With all the offensive and ST problems, this game is 100% on the coaches | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

With all the offensive and ST problems, this game is 100% on the coaches

Good find. Then at worst the call should have been a 5 yard penalty and still 4th down.

Exactly. Totally different situation. Huge call that most likely effected the outcome of the game. But it is what it is.

Who are these "people"? I know it is a small sample but I didn't hear a single person in my section yelling to go after the punter. All I heard were people saying how great the D had just done and we were in position to get great field position. Bad ref call? Sure (although I don't know yet if college has running into the kicker like the Pro's do). But this is one of the examples I made last night about the team (the D stuffing them) putting themselves in a position to have success and then the coaches putting them in a position to fail. No guarantee that we'd get points out of it, but what were the chances we would block a punt? I'd say the chances for roughing were greater than the chances for a block. We were up 10 not down 10. You take more risk when you are behind. Of all the decisions, this is the one that even Marrone mentioned that maybe he'd like to have back.

Even if we did get a block there it more than likely goes out of bounds for a safety.

Even if we did get a block there it more than likely goes out of bounds for a safety.

But we also get the ball back on a free kick. Unless I am missing your point.

who is making those complaints? you're making stuff up

I believe this is the 2nd time you've claimed I'm making stuff up (I think), so as I responded before maybe you didn't read all of the posts after the game and weren't in the chatroom. I'm not sure what part of that answer your having trouble with - if I'm not 100% positive about something I don't post. In the past when I've been wrong I acknowledge the mistake and apologize - this is NOT one of those situations. Also, people have been complaining about Marrone's lack of aggressiveness since last season - actually starting with the Paulus era.

I think the complaint has to do with the timing here. If we're down late or down 20 points, you HAVE to go after the punter. Hell, if we're tied and our offense is looking horrendous you may go after the punter. If you have a two possession lead, and worst case scenario is you get the ball at the 50 yard line - you don't go for the block. I don't think anyone would complain about not going after the punt in that situation.
Exactly.

The defense played very well. The coaches on that side of the ball continue to do great work which is refreshing with all the speculation that teams would run over us etc. The offense is a mystery. Rutgers looks bad. Nassib's growing pains/issues are frustrating. Bailey fumbles on plays where he picks up yards and is twisting and turning for more-to do that in OT is almost selfish. I'm ok with the FG in OT, but I was also fine with going for it. The offense has struggled with short yardage. Smith has had a couple of cracks at it without success, and it may have been the previous play when Smith was down but the ball was knocked loose because it was not secure. Coach Marrone may have wanted to win this one too much if that is possible. It seemed at times like Marrone and Schiano were playing games that no one else could see. Marrone is in his 3rd year as a head coach, and I expect him to learn his lessons well. He's a winner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom