Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

New England is a very good place to recruit high level high school students to your university. It's not just about sports.
And good luck getting those New England students to go to school at a glorified DMV with a football stadium attached on a literal farm in Pennsyltucky, "the Alabama of the North." PSU knows their market.

To be fair, the Big Ten took Rutgers.

They will take whoever Penn State tells them to take, and they’ll smile and like it.

But Penn State isn’t about to start caring about UMass, so my above comment is somewhat moot.
Like you said Penn state, definitely has something to do with it so you can have much easier travel. Definitely a huge reason why they took Rutgers and Maryland Was eyeballs, plAin n simple!!!!. It was strictly for money n was strictly to help the Big Ten network so let’s not be naïve

Last edited:
Like you said Penn state, definitely has something to do with it so you can have much easier travel. Definitely a huge reason why they took Rutgers and Maryland Was eyeballs, plAin n simple!!!!. It was strictly for money n was strictly to help the Big Ten network so let’s not be naïve
It had nothing to do with new eyeballs, and it only indirectly involved the BTN.

It was about keeping PSU’s fans in the Big Ten, and Penn State’s desire to have more exposure where they recruit students and players (look at their alumni maps and look at how many recruits they get out of East PA, NJ, and DMV).

The nitwits used the ACC as leverage to pull the Big “Ten” east. And, so long as the ACC would take PS”U,” and so long as the ACC remains attractive to PSU, the B1G will have you bend to their demands to the extent that they want a cut of PSU money.

Given the ACC isn’t going anywhere, PSU will continue to be an ACC target, and the cult will remain huge and cultish, the B1G will take whatever PSU gives them, they’ll smile, and they’ll ask for more.

Last edited:
Yes? One year lease.
With an option to buy?

Seriously though, this is the inevitable future.
As a wise man said; “Once the horse is outta the barn, you can’t put back the hay”...or something like that. :cool:

Last edited:
I don't get why everyone cares so much if ND joins. I personally don't care either way.

It gives the ACC another consistent top ten team that can compete for a final four spot. The ACC has nobody else besides Clemson as of now since FSU and Miami seem to underachieve annually. I personally would love to see a division of SU, ND, Pitt, BC, Miami, Duke, Virginia.

Hopefully we are in the good half. Not sure we will care about Notre Dame's conference affiliation by then :)
I wrote this in a post 4-5 years ago, but ND is not as stuck in the mud as many here believe.
They evolve, perhaps at a slower rate than we (the ACC) would like.
  • Remember, Notre Dame for 40+ years, eschewed all bowl invitations. That changed.
  • Remember, Notre Dame would not allow 5th-year players. That has changed in practice (if not title).
  • Remember, Notre Dame once played on a grass field with Touchdown Jesus in full view. No longer.
  • Remember, Notre Dame once proudly made no academic concessions for football players. Lou Holtz changed that.
  • Remember, Notre Dame once distanced itself from Miami and Michigan. They've played Miami (even before the ACC agreement) and their Michigan series has been sporadically revived.
  • ND basketball was once independent. Not any more.
  • Remember, Notre Dame was once a true independent. Now they already play 5 games against the ACC annually.
Notre Dame is justifiably proud of its traditions, status and standing within the CFB community. They are a power broker. But they are not as insular as many would have you believe. They change. They always have, just at a more deliberate pace. Otherwise, if they don't change, those traditions ... that status ... their standing will erode over time. And they would not like that.

Last edited:
I wrote this in a post 4-5 years ago, but ND is not as stuck in the mud as many here believe.

Remember, Notre Dame for 40+ years, eschewed all bowl invitations. That changed.
Remember, Notre Dame would not allow 5th-year players. That has changed in practice (if not title).
Remember, Notre Dame once played on a grass field with Touchdown Jesus in full view. No longer.
Remember, Notre Dame once proudly made no academic concessions for football players. Lou Holtz changed that.
Remember, Notre Dame once distanced itself from Miami and Michigan. They've played Miami (even before the ACC agreement) and their Michigan series has been sporadically revived.
ND basketball was once independent. Not any more.
Remember, Notre Dame was once a true independent. Now they already play 5 games against the ACC annually.

Notre Dame is justifiably proud of its traditions, status and standing within the CFB community. They are a power broker. But they are not as insular. They change. They always have, just at a more deliberate pace.
Otherwise, if they don't change, those traditions ... that status ... their standing will erode over time.
And they would not like that.
If Clemson and Notre Dame end up in the ACC Championship game and its a good game, it may change a lot of people's minds.

It gives the ACC another consistent top ten team that can compete for a final four spot. The ACC has nobody else besides Clemson as of now since FSU and Miami seem to underachieve annually. I personally would love to see a division of SU, ND, Pitt, BC, Miami, Duke, Virginia.

Texas will join with them. Joining together means LHN and every home game on NBC would remain.

It also makes our conference more difficult for SU.

• Remember, Notre Dame for 40+ years, eschewed all bowl invitations. That changed.
  • Remember, Notre Dame would not allow 5th-year players. That has changed in practice (if not title).
  • Remember, Notre Dame once played on a grass field with Touchdown Jesus in full view. No longer.
  • Remember, Notre Dame once proudly made no academic concessions for football players. Lou Holtz changed that.
  • Remember, Notre Dame once distanced itself from Miami and Michigan. They've played Miami (even before the ACC agreement) and their Michigan series has been sporadically revived.
  • ND basketball was once independent. Not any more.
  • Remember, Notre Dame was once a true independent. Now they already play 5 games against the ACC annually.
Notre Dame is justifiably proud of its traditions, status and standing within the CFB community. They are a power broker. But they are not as insulars many would have you believe. They change. They always have, just at a more deliberate pace. Otherwise, if they don't change, those traditions ... that status ... their standing will erode over time. And they would not like that.

• Remember, Notre Dame epitomizes the institution of hypocrisy. And, nothing is more sacred to them then the sacrament of $$$. That is their holiest of virtues...past, present and future...and for all eternity.

• Remember, Notre Dame epitomizes the institution of hypocrisy. And, nothing is more sacred to them then the sacrament of $$$. That is their holiest of virtues...past, present and future...and for all eternity.
  • Remember - Brian Kelly killed a kid.

Hate to paint myself as some level of an ND apologist, as I am not.
But "ND is about money only" narrative is at best shallow/lazy and at worst, false. It just is.

If ND were only about money, would they not have joined the Big 10 about 25 years ago (mid 90s)? Their contract on NBC costs them millions every year compared to those in conferences, especially the B10. Play that back through time. ND's independence has likely "cost" them hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't have the particulars, but I do know enough to know that you are way, way off base.

Syracuse, like every other ACC member, should hope that ND begins to prioritize money more than they have. If they do, they'll be joining our conference.
So, I hope you're right in time, but to date, ... you're not.

Last edited:
Hate to paint myself as some level of an ND apologist, as I am not.
But "ND is about money only" narrative is at best shallow/lazy and at best, false. It just is.

If ND were only about money, would then not have joined the Big 10 about 25 years ago (mid 90s)? Their contract on NBC costs them millions every year compared to those in conferences, especially the B10. Play that back through time. ND's independence has likely "cost" them hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't have the particulars, but I do know enough to know that you are way, way off base.

Syracuse, like every other ACC member, should hope that ND begins to prioritize money more than they have. If they do, they'll be joining our conference.
So, I hope you're right in time, but to date, ... you're not.
CORRECT!

ND in the Big Ten would guarantee the most money.

But what ND football is realizing now is the power of conference races leading to Conference Championship Games. And that type season best sets up playoff invites and sharpens for post-season.

ND football would benefit from going full member in the ACC; it would be a much needed updating, analogous to when the Irish began playing in bowls.

Unless ND is banking on playoff expansion, if I were them (purely football speaking), I’d join the ACC, full member, asap.

Currently, they get their independence, set their schedule and have the NBC deal, but if it’s about winning National Titles, they are doing themselves a tremendous disservice.

Join the ACC, opposite Clemson, and every year you can lose one game and still make the CFP. Currently, they do not have that luxury.

I’m sure the conference would placate them, and from a marketing standpoint, they’d have Catholics/Convicts every year and an ND/Clemson ACCCG would rival the SECCG.

I’d like to see this be permanent honestly
CB9279C5-BCD7-4D96-98EF-8105013EC0F6.jpeg

Trade Duke for Virgin Tech, and you, sir, have my vote for commissioner.

And good luck getting those New England students to go to school at a glorified DMV with a football stadium attached on a literal farm in Pennsyltucky, "the Alabama of the North." PSU knows their market.
I'm sure that there is some percentage of students in Mass that would be interested in attending a large collegiate sport university.