Wisconsin fires Paul Chryst / hires Luke Fickell | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wisconsin fires Paul Chryst / hires Luke Fickell

I don't know...

Can't speak for the big UW donors, but I know a lot of UW alums including an immediate family member. They don't have the same mentality as OSU, UM, or many SEC fans do regarding their stature in the universe. Rabid yes, totally delusional, not normally.

Chryst is a Madison native and a UW alumnus. Something seems really off here. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more to the story than we know.

Agree very much overall with your point, but as to Alvarez record, he took over a program in much worse shape.
Have to agree with Packer on this. Not a good look for College Athletics firing coaches in season. This isn't the pro teams, most of the players come to play for the coach. I know you should committ to the school, but it isn't the school that recruits you.

Have to agree with Packer on this. Not a good look for College Athletics firing coaches in season. This isn't the pro teams, most of the players come to play for the coach. I know you should committ to the school, but it isn't the school that recruits you.

Eh one could argue it gives the players more notice. Not sure this is really much of a point. Whether it is a smart practice is another issue entirely. I think programs fire coaches too often, in particular, coaches with track records of success.

Yea, this move is all about Leonhard. Nothing to do with Chryst really. This is why the admin had no problem making the move.
Absolutely.

Wisconsin is an excellent job though especially with the Big Ten being elevated to #2 with their TV deals. Easy half of the conference close to a major metro recent success not too insane a fanbase like Nebraska.

They could have gotten anyone they wanted in a national search this winter.

I’d give Jeremy’s left nut for that kind of record.

If realignment dropped us into that half of the Big Ten somehow I think we would like our record.

Playing the Maryland/Rutty schedule of course not.

The B1G payday is causing much of this. Wouldn't be surprised to see them snag Lance L from Kansas - and jump Nebraska in line to do it.

There are clearly a few dozen P5 programs who have decided that the old standards -- winning 9+ games, going to major bowls -- do not apply anymore. It's Playoff or you're out. And they all have so much funny money that there aren't any financial implications. $16 million buyout? Whatevs.

What happens if Nebraska offers Leonhard that job?

They have someone on staff they think is an upgrade so the hire isn't expensive.

Up 28-0 on NW under Leonhard.

Looks like a very smart move by the AD to get him into the HC role and not let other programs (Nebraska) offer him first.

Interesting move

Reading Wisconsin fans thoughts on Reddit, seems a lot of them like Chryst but got frustrated with the offense and the lack of Big Ten title game appearances, despite being the preseason favorite to win the West division for a few years. Factor in the huge revenue stream coming from the upcoming TV deal, and it makes a little more sense for why they made the move.

Still definitely some risk involved in this change, as Nebraska fans can tell you about to.

Up 28-0 on NW under Leonhard.

Looks like a very smart move by the AD to get him into the HC role and not let other programs (Nebraska) offer him first.
Their remaining schedule including today easily could have seen Chryst run the table and/or win the West. The powers that be obviously didn’t want to risk that happening. We’ll see whether things work out any better for Wisconsin than for Nebraska. Recent history is suggesting that the elevation of these genius DCs to HC isn’t working out well.