Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

The Big Ten will never take on a program that doesn’t have Pedegree because they don’t have too!! Big Ten has so much money, why would they take on a team like UMass when it brings nothing to the Big Ten at all! it will never happen so the fact that this conversation is even going on it’s just laughable to me
Tell This to Couscuse who is just trolling for attention.
Sadly I can’t contain myself sometimes and respond to this stupid gibberish.

The Big Ten will never take on a program that doesn’t have Pedegree because they don’t have too!! Big Ten has so much money, why would they take on a team like UMass when it brings nothing to the Big Ten at all! it will never happen so the fact that this conversation is even going on it’s just laughable to me
They took on Rutgers for crying out loud and Maryland isn't a whole lot more in football. That's why I could even entertain the idea. They went for market over pedigree and it made their league a lot of money.

Tell This to Couscuse who is just trolling for attention.
Sadly I can’t contain myself sometimes and respond to this stupid gibberish.
See above logic if you can grasp it.

They took on Rutgers for crying out loud and Maryland isn't a whole lot more in football. That's why I could even entertain the idea. They went for market over pedigree and it made their league a lot of money.
How often did UMass play Penn State? Rutgers and Maryland played them quite often. They were chosen purely and simply to keep Penn State happy and in the conference. Maryland won a football natty in the 50s and several ACC championships in the 70s and 80s and in 2001. They also have a very strong Olympic sports program, maybe the best one overall in the B1G (yes I know thatOSU is in the B1G). UMass brings absolutely nothing to the table. As you have been told several times, they do not bring the Boston media market to the B1G and the pricing model, IIRC, has changed so the B1G doesn't get more from providers in the B1G states.
You need to come to grips with the reality that no P5 conference wants UMass. As much as you think that Rutgers is just a non-contributing "mouth to feed" for the B1G, UMass would be much, much worse.

We all know why Rutgers is in the Big Ten obviously and same goes for Maryland. They both are huge state schools with a lot of eyes around them. Those two schools were brought in for money and maybe potential at least from Maryland

Last edited:
How often did UMass play Penn State? Rutgers and Maryland played them quite often. They were chosen purely and simply to keep Penn State happy and in the conference. Maryland won a football natty in the 50s and several ACC championships in the 70s and 80s and in 2001. They also have a very strong Olympic sports program, maybe the best one overall in the B1G (yes I know thatOSU is in the B1G). UMass brings absolutely nothing to the table. As you have been told several times, they do not bring the Boston media market to the B1G and the pricing model, IIRC, has changed so the B1G doesn't get more from providers in the B1G states.
You need to come to grips with the reality that no P5 conference wants UMass. As much as you think that Rutgers is just a non-contributing "mouth to feed" for the B1G, UMass would be much, much worse.
You may be right. But I still believe New England is the only major region of the country that doesn't have a P5 team that people in that region can get behind.

You may be right. But I still believe New England is the only major region of the country that doesn't have a P5 team that people in that region can get behind.

Here is a list of the schools the B1G would currently consider: Association of American Universities. UMass is not on it. The only exception was Notre Dame.

The alumni and school presidents care about the academic character of the conference as a whole. Nebraska is also not on the list, but was when it was extended an invitation to join the B1G.

Here is a list of the schools the B1G would currently consider: Association of American Universities. UMass is not on it. The only exception was Notre Dame.

The alumni and school presidents care about the academic character of the conference as a whole. Nebraska is also not on the list, but was when it was extended an invitation to join the B1G.
Thought the AAU accreditation was passe at this point.

You will have to read the whole thread Dave. In addition, there is a substantial amount of "discussions" on this subject in my archives.
Doesn't make his point any less valid. You said what you said.

Well, I certainly agree with him on that point. ;)

Solid points. I had forgotten all about Gordie Lockbaum. That did hurt McPherson's candidacy. I think u make a good point about McPherson not coming in with any hype. That can be tough to overcome. I get the argument against Brown but I've never advocated for Brown. My point was more that nobody really stepped up with a performance that solidly distanced themselves from the pack.

Just a few counters to consider: 1) McPherson's completion percentage at 56% probably didn't impress voters all that much; 2) the reality is that the 1987 team was as much or more about defense. I believe in eight of the 12 games the defense held the opponent to no more than one TD; 3) Not Donny's fault but the strength of schedule was kinda meh, we did not have one win over an opponent that finished in the top 20 (they didn't do top 25 back then) final poll.
We did beat three teams that beat ND that year. Penn st, Pitt and B.C..

Doesn't make his point any less valid. You said what you said.
BC has no fans, even their alumni are fans of another team. They probably have the least fan following of any P5 team, and less than most G5 teams. That's how precarious the ACC's hold on that market is.

Last edited:
We did beat three teams that beat ND that year. Penn st, Pitt and B.C..

I guess if it were about the best team then Steve Walsh would have won the award.

D882DFF9-8C9A-47CE-8F6C-646A68F353E9.gif

Are they older alums? I notice the younger alumni do not care as much.
Yeah, I don’t know any young ND alumni who even begin to care, and I don’t know anyone under 40 without an attachment to ND who sees ND as anything other than just another school.

Nothing will happen for a decade or two, but I think time are a changin’

IMHO, Michigan is in a similar boat. Losing 15/16 (or whatever it is) to your rival has to sting. I think they’re going the way of UCLA basketball. They have a great history and are still very relevant, but they are fighting demographics and economics that are hard to overcome, even with severely overrated academics, annoying alumni, and a really big stadium.

To be fair, the Big Ten took Rutgers.

They will take whoever Penn State tells them to take, and they’ll smile and like it.

But Penn State isn’t about to start caring about UMass, so my above comment is somewhat moot.

Yeah, I don’t know any young ND alumni who even begin to care, and I don’t know anyone under 40 without an attachment to ND who sees ND as anything other than just another school.

Nothing will happen for a decade or two, but I think time are a changin’

IMHO, Michigan is in a similar boat. Losing 15/16 (or whatever it is) to your rival has to sting. I think they’re going the way of UCLA basketball. They have a great history and are still very relevant, but they are fighting demographics and economics that are hard to overcome, even with severely overrated academics, annoying alumni, and a really big stadium.

Decade or two half this place will be dead. Think this is on the sooner than we think track.

To be fair, the Big Ten took Rutgers.

They will take whoever Penn State tells them to take, and they’ll smile and like it.

But Penn State isn’t about to start caring about UMass, so my above comment is somewhat moot.
New England is a very good place to recruit high level high school students to your university. It's not just about sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom