Wisconsin Nigel Hates suing NCAA for player pay | Syracusefan.com

Wisconsin Nigel Hates suing NCAA for player pay

GooseMutt

All Conference
Thoughts? Education not enough? Opportunity not enough? Don't agree with Nigel.

They are certainly making enough money off of them to pay them.

They should pay them something, would tighten rules violations I believe and I think they deserve some of the money these universities make off of them.

I've always thought they should adopt something similar to, but scaled down from, graduate teaching and research assistant positions, many of which also receive non-need-based financial aid. Throwing cash at problems has never hurt, right?

They should be treated as employees and paid accordingly, with the acknowledgement that scholarships are part of their compensation but not nearly enough to be considered sufficient compensation. The NCAA coined the term 'student-athlete' to directly counter the argument that players who are earning hundreds of millions of dollars for the NCAA and its members are in fact employees. It was a bogus title back then and it's bogus now. The idea of 'amateurism' needs to die a quick death.

Indentured servitude is generally considered a bad thing. So why is it okay for college athletes to be indentured servants?

I've always thought they should adopt something similar to, but scaled down from, graduate teaching and research assistant positions, many of which also receive non-need-based financial aid. Throwing cash at problems has never hurt, right?

But then the NCAA would only make 3.9 bazillion dollars instead of 4 bazillion dollars and they'd be very sad.

Ah yes, one of the education and opportunity guys. Players are often pigeonholed into majors to remain eligible and receive an education that that doesn't benefit them after college. At Syracuse, this is the Child and Family Studies major or CRS. That opportunity can be taken away from them at any time. They can be dismissed for trivial reasons or when a new coach comes in and doesn't see the player as a fit for his team.

I support paying the players a healthy stipend and/or allowing them to profit as OttoinGrotto mentioned. But I don't support this guy's lawsuit. He knew what the deal was when he signed up.

The time demands of playing a revenue sport are pretty much a major in and of itself. So I don't really buy the "free education" argument.

Their education is paid back via TV contracts, ticket and merchandising. The scholarship has been recouped before they step foot on the court/field to play.

Don't pay them. Just remove the barriers to players generating their own income from their name and likeness.
Lonzo Ball will be the test case.

His dad's Big Baller Brand is selling $60 t-shirts in UCLA blue and gold. They don't say UCLA, they don't feature Lonzo's (or his brothers') likenesses. It is an attempt to skirt NCAA regulations. The NCAA will have to come down with a ruling on this; either they will declare Lonzo ineligible (and vacate this season) or the door will be open for all student-athletes to launch their own brands.

If the latter, then there will be a race between fans of different schools - which Nation will best support their players by buying lots of merchandise? You want a top recruit like Cameron Reddish (just for hypothetical example)? Be prepared to buy some CR Brand shirts and hats for your whole family

Lonzo Ball will be the test case.

His dad's Big Baller Brand is selling $60 t-shirts in UCLA blue and gold. They don't say UCLA, they don't feature Lonzo's (or his brothers') likenesses. It is an attempt to skirt NCAA regulations. The NCAA will have to come down with a ruling on this; either they will declare Lonzo ineligible (and vacate this season) or the door will be open for all student-athletes to launch their own brands.

If the latter, then there will be a race between fans of different schools - which Nation will best support their players by buying lots of merchandise? You want a top recruit like Cameron Reddish (just for hypothetical example)? Be prepared to buy some CR Brand shirts and hats for your whole family
Sounds awesome to me.

The time demands of playing a revenue sport are pretty much a major in and of itself. So I don't really buy the "free education" argument.

How many times do you hear guys talking about away games as "business trips?"

Nigel Hayes rules. Of course it's not enough. The players are university employees and should be treated as such.

At the very least allow them to profit outside of the university's revenue stream. Let them still play college basketball even after they're drafted similar to hockey and baseball.

Let's end the charade.

Most of the schools don't really educate their kids, so that a fallacy.

Pay the kids, and they can pay for school.