Wildhack rolls the dice! | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack rolls the dice!

Crusty

Living Legend
I have no idea if this will work out or not so I will shut up and support the decision, but I do know that of the three "finalists", Brown is the riskiest.
Jason Candle and Bob Chesney both had years of successful HC experience.

Advantages
  • Likely to get some buzz if only because Brown is a Georgia guy.
  • Smart will give him a good send-off.
  • He does have some extensive recruiting experience in the NE
  • He has seen the best program in the country up close.
  • Georgia is disciplined
  • He must have had one helluva interview so he can sell himself.
  • The kids will probably love him and be impressed with his Georgia cred.
Risks
  • His recruiting at Georgia doesn't impress much as most could recruit for Georgia.
  • His recruiting at Rutgers does not seem to be anything special.
  • A position coach has the biggest jump to HC
  • Rivals will negatively recruit against us for his inexperience
  • He might have a tough time putting a good staff together.
  • No bump in ticket sales.
  • Criticism from the press.
Wildhack has swung for the fences. He will either be hailed as a genius or a turkey. We all need to hope he connects!
I am all in because - well, why not!

I have no idea if this will work out or not so I will shut up and support the decision, but I do know that of the three "finalists", Brown is the riskiest.

Advantages
  • Georgia is disciplined
Risks
  • His recruiting at Georgia doesn't impress much as most could recruit for Georgia.
Wildhack has swung for the fences. He will either be hailed as a genius or a turkey. We all need to hope he connects!
This is a legit high risk high reward situation. The questions are many but the potential to find a diamond in the rough is there.

The biggest question is is he smart enough. Smart enough to make proper on the field in game decisions. Smart enough to put together an effective, And most importantly experienced In the ways he is not, staff and managing them yes, but still letting them do their thing.

Is he smart enough to install discipline, this by NOT being every kids friend, tough love and not being a “players coach”. And is he smart enough to know then implement the out of the box thinking with X’s and O’s And players alike that’ll be necessary to succeed at a school like syracuse.

This position requires lots of smarts, and I’d imagine in the interview process this is what they were trying to glean and decipher.

So if this really is a done deal he must have absolutely killed it in his interviews assuaging any concerns about his “smarts” or at least his potential in that regard.

So with all the known-positives he has in his cache and with this one big issue being addressed that’s all we can go from and support the guy going forward, at least until and after the first game in sept. ‘24, hoping for a Mac like ascent and not a gerg like decent and cratering. As always, time will tell

Last edited:

Advantages
  • Georgia is disciplined
Risks
He will have no problem building a staff at SU

And, as I understand it, he was seen as an effective recruiter before he got to GA.

I’m all in as well.

I think this is a mistake - but really hoping it works out.

To me this is the Miami Hurricanes approach. Just get the recruits to campus and everything else will work itself out. Except it usually doesn’t, and with NIL and the portal it’ll be tough to keep any big name recruits at SU even if he can get them in the first place.

Chesney was the way to go. Will be interesting to watch both of their careers going forward.

To me this is the Miami Hurricanes approach. Just get the recruits to campus and everything else will work itself out. Except it usually doesn’t, and with NIL and the portal it’ll be tough to keep any big name recruits at SU even if he can get them in the first place.

Chesney was the way to go. Will be interesting to watch both of their careers going forward.
man I hope you're wrong, but you might not be. Wanted Chesney as well. Lets hope wildhack knows things we don't and hope to be pleasantly suprised

Getting talented players is the most important factor in building programs.

The bigger, the stronger, the faster the players, the better the coaches will coach.

Funny, I think Chesney would have been a mistake and I am glad we will not find that out.

But what if Chesney said no, and Brown was the third choice? We really don't know, as he may be holding out til the BC spot opens.

Let's not discount him helping to rebuild Baylor. That and being at Temple are far harder circumstances than he'll face at Syracuse and he was successful. He won't be overwhelmed.
True.

What if brown was the 1st choice?
I have wondered whether there really was any search process. If so it certainly did not result in a stellar list of candidates/finalists (other than Mullen who I’m not convinced was for real).

Getting talented players is the most important factor in building programs.

The bigger, the stronger, the faster the players, the better the coaches will coach.
This factor is accelerated by the the new reality of the portal

But what if Chesney said no, and Brown was the third choice? We really don't know, as he may be holding out til the BC spot opens.
Not specifically Chesney but we don't know how risky the pick is because the pool of applicants may have been shallow. Certainly outside the box which is good.

I would have been happy with Chesney but this has more upside. Also to get a HC job after being a position coach means you are very good and a lot of people think you’d make a good HC most of the time when someone skips these steps it’s for good reason.

We’re gonna know soon though this off-season and next offseason are big and we should have won 7-8 games this year there’s no give him time be patient here. If we suck next year it means we botched this.

I believe in the concept that the first phase of any rebuild is enthusiasm and excitement. (See Coach Mac) The second phase is discipline. (See Coach P)

Was HCDB enough of the enthusiasm guy? Is Brown enough of a disciplinarian?

The difference here is that Miami was already getting a lot of the recruits - Syracuse really wasn't. With upper 3 and 4 star recruits, the difference should be significant.

He knows Nunzio from Rutgers so he may keep him, which would be great.

Apparently, Donovan and Herm Frazier were on the small committee that interviewed everyone.

All the Georgia bloggers have high praise for Brown.

He recruited 4 stars as t Temple.

Warming up to this hire.