Wisconsin Game Thread... | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Wisconsin Game Thread...

It was funny. I think Pasch was trying to get Fraschilla to talk about this in a subtle manner. He asked FF if JB had taken anything away from coaching at the Olympics and being around different offense. FF (paraphrasing) was like um, not really and talked about all that freedom on offense and such.

Unless you have lottery picks you can't keep playing ISO ball. Not going to work against good teams. Two games in a row now we BARELY have any open shots. These aren't UNLV early 90s Amoeba defenses. At some point the staff has to start scheming better offense. We are a joke on offense.

Crazy talk gets thrown around after a disappointing loss, but the best way to describe that offensive effort is pathetic.

Only the most delusional apologist from the offense thread could have watched that game and not thought there's something very wrong with Boeheim's approach. It's never looked worse. His team just got dismantled by a bunch of kids he never would have recruited. Their team was running simple offensive sets with precision. His team, as is too often the case, couldn't imitate that.

This is getting a little concerning. Boeheim's brought the program to a high level, but his inflexibility is running their prospects into the ground. I fear this gets worse before it gets better,

My thoughts exactly, Paul. Kudos to yudos.

I agree with a lot of that, with respect to Wisconsin. They have experience. But hey also don't have a lot of highly-recruited players. Mostly 2- and 3-star kids. What would he score have been if that were reversed? JB with 2 and 3s, and W with our level of recruiting?

And then, there's the interesting matter of how each of us assess our Final Four appearance—especially last year's. Yes, it's The Objective. Some of us seem to use that to represent how good we actually were. Others see it as having been a 'found gem.' A beautiful treat. Or, like 'dressing up a white t-shirt with a gold rope chain.' We were average in conference. We didn't win a single ACC tourney game. We barely made it into the NCAAs. We didn't beat anyone particularly impressive until Virginia, and that only happened because one kid did something entirely unpredictable and bizarre... sooooo, one game. Wish I knew how to predict which way a person would think of something like that...

Who WERE we? A 'final four quality team,' or a team that 'made it to the Final Four?' Some will see no difference. Some will not care if there's a difference.

I am personally still feeling good about the long term prospects of this team. But it's a tough pill to swallow to see them phone a game like this in after getting waxed by SC.
I don't think anyone phoned anything in.

Crazy talk gets thrown around after a disappointing loss, but the best way to describe that offensive effort is pathetic.

Only the most delusional apologist from the offense thread could have watched that game and not thought there's something very wrong with Boeheim's approach. It's never looked worse. His team just got dismantled by a bunch of kids he never would have recruited. Their team was running simple offensive sets with precision. His team, as is too often the case, couldn't imitate that.

This is getting a little concerning. Boeheim's brought the program to a high level, but his inflexibility is running their prospects into the ground. I fear this gets worse before it gets better,

Seriously. If not for White's stationary 3s (from really deep) and some FTs this would've been a complete debacle. Last year was generally futile and brutal offense. Same with Ennis once that 25-0 hoax disappeared. Rak did all he could to bail out the poor offense the next year. We catch a gift from god and make the Tourney last year. The keystone cops press miraculously causes UVA and Gonzaga meltdowns. The kids earned it but just to say we made the F4 and not acknowledging that there were major offensive woes would be a fallacy.

The announcers kept praising Coleman tonight for some reason. Sure he scored 12 points, but how many points did he give up on the defensive end by not being in the right position in the zone? Not to mention he rarely jumps for rebounds. If we are going to have a center not knowing where he needs to be in the zone, I'd rather it be Chukwu who will at least jump for some rebounds. Wisconsin out rebounded us 40-25 and they had 14 offensive rebounds. Can't win many games with those margins.

Roberson is another key player we need to getting the team on track again. 1 point and 6 boards against South Carolina and 0 points and 2 boards tonight. The only reason to play him right now is that he knows how to play defense on the wing. Other than that, he brings nothing to our offense and he isn't crashing the boards like he used to.

Look at it this way -- Battle, White, Gillon, Thompson, and to some extent Chukwu are all new to our zone this year. Howard, Lydon, Roberson, and Coleman have at least some experience with it in games coming into this season. When Roberson and Coleman aren't doing much on defense, we are really only playing two experienced Syracuse zone players (Lydon and Howard). Considering Howard is only playing half the games and seemed to be in the dog house in the second half tonight, we really had just Lydon who knew what the heck he was doing out there tonight on defense.

If we want to be a tourney team and make a deep run again, we need to have a lineup of Howard, Battle, White, Roberson, and Lydon lead us there. Gillon can be a serviceable 6th man off the bench and could be key late in close games, but I don't think he should be playing more minutes than Howard or Battle.

Really? After SC State I could have sworn Frank Howard, Battle, and TT were sure fire lottery picks?

Not to mention how we were unequivocally a TOP 5 team, not getting the respect we deserve and how we would blow Kentucky out of the water if we played them this year. :bat::rolling:

It's the simple recipe that every opposing coach should recognize. Put a decent passer with a decent 11-foot jumper at the FT line. Period. The. He just finds open shooters or punishes us himself. We'll have forwards flying out of bounds and away from rebounds on every shot.

They were jumping at the shooter and not closing out. Very amateur D.

So you saw max effort and intent after the first 3 minutes of the second half? I surely didn't.
I saw guys who probably believed that whatever they were going to do, the other side had a better answer. So, no, scrambling around with as if their hair was on fire, no... Trying to think through it? Maybe? But, as we saw in the last game, going 110mph without a plan was just a new way to fail. I don't blame their effort. They were just overmatched and not ready for what Wisconsin was able to throw at them.

I saw guys who probably believed that whatever they were going to do, the other side had a better answer. So, no, scrambling around with as if their hair was on fire, no... Trying to think through it? Maybe? But, as we saw in the last game, going 110mph without a plan was just a new way to fail. I don't blame their effort. They were just overmatched and not ready for what Wisconsin was able to throw at them.

Ok, that's fair. I don't blame effort for this loss so much as, as you said, the idea that the game was lost about 8 mins in and you could read it all over them. Speaks to your first part of the post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom