Will we see more Taylor up top with Judah? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will we see more Taylor up top with Judah?

Outside of 4 games Girard has been fantastic this year. Tough crowd.

I think Taylor is going to be great, but I don’t think he is ever going to be a plus ball handler at the 2.

Its good to have options again.

I think Taylor is going to be great, but he is never going to be a plus ball handler I don’t think at the 2.

Yeah, not sure what the thought process is with the argument to replace Joe. He’s had a good year and kept us in far more games than he’s “taken us out” of.

Agree with your post

And prior to the last game Joe was averaging 20ppg and shooting over 40% from 3 in the prior 10 as well as leading the ACC in scoring in ACC games. But yea, let’s play a freshman who’s only been ok but getting better because he played well vs ND. I don’t get some people.
Yeah and with shooters in particular, it's hard to know when they might knock down three in a row or whatever. I'm not against Joe being closer to 32 mins vs. 38 mins or maybe playing 40 in a game where he's hot and 28 in a game where he's struggling, but it's not as simple as seeing Joe go 1-for-7 with 3 points in the first half and just crossing him off for the second half.

And prior to the last game Joe was averaging 20ppg and shooting over 40% from 3 in the prior 10 as well as leading the ACC in scoring in ACC games. But yea, let’s play a freshman who’s only been ok but getting better because he played well vs ND. I don’t get some people.
You want to cherry-pick stats you can make anybody look good. We are talking about a career 37% shooter from the field with Girard. 37%! Over 4 years as a starter! He's hardly better this year -- still somehow managing to clock-in under 40%. Those aren't middling numbers, those are bad numbers -- those are bonafide scrub numbers! The guy can't make a lay-up! He's bad!

At times hima should play over edwards, doesn’t mean he has any business starting over /playing more minutes than him outside of extreme circumstances
Who said that?

No one is saying start him and have him play more minutes. But why not give the lineup a shot again for a few min?

When you consider the potential improvement on both sides of the ball. Defensively I think it goes without saying. Offensively we remove the constant barrage of momentum-sucking bad shots that Joe unleashes.

I'm not particularly high on Taylor at this point, I think he will become a valuable player with time. I'm just very low on Joe
I was too but he has played much better. Defensively way better. I also think he is taking less dumb shots. I think Joe is doing great.

Taylor definitely feels like a 3 to me -- both in terms of skillset and physical attributes. Just because a guy primarily shoots jumpers doesn't mean he's a 2 guard. That being said, Taylor miscast as a 2 is probably better for us than playing Joe.
Hes not a 3. Hes a 2 that can play the 3. Hes just like Buddy

I was too but he has played much better. Defensively way better. I also think he is taking less dumb shots. I think Joe is doing great.
Hes doing better

You want to cherry-pick stats you can make anybody look good. We are talking about a career 37% shooter from the field with Girard. 37%! Over 4 years as a starter! He's hardly better this year -- still somehow managing to clock-in under 40%. Those aren't middling numbers, those are bad numbers -- those are bonafide scrub numbers! The guy can't make a lay-up! He's bad!

LOL.

But Torrence is our best three-point shooter! Kid is at .462 for the season! Kidding, of course, but have to give him credit for working on his shot. Looks much better this year. Cool to see kids improve.
He isn't getting enough credit for the ND win. He came in for Judah after JJ had the monster dunk for a big lead and all the momentum. Really settled things down and let Judah reset and refocus or he could have made it about he and JJ, which doesn't always go well for him. Quality sub by JB, quality minutes from Sy, albeit brief.

Who said that?
It’s your statement framed in the context of another player - there are times a player should replace someone else, but it shouldn’t become the norm.

LOL.
Good argument though buddy. Sobering, isn't it, to see those numbers. I don't blame you for having nothing to say, there's really nothing to be said

Good argument though buddy. Sobering, isn't it, to see those numbers. I don't blame you for having nothing to say, there's really nothing to be said

I have you numbers. You said a recent 10 game stretch is cherry picking. That was funny so I LOL. Doesn’t seem many others agree with your genius idea either.

I have you numbers. You said a recent 10 game stretch is cherry picking. That was funny so I LOL. Doesn’t seem many others agree with your genius idea either.
It's hardly radical to think 37% from the field is unacceptable. I wish Joe was good man, I really do

It's hardly radical to think 37% from the field is unacceptable. I wish Joe was good man, I really do
He isn’t shooting 37% this year though and he didn’t last year. This is a weird hill to die on especially since his efg% and Total shot% is nearly identical to the guy that’s in your avatar.

And no I’m not suggesting Joe is as good as Dion.

I think Taylor is going to be great, but I don’t think he is ever going to be a plus ball handler at the 2.

Taylor already is a better ball handler than Buddy was. Not saying either was a ‘plus’ (honestly don’t know what that means), but both are better than what I’ve seen from bell so far.

I’m far from a Girard defender, but more than 60% of his career shots are from 3.

His career he’s averaging 1.03 points per shot removing fts. That’s greater than 50% adjusted for a player who takes no 3s.

It’s not outside an acceptable pps. Not great in this era, but acceptable.

He isn’t shooting 37% this year though and he didn’t last year. This is a weird hill to die on especially since his efg% and Total shot% is nearly identical to the guy that’s in your avatar.

And no I’m not suggesting Joe is as good as Dion.
He shoots enough volume of 3s and at middling enough percentage that advanced statistics don't abhor him. And you're right that FG% is hardly the entire story of a player. It's simply one of the most obvious metrics. However 37% for a 4 year career is bad enough that you would be hard-pressed to find a situation where that player ever even sees the floor.

What does Joe do for us? He is not playmaker. He can't reliably get good shots for himself or others. He's an abominable defender. His rep is as a scorer -- that would be his one saving grace. But the statistics confirm he is not even good at that. My contention is that for all his deficiencies, Girard would have to be MUCH more efficient scorer to garner playing time.

He shoots enough volume of 3s and at middling enough percentage that advanced statistics don't abhor him. And you're right that FG% is hardly the entire story of a player. It's simply one of the most obvious metrics. However 37% for a 4 year career is bad enough that you would be hard-pressed to find a situation where that player ever even sees the floor.

What does Joe do for us? He is not playmaker. He can't reliably get good shots for himself or others. He's an abominable defender. His rep is as a scorer -- that would be his one saving grace. But the statistics confirm he is not even good at that. My contention is that for all his deficiencies, Girard would have to be MUCH more efficient scorer to garner playing time.
He gets you enough easy baskets, to take pressure off the rest of the offense. And those easy baskets generally count for 3 points.

As I said, I’m not an apologist and think if he’s not a threat from 3 he probably needs to have his minutes limited.

Without him on the floor Judah gets smothered and Bell gets fewer open looks.

I should save this post and just replace the names every year.

He gets you enough easy baskets, to take pressure off the rest of the offense. And those easy baskets generally count for 3 points.

As I said, I’m not an apologist and think if he’s not a threat from 3 he probably needs to have his minutes limited.

I should save this post and just replace the names every year.
Are those 3s that do go in (this year at a very respectable 38%), worth all the horrific shots, the death of momentum, the missed layups, the dreadful defense? That's the question, and I personally think it's a resounding 'No'

up front, I'm NOT suggesting Taylor should start...

That said, limited sample set against ND, Judah got Brown, Bell, and Taylor got open looks. I think it's an assumption that it can't work.

I do agree that Joe gets/takes shots when no one else will and makes a decent enough % of them that he absolutely should get the majority of the mins.

But when its not working?

Are those 3s that do go in (this year at a very respectable 38%), worth all the horrific shots, the death of momentum, the missed layups, the dreadful defense? That's the question, and I personally think it's a resounding 'No'
He makes a decent amt that help mo too. Have to be fair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom