Winter athletes will be granted an extra year of eligibility | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Winter athletes will be granted an extra year of eligibility

Last season’s seniors deserved this. Not this seasons players for getting less than a full season.
I don't understand your logic. You think the seniors from last season, who had the opportunity to play a full regular season under normal conditions (travel, crowds, etc) where they even got part way into the post season, deserve another full season of eligibility. But no winter sports athletes deserve to get another year of eligibility for a season where they are going to attempt to play in a full pandemic?

We already have had some games cancelled this season. The length of the regular season has already downsized.

It appears that at best we are going to see many (most?) games played in MET settings, in front of few or no fans, with home games routinely played at places other than home arenas, where the probability of multiple games being cancelled is extremely high. I expect to see games played on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, then nothing until the following weekend. Greatly reduced opportunities to prepare for opponent before games (which might help Syracuse).

It will be a minor miracle to get enough of a season in to make an NCAA tournament worthwhile and if there is an NCAA tournament, we know it is going to be a much different tournament than we have ever seen before. Probably a lot more like the TBT tournament. Kids are going to be locked in their hotel rooms and probably will play games in empty conference rooms.

Playing in that kind of a bastardized mess of a season is not worthy of another season of eligibility? The basketball players (and all winter sports athletes) are going to make more sacrifices than the football players...but the football players get an extra year and you don't want the winter sports athletes to have the same rights?

I don't understand your logic. You think the seniors from last season, who had the opportunity to play a full regular season under normal conditions (travel, crowds, etc) where they even got part way into the post season, deserve another full season of eligibility. But no winter sports athletes deserve to get another year of eligibility for a season where they are going to attempt to play in a full pandemic?

We already have had some games cancelled this season. The length of the regular season has already downsized.

It appears that at best we are going to see many (most?) games played in MET settings, in front of few or no fans, with home games routinely played at places other than home arenas, where the probability of multiple games being cancelled is extremely high. I expect to see games played on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, then nothing until the following weekend. Greatly reduced opportunities to prepare for opponent before games (which might help Syracuse).

It will be a minor miracle to get enough of a season in to make an NCAA tournament worthwhile and if there is an NCAA tournament, we know it is going to be a much different tournament than we have ever seen before. Probably a lot more like the TBT tournament. Kids are going to be locked in their hotel rooms and probably will play games in empty conference rooms.

Playing in that kind of a bastardized mess of a season is not worthy of another season of eligibility? The basketball players (and all winter sports athletes) are going to make more sacrifices than the football players...but the football players get an extra year and you don't want the winter sports athletes to have the same rights?
Last year’s seniors didn’t get a Postseason.
The postseason is what matters the most for a great majority of these Athletes.

They don’t deserve an extra year this year if they play the tournament and the regular season instead of being 31 games is 25 games.

6 less regular season games affects the schools revenues it’s not a detriment to the players. They are getting a season. They are just losing some games.

It’s stupid to give these athletes an extra year if they get a postseason tournament and last year’s seniors didn’t get one.

It’s pretty plain and simple. Colgate-Syracuse not playing shouldn’t mean these players get an extra year.
Less nonconference games aren’t why kids deserve an extra year.

Last edited:
Last year’s seniors didn’t get a Postseason.
The postseason is what matters the most fof a great majority of these
Athletes.

They don’t deserve an extra year this year if they play the tournament and the regular season instead of being 31 games is 25 games.

6 less regular season games affects the schools revenues it’s not a detriment to the players. They are getting a season. They are just losing some games.

It’s stupid to give these athletes an extra year if they get a postseason tournament and last year’s seniors didn’t get one.

It’s pretty plain and simple. I don’t care Colgate-Syracuse not playing means these players get an extra year.
Less nonconference games aren’t why kids deserve an extra year.
It’s pretty plain and simple.

To you, because it's your opinion.

We are in uncharted waters here. Trying to draw a distinction between playing an abbreviated regular season with an abrupt ending before the postseason and playing a Hunter S. Thompson-esque season where many teams won't even play a full season is like trying to thread a camel through the eye of a needle. It doesn't make sense to even try.

You've given SA's the option of opting out of this season while maintaining eligibility. What happens if a second wave occurs and hoops et al. are canceled? Do we not extend the same "benefits" to the Winter and/or Spring sports? These kids, through no fault of their own, are taking a chance with their futures to play a season that may or may not get finished.

Your uncompromising position (that you have posted here and elsewhere) is, well, puzzling.

We are in uncharted waters here. Trying to draw a distinction between playing an abbreviated regular season with an abrupt ending before the postseason and playing a Hunter S. Thompson-esque season where many teams won't even play a full season is like trying to thread a camel through the eye of a needle. It doesn't make sense to even try.

You've given SA's the option of opting out of this season while maintaining eligibility. What happens if a second wave occurs and hoops et al. are canceled? Do we not extend the same "benefits" to the Winter and/or Spring sports? These kids, through no fault of their own, are taking a chance with their futures to play a season that may or may not get finished.

Your uncompromising position (that you have posted here and elsewhere) is, well, puzzling.

