to know.

and that was the expectation that JW laid out 2 years ago at the end of 2021 season but most don't want to hear it, listen to it, remember it or whatever you want to call it. Agree with it or disagree with it. I do agree that the last 4 weeks have been horrendous and completely ridiculous really but there is still a chance to right the ship and until there isn't I am not sure what people expect JW to say. It will play itself out for sure
Agree. Let's just let it play out. He said similar things about JB during basketball season and everyone freaked out and JB "retired" at the end of the season.

Last edited:
I only heard the first half because I had to leave and don’t get the channel where I am (was streaming on Wi-Fi) but it sounds like an in season firing is technically on the table but I think it would take another blowout or two. JW wouldn’t rule it out which is telling.

It also seemed (imo) that a bowl game will save him. Ugh. 2025 would be a rough year to break a new coach in.

Exactly. And 2024 is an easy sched. Which means Dino could dispassionately punt his way his way to 6 wins again and once again be saved because "no one wants to force a new coach into the 2025 gauntlet".

Letting go of a coach should be done late in season or at the end of the year. After a bowl game is way to late.
That's the one thing we absolutely can't do is after the bowl game. You're either happy with the direction of the program or you're not. One game can't change that.

Really?

First we have the money. Second if the BoT is not signing off then he should walk away, and it will end this farce. He doesn't need this job and we do not have to support the program any longer. Just end it already. Stop playing your fan base. Third if those bad employees are ruining your company's reputation, keeping them will just make things worse. You will only put yourself in a deeper whole.
I guess.. But we have been bad for a long time and the STH base is not really all that different.

If we dont get a bowl game I am fine with it ending,.. But you cant fire him and the team gets it done, because whats the next guy to think.

We do you think we have the money? are we hiding it someplace for a rainy day?

The only way any legit AD should ever fire a coach after a bowl game is if the coach is caught with hookers and blow in the locker room at half time. If 2004 didn't prove that to the powers at SU, I will become a BC or UConn fan.

I just threw up in my mouth typing that last part.

Last edited:
If you are gonna make a change at head coach, this off season is the time to do it. We’ll have a new QB under center next year, next year might be the easiest schedule Cuse has had in 10+ years. The time would be right.

The only thing is, who would we replace Dino with? We have to make sure we have our ducks in a row before we fire him and make sure we have good, interested candidates.

Yes Dino has had some bad stretches, bad decisions, said questionable things but he has also done a lot of good for this program. He’s one of the longest tenured coaches in Cuse football history, he is a REALLY solid dude and does things the right way, he got us ranked all the way up to 12 for the first time in FOREVER, we have had sellouts in the dome for the first time in FOREVER, he putting GREAT players in the league on a consistent basis and they are studs on Sundays, he got us to our best bowl game in forever…that we won, we won 10 games for the first time in FOREVER, we have gotten out to some of the best starts in program history. Yes there is a lot to knock on Dino and his flaws but he has done ALOT for this program. If we fire him, we need to make sure we are 100% getting someone better. All I’m saying

If you are gonna make a change at head coach, this off season is the time to do it. We’ll have a new QB under center next year, next year might be the easiest schedule Cuse has had in 10+ years. The time would be right.
Our incoming class is also relatively weak. There are not many Michael Vicks on that list ready to decommit.

The only way any legit AD should ever fire a coach after a bowl game is if the coach is caught with hookers and blow in the locker room at half time. If 2004 did prove that to the powers at SU, I will become a BC or UConn fan.

I just threw up in my mouth typing that last part.
As a reminder, Greg Robinson fired before the ND/Cincy games in 2008 and was allowed to finish the season.

if history is any guuide, if BC crushes us on Friday night, i could see a change announced and Dino getting the chance to finish the season. More i think about it, no way JW would want Beck or Rocky to win out and then create a faux "interim to permanent" situation because of end of season miracles. He'd let dino ride it out and publically look for the next guy. Hopefully the next guy could sit in the press box during the bowl game and see how things are looking for 2024.

This BC game will be a massive game for our collective future IMO.

Tix Sold # is important.

ButtsInSeats # is more important.

If you sell a $20 ticket and the person never shows up, congrats, you probably made around $15. But now that seat is accounted for, and empty.

If you sell a $20 ticket and that person comes, parks, eats, and drinks, that $20 can become $60-100 very quickly.

In short -- tickets sold doesn't really mean much, as we all know. Carry on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom