Wildhack rolls the dice! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack rolls the dice!

You mean like all the 5* at TAM that Fisher brought in and never coached properly. The most important aspect of Football besides god given talent is coaching!
See Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan.

I don’t know for sure that Texas A&M recruited at a top level over the past few years. I do know that Fisher won a NC at FSU and Bobby Petrino was its OC.

There were some great coaches on the A&M staff.

The great teams have the best players.

Last edited:
He will have no problem building a staff at SU

And, as I understand it, he was seen as an effective recruiter before he got to GA.

I’m all in as well.
The thing about you I fully respect as that even if you weren’t all in, you’d still be all in for the good of the program.

Legit respect.

So I’ll give you all an example of some of the BS you have to deal with as an AD. I was told that a group of very prominent alumni was pushing a tag team of Donnie Mac / Paul Pasqualoni as the solution to our coaching problem. Donnie was “SU’s version of Deion”.

They were serious.

They are also the type of alumni that I don’t imagine are told “no” very often.

I don’t think Don has coached in 25-30 years.

I have no idea if this will work out or not so I will shut up and support the decision, but I do know that of the three "finalists", Brown is the riskiest.
Jason Candle and Bob Chesney both had years of successful HC experience.

Advantages
  • Likely to get some buzz if only because Brown is a Georgia guy.
  • Smart will give him a good send-off.
  • He does have some extensive recruiting experience in the NE
  • He has seen the best program in the country up close.
  • Georgia is disciplined
  • He must have had one helluva interview so he can sell himself.
  • The kids will probably love him and be impressed with his Georgia cred.
Risks
  • His recruiting at Georgia doesn't impress much as most could recruit for Georgia.
  • His recruiting at Rutgers does not seem to be anything special.
  • A position coach has the biggest jump to HC
  • Rivals will negatively recruit against us for his inexperience
  • He might have a tough time putting a good staff together.
  • No bump in ticket sales.
  • Criticism from the press.
Wildhack has swung for the fences. He will either be hailed as a genius or a turkey. We all need to hope he connects!
I am all in because - well, why not!
Brown certainly has a lot to sell in the Georgia program. But he has to go head-to-head up against other glamour schools like Alabama, LSU, Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan for the top recruits and he gets more than his share. He was ranked #1 college recruiter by 24/7 Sports. So he must be very persuasive. It's an out of the box move by Wildhack but I like it.

So I’ll give you all an example of some of the BS you have to deal with as an AD. I was told that a group of very prominent alumni was pushing a tag team of Donnie Mac / Paul Pasqualoni as the solution to our coaching problem. Donnie was “SU’s version of Deion”.

They were serious.

That’s insane.

Back in the day it was hire Floyd.

You mean like all the 5* at TAM that Fisher brought in and never coached properly. The most important aspect of Football besides god given talent is coaching!
Jimbo is such a funny example for this argument considering he won a Championship in 2013 where he was carried by an insane roster. Jameis Winston, Kelvin Benjamin, Devonta Freeman, Jalen Ramsey...like half that roster went to the league lol
Jimbo, Gene Chizik and Ed O all got carried by their talent. That doesn't mean coaching isn't important, it is very important at Cuse. But just like good coaching can mask talent deficiencies, 4 and 5 star talent can mask coaching deficiencies. Hopefully we make some Frantastic assistant hires so it doesn't matter.

Havent read through this thread but it seems like peoole are forgetting his recuiting prior to Georgia. Rutgers Baylor and Temple. Its one of the reasons why Kirby went after him. Also has the ability to find under the radar players and develop them. Thats going back to the Addazio/Rhule Temple days.

They were serious.

If he were a few years younger, I think it could work. Fran Brown one way or the other is going to be a 3-4 year solution. Trying to find a 12-15 year solution isn't the worst idea in the world.

Havent read through this thread but it seems like peoole are forgetting his recuiting prior to Georgia. Rutgers Baylor and Temple. Its one of the reasons why Kirby went after him. Also has the ability to find under the radar players and develop them. Thats going back to the Addazio/Rhule Temple days.
I just really hope we hire a seasoned coordinator and he isn’t afraid to hire experience he might be able to lean on in key areas.

They were serious.

Thank you for sharing

Two thoughts

1) Holy Hell, they must have overdone it on the Bourbon
2) Holy hell, was Sam Elliott not available or was he too busy swooning the lovely ladies of syracusefan.com

They were serious.

Good lord. Is this real?

If he were a few years younger, I think it could work. Fran Brown one way or the other is going to be a 3-4 year solution. Trying to find a 12-15 year solution isn't the worst idea in the world.
Who?

McNabb?

You can’t be serious?

He didn’t want to grind when he was a player.

He’d be doing pitchers with the team at whatever bar is left on the hill.

They were serious.

Holy hell.

Who?

McNabb?

You can’t be serious?

He didn’t want to grind when he was a player.

He’d be doing pitchers with the team at whatever bar is left on the hill.

Never mind I thought Jake meant McPherson and not McNabb. That is a different story.

They were serious.

And we ragged on Dan Tortora.

Lo and behold!

They were serious.

Just Wow... added incentive for JW to formalized the process with a search firm.

They were serious.

I'm gonna need the red stiletto back for this one.

They were serious.

Oh hell nahhh... Cocaine is a hell of a drug...