I pretty much agree with this. Heck we get so worked up about players leaving after 1 or 2 years, if someone decides they want to stay an extra year under these circumstances, fine by me. I'd be interested how many would really use the opportunity or be ready to move on with life anyway.

Okay.

I think this entire issue is pretty subjective. I don’t claim my opinion is any better.

Sorry but giving these players this season an extra year because they are losing nonconference games isn’t enough imo. Last year’s seniors lost their postseason.

The regular season for college hoops has become water downed already.
If SU was playing a challenging nonconference schedule it would suck but losing tomato can games don’t effect fans or players that much.
It affects the bottom line of athletic departments.

If they want to cancel the season or opt out give them another season. Sure.
Just giving them an extra season because it’s not a full season screws last year’s players.

as noted by others, I tend to doubt many hoops players will take the extra year - will be interesting to see, though

Two key points -

1. Precedence has been established with fall sports and nothing has changed since then.

2. Without a waiver, SAs need to decide between playing with a risk that the plug can be pulled at any time and no guarantee they will recoup that year of elgibility or opting out and saving that year. Remeber in basketball, there isn;t even something like the 4 game redshirt rule. BEST case if they decide to play is as Tomcat stated fan-less antiseptic environments. The extra year removes the need to make that decision.

Finally, I don't know that to "the great majority" of winter athletes that the post season is the thing that matters. Most basketball players don't play in the NCAA Tournament and 75% of those that do get one or two games. Fact is that many D-1 Men's basketball players had completed their season when the plug was pulled last year and many more had hopes for one or two more games.

Fall sports got an extra year because a lot of fall sports season were postponed or pushed to the spring.
If winter sports get postponed or moved to the spring give them an extra year.

If people don’t think the postseason is the most important part of playing then just cancel the season and give all the athletes an extra year.
No need to risk any athlete getting sick in a pandemic.
Postseason isn’t the most important thing so the season can be postponed.

Fall sports got an extra year because a lot of fall sports season were postponed or pushed to the spring.
If winter sports get postponed or moved to the spring give them an extra year.

If people don’t think the postseason is the most important part of playing then just cancel the season and give all the athletes an extra year.
No need to risk any athlete getting sick in a pandemic.
Postseason isn’t the most important thing so the season can be postponed.

This is the hill you're going to die on, huh?

This is the hill you're going to die on, huh?
Having an opinion isn't a hill to die on. If people disagree with what I say I don't get offended if they disagree with the opinion. Now if people disagree because they want to disagree with the person I find that annoying.

My opinion is no more right than yours or anyone's in this thread. I get that.

I don't believe winter sports collegiate athletes should get an extra year. You do or you can I don't know. It doesn't mean I am right or the other side is right. That is the point of debate. The position you are trying to take with this statement is one that science could prove who is right and wrong. Opinions aren't scientific so I think their is no hill to die on since nobody's opinion is right or wrong.
It's subjective.

Give them the year, and temporarily take away scholarship limits.

I get your side of it and don’t necessarily disagree.

But it’s far from a normal season and certainly not what these kids signed up when they decided to play college hoops. Giving them an extra year in exchange for making hundreds of millions in a pandemic is the least the ncaa could do.

I won’t be upset either way but I think there’s an argument for giving kids who want to play an extra year the opportunity to

Kind of sucks for all of the High School seniors who were hoping to have the opportunity to get the scholarships of all those kids exhausting their eligibility this year.

Covid sucks but life goes on...at least for those of us that weren't unlucky enough to catch it.

Lynn Anderson once said....there's got to be a little rain some time.

Kind of sucks for all of the High School seniors who were hoping to have the opportunity to get the scholarships of all those kids exhausting their eligibility this year.

Covid sucks but life goes on...at least for those of us that weren't unlucky enough to catch it.

Lynn Anderson once said...there's got to be a little rain sometime.
The best answer is to increase the scholarship limit for a couple years but it’s the NCAA we’re talking about soooooo

The best answer is to increase the scholarship limit for a couple years but it’s the NCAA we’re talking about soooooo

Can you imagine what Boeheim could do with a 15 or 16 man roster!! It would be extraordinary.

I feel for the '21 and '22 HS recruits. They've already lost typical AAU seasons along with live periods with coaches, etc. This further muddies the water in terms of them being able to make a clear college commitment decision with current players gaining a year of eligibility. Even of they expand scholarship limits for a year it further complicates making their decision especially at a school such as SU where 7-8 players get the majority of the minutes.. or maybe it doesn't and SU is no longer an option for said recruit in '21/22.

I feel for the '21 and '22 HS recruits. They've already lost typical AAU seasons along with live periods with coaches, etc. This further muddies the water in terms of them being able to make a clear college commitment decision with current players gaining a year of eligibility. Even of they expand scholarship limits for a year it further complicates making their decision especially at a school such as SU where 7-8 players get the majority of the minutes.. or maybe it doesn't and SU is no longer an option for said recruit in '21/22.
In normal times, recruits often waited to see who had decided to go pro to make their college choices. Now, many will wait for decisions on using the extra year also.

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom