Will we see more Taylor up top with Judah? | Syracusefan.com

Will we see more Taylor up top with Judah?

Cuse_NYC

Starter
I feel like we will. JB even went as far to say JT is a 2 and that it is his natural position. If JB was so against it, he would have said shut down the question in the presser. JT is obviously a longer and better defender than JG3. And sure seems to be shooting it as well.

I feel like we will. JB even went as far to say JT is a 2 and that it is his natural position. If JB was so against it, he would have said shut down the question in the presser. JT is obviously a longer and better defender than JG3. And sure seems to be shooting it as well.
Really depends on if Joe is playing well or not...and if Jim is willing to sit him

I hope so. What I like about Taylor so far, is that he seems to able to make contested shots. That really bodes well for him being a go to guy at some point.

Last edited:
Really depends on if Joe is playing well or not...and if Jim is willing to sit him
i hope it depends on matchup, too...teams like houston and uva that can lock up a smaller not so qucik guard like joe are just a bad matchup for him...

Taylor definitely feels like a 3 to me -- both in terms of skillset and physical attributes. Just because a guy primarily shoots jumpers doesn't mean he's a 2 guard. That being said, Taylor miscast as a 2 is probably better for us than playing Joe.

Hopefully we will see tons of it in future years. This year I'm not so sure.

When it happened against Notre Dame they were playing zone and Girard was hurt. Probably not going to see that scenario again, and not sure Justin is better than our other guard options yet against man to man.

I wouldn't mind seeing Girard and Tylor up top against teams who want to zone us and try to keep Juda out of the lane.

If teams are going to pressure us Torrence and Mintz has worked for stretches in the past and I think will continue to work.

Miami is another team like Notre Dame that will switch from zone to man to press so maybe we see both combinations as early as tonight?

Taylor definitely feels like a 3 to me -- both in terms of skillset and physical attributes. Just because a guy primarily shoots jumpers doesn't mean he's a 2 guard. That being said, Taylor miscast as a 2 is probably better for us than playing Joe.

So you think Taylor should play over Joe?

Until now, they have played Bell and then Taylor at the 3 to get them both PT and experience as neither was doing significantly better than the other where as if Taylor came in for Joe it would have been a larger negative. Now Bell appears to have gotten comfortable and is shooting at the level the coaches hoped he would so they probably want him in the game more. Taylor has also improved to the point where he can come in the position he will be playing in the future, 2 guard, for Joe and not be much or any drop off. Possibly Benny could play some 3 if Taylor gets minutes at the 2.

So you think Taylor should play over Joe?
When you consider the potential improvement on both sides of the ball. Defensively I think it goes without saying. Offensively we remove the constant barrage of momentum-sucking bad shots that Joe unleashes.

I'm not particularly high on Taylor at this point, I think he will become a valuable player with time. I'm just very low on Joe

Torrence and Mintz together is a killer for us. Neither can shoot from outside. Any coach seeing this should pack the lane. Not only does that stop our guards from driving but clogs it up for Edwards as well.

J
Hopefully we will see tons of it in future years. This year I'm not so sure.

When it happened against Notre Dame they were playing zone and Girard was hurt. Probably not going to see that scenario again, and not sure Justin is better than our other guard options yet against man to man.

I wouldn't mind seeing Girard and Tylor up top against teams who want to zone us and try to keep Juda out of the lane.

If teams are going to pressure us Torrence and Mintz has worked for stretches in the past and I think will continue to work.

Miami is another team like Notre Dame that will switch from zone to man to press so maybe we see both combinations as early as tonight?
Good post. Taylor and JG3 could be frightening on offense. May just pass it back and forth to each other until a shot clock violation

When you consider the potential improvement on both sides of the ball. Defensively I think it goes without saying. Offensively we remove the constant barrage of momentum-sucking bad shots that Joe unleashes.

I'm not particularly high on Taylor at this point, I think he will become a valuable player with time. I'm just very low on Joe
Taylor has been awesome, man.

It’s an added wrinkle that we should use more often. What killed us last year was the lack of options. It’s nice to be able to throw multiple lineups out there. We can even try a joe and Taylor backcourt as a spark if Judah needs a rest. What’s been evident with this team is there’s no one size fits all solution and game to game it’s a different combination.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying about Taylor miscast as a 2 being better than Joe? Girard has limitations and those limitations certainly hurt us at times defensively and they rear their head at times offensively when he's having a tough night.

Having said that, including his subpar night vs. ND over the weekend, Girard is averaging 18.7 on 43/40/86 shooting to go along with 3.4 assists since the last time we saw ND on 12/3. I mean, I like Taylor at the 2. Moves his feet well, can shoot a little bit, has more offense in his game than he's shown thus far, etc. It's an interesting look. I'm not opposed to Joe getting some time on the bench at least in certain matchups.

But unequivocally saying Taylor will be better for us than playing Joe seems so strange to me. Playing more minutes means -- for most players -- you're faults are exposed and/or accentuated. Joe has really had a solid senior year for the most part and is absolutely more of a positive than a negative for this team. That isn't overwhelming praise but I don't think anyone -- JB or whomever -- would supplant Joe with Taylor at this point in time.

Hope to see Taylor continue to play well and force his way onto the floor, however. That's a good thing and I do agree that it could be something we see more of. I'd just assume it's more likely at the 3 where Bell has had some moments but we clearly have significant question marks.

Torrence and Mintz together is a killer for us. Neither can shoot from outside. Any coach seeing this should pack the lane. Not only does that stop our guards from driving but clogs it up for Edwards as well.
But Torrence is our best three-point shooter! Kid is at .462 for the season! Kidding, of course, but have to give him credit for working on his shot. Looks much better this year. Cool to see kids improve.

At times, he should.
if Joe can get his shot and isnt under padlock...then he should be out there...

and Taylor is a good option for that very situation...at his height no one is really putting him on clamps defensively...he can shoot over any guard

a linup of mintz-taylor-benny-maliq-jesse has NBA size...and I wish we could see it from time to time...i think size wise it would create some definite mismatches

At times, he should.
At times hima should play over edwards, doesn’t mean he has any business starting over /playing more minutes than him outside of extreme circumstances

Last edited:
I'm not sure I get what you're saying about Taylor miscast as a 2 being better than Joe? Girard has limitations and those limitations certainly hurt us at times defensively and they rear their head at times offensively when he's having a tough night.

Having said that, including his subpar night vs. ND over the weekend, Girard is averaging 18.7 on 43/40/86 shooting to go along with 3.4 assists since the last time we saw ND on 12/3. I mean, I like Taylor at the 2. Moves his feet well, can shoot a little bit, has more offense in his game than he's shown thus far, etc. It's an interesting look. I'm not opposed to Joe getting some time on the bench at least in certain matchups.

But unequivocally saying Taylor will be better for us than playing Joe seems so strange to me. Playing more minutes means -- for most players -- you're faults are exposed and/or accentuated. Joe has really had a solid senior year for the most part and is absolutely more of a positive than a negative for this team. That isn't overwhelming praise but I don't think anyone -- JB or whomever -- would supplant Joe with Taylor at this point in time.

Hope to see Taylor continue to play well and force his way onto the floor, however. That's a good thing and I do agree that it could be something we see more of. I'd just assume it's more likely at the 3 where Bell has had some moments but we clearly have significant question marks.

And prior to the last game Joe was averaging 20ppg and shooting over 40% from 3 in the prior 10 as well as leading the ACC in scoring in ACC games. But yea, let’s play a freshman who’s only been ok but getting better because he played well vs ND. I don’t get some people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom