Will we have a 3rd go to spot up shooter next year or only the 5th year guys? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will we have a 3rd go to spot up shooter next year or only the 5th year guys?

Syracuse has always been a team that recruited to fit the zone rather than trying to find shooters, and it has worked just fine. The only thing I would say that we need pay attention to in the coming years is the different style of play in the ACC compared to the old Big East. Much less physical, many more shooters. I like the idea of testing our strategy against theirs, but if we prove to not be able to stop their shooters, and our offense can't get the job done, then we have to think about giving the other teams a taste of their own medicine and becoming more shooter-oriented. I would not be surprised at all if we see more of this approach if/when Hop takes over.

I agree we recruit to the zone and we've had a lot of success over the last decade, I'm not saying we can't win, since obviously we had. Just pointing out we haven't shot the 3 ball well pretty much at all the last 15 years.

Syracuse has always been a team that recruited to fit the zone rather than trying to find shooters, and it has worked just fine. The only thing I would say that we need pay attention to in the coming years is the different style of play in the ACC compared to the old Big East. Much less physical, many more shooters. I like the idea of testing our strategy against theirs, but if we prove to not be able to stop their shooters, and our offense can't get the job done, then we have to think about giving the other teams a taste of their own medicine and becoming more shooter-oriented. I would not be surprised at all if we see more of this approach if/when Hop takes over.

I agree, plus if they actually clean up the way the game is called this will allow for even more freedom of movement and more scoring. That will make having talented offensive players and shooters to surround them with even more of a premium. Yes defense will be important but you likely will not be able to survive purely on defense and slowing the game down to shorten possessions will become less effective when you are no longer able to impede the ball handler or cutter.

Syracuse has always been a team that recruited to fit the zone rather than trying to find shooters
Wrong. That approach didn't become an obsession until after LeMoyne when Jimmy said "F-it, we're not playing man anymore." Prior to 2009-2010, switching to M2m was plan B and trunk monkey was plan C. How quickly (or conveniently) some memories fade.

Wrong. That approach didn't become an obsession until after LeMoyne when Jimmy said "F-it, we're not playing man anymore." Prior to 2009-2010, switching to M2m was plan B and trunk monkey was plan C. How quickly (or conveniently) some memories fade.

The key word there was "recruited." I understand that we played M2M, but JB always looked for bigger guys who would fit his zone better, especially at the forward and center spots.

I think Gbinije and Cooney will be more off the dribble and motion shooters next year then spot up shooters teams will know they can't be left open.

I think a third guy who can just get to the corner and catch and shoot will help them alot. A role that BJ johnson would have had this year if he returned. He wouldn't have had to do more then that. Losing him was as big as losing mccullough imo.

Not to mention the pressure it will take off kalebs driving game as well. Every mature pg loves the three point threats to kick it out to. Having the right scoring pg in a system like that is deadly.. Kaleb has the blowby speed and cooney and gbinije can shoot it. If Kaleb starts scoring more in the lane this team can be special.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom