Winter/Spring Weight Room Progress | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Winter/Spring Weight Room Progress

Some Chandler Jones Love on that, on IG. Nice.

Screenshot_20200731-132528_Instagram.jpg

Random comment but Idk if the gym they work out in is that fancy. I mean seen it a bit in the Instagram vids and just looks like a regular planet fitness...

Mikel Jones now listed at 230-Believe he was previously listed at 211. At 230, might be tough for the other LB's to keep up with the Joneses.

Last edited:
Mikel Jones now listed at 230. At 230, might be tough for the other LB's to keep up with the Joneses.
Really like to hear that. He needed some size to go with that nose for the ball. Some people were down on him but I think if they play he will have a great year. The kinda player that can lead a defense.

Really like to hear that. He needed some size to go with that nose for the ball. Some people were down on him but I think if they play he will have a great year. The kinda player that can lead a defense.
I don't recall anyone being down on him. They just expressed the same thing you said in your second sentence, and wondered if he would fit into the new defense without adding some size.

Looks like he made some progress with his upper body but those legs are going to need more attention.
Receivers actually use their upper body strength more to gain separation.

This (sadly) remains a very big IF.

He passed the eye test 2 years ago at the CWB, standing next to "the Human Personal Foul" Ravian Pierce.
Similar build, just a little lighter all around.
He looked fast standing still.

REALLY hope we can finally see him in action.
Take it easy on The Rav Dog.

Take it easy on The Rav Dog.
Maybe the Rav Dog should've taken it easy on the officials' flag throwing arms. I think they had to ice after our games. ;)

I don't recall anyone being down on him. They just expressed the same thing you said in your second sentence, and wondered if he would fit into the new defense without adding some size.
I recall a few comments about his height and weight being an issue and that his tackling was inconsistent. Nothing he can do about height. We discussed the weight. In regards to nose for the ball and tackling I think he did well. People want (I get it) lbs who are 6'3 to 6'4 and weigh 235 to 250. Jones is not that but if he can be 230 at 6'0 and be a tackling machine I will take that all day. I also think he is leader material.

I recall a few comments about his height and weight being an issue and that his tackling was inconsistent. Nothing he can do about height. We discussed the weight. In regards to nose for the ball and tackling I think he did well. People want (I get it) lbs who are 6'3 to 6'4 and weigh 235 to 250. Jones is not that but if he can be 230 at 6'0 and be a tackling machine I will take that all day. I also think he is leader material.

We've had a number of "shorter" LB's who have been VERY successful in college, and beyond.
Cam Lynch & Zaire Franklin immediately come to mind. :cool:
I agree, I see Jones fitting into this mold also - and clearly, the coaches do too, given how much he played last year as a true Frosh.

We've had a number of "shorter" LB's who have been VERY successful in college, and beyond.
Cam Lynch & Zaire Franklin immediately come to mind. :cool:
I agree, I see Jones fitting into this mold also - and clearly, the coaches do too, given how much he played last year as a true Frosh.
And there have been plenty that have had long NFL careers at that height. Height is the last thing I consider in LBers and RBs. Maybe that's why I'm on this board and not recieving a paycheck from an NFL team.

Plus he was a true freshman. He is suppose to make mistakes. Despite his height he is one of our toughest and instinctual defensive players on the team. I expect him to get better with the added weight and strength.