With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC

Your thought on the ACC after one season

• Like it

Votes: 63 68.5%
  • Dislike - but less than I did before the season

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Dislike/Hate as much as I did before the season

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
Yup, and guess where GT and most of its fans are located?

If you want to pick on rural GA then you may want to look at UGA, Georgia Southern or Valdosta State instead.

Given your premise that there is no interest from anywhere else in the state of Georgia in Georgia Tech athletics outside of affluent alums and their children who live in posh Atlanta, I must be wrong.

It seems pretty easy to sum up this thread;

"Big East by birth, ACC by neccesity"

Someone on here has that as their sig, but my apologies I cannot remember who. But it's a great quote and the easiest way to put this whole situation.

Marsh01 said:
Dont get me started!

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on that school and its fans.

I'm sorry, but other than a good coach and both having the best regular season ACC record, I literally see zero comparison to this UVa team and last year's Miami team. It was obvious they would be a one-hit wonder...they lost a huge senior class, and an NBA early entry who left in large part because he knew he'd never be able to duplicate the season he had with what was coming back. They lost their top 6 players, and returned like 10 ppg...most of that being Rion Brown.

We do lose Harris & Mitchell, but Justin Anderson (a sophomore, and ACC 6th man of the Year) is in line to inherit a good chunk of Joe's minutes. Anthony Gill has a higher scoring average in 7 minutes less per game than Akil, and will get considerably more minutes next year. We return London Perrantes, arguably the 3rd best freshman in the ACC this year. We bring back a 3rd starter who only averaged 18 mpg, Mike Tobey in the middle. We bring back 2 key bench contributors in Atkins & Nolte. Our best player this year (Brogdon) is back for 2 more seasons.

Then our newcomers...we redshirted a 6'5 combo guard (Hall) who was a higher rated player than Perrantes last year. BJ Stith (Bryant's son) and Isaiah Wilkins ('Nique's son) are inbound freshmen and both will likely play next year.

With Bennett running the show, I can almost guarantee we will not be Miami next year or anywhere near the bottom of the league or playing on Wednesday in the 2015 ACC Tournament.
Your next team will not be as good as this years. Top echelon teams are pretty much consistent threats to be highly ranked every year. In the ACC the list is short.

I guess that settles it--I mean, if you've never seen or met any, then both of your generalizations MUST be true. :cool:

Fairly safe to say that Atlanta might be a tad more cosmopolitan than many other parts of Georgia, no?

Ahhh, Northern cultural superiority.

Its also fairly safe to say that Atlanta is more cosmopolitan than all of Upstate with the possible exception of the few holdouts from the Kodak and Xerox glory days and the Eastman School of Music in Rochester.

I like Upstate but you can't confuse snowmobiling loaded up on schnapps with Genny Cream Ale chasers the equivalent to the chablis sippers in the Atlanta suburbs.

You would think its the natives of Cos Cob comparing themselves to sharecroppers from the Mississippi Delta. When in reality, its the kettle and the pot.

Ahhh, Northern cultural superiority.

Its also fairly safe to say that Atlanta is more cosmopolitan than all of Upstate with the possible exception of the few holdouts from the Kodak and Xerox glory days and the Eastman School of Music in Rochester.

I like Upstate but you can't confuse snowmobiling loaded up on schnapps with Genny Cream Ale chasers the equivalent to the chablis sippers in the Atlanta suburbs.

You would think its the natives of Cos Cob comparing themselves to sharecroppers from the Mississippi Delta. When in reality, its the kettle and the pot.

Hilarious. You really are the assumption / false attribution master.

FYI, I live in Minneapolis, not CNY.

Ahhh, more uninformed foot in mouth from Townie.

When you're done pontificating, follow my advice, quit embarrassing yourself, and go back to what you know--which is apparently limited to criticizing Rutgers.

Last edited:
So as we finished our first 18 game season in the ACC, what are your thoughts on the ACC.

Like It

Dislike, but quite a bit less than I did before the season.

Hate it as much / nearly as much as I did before the season

I get the sense that while many still dislike the ACC, they don't hate it as much as before.

NOTE - For the purposes of this question, the fact that it was the best alternative should not be relevant. We had no choice but to go to the ACC. But are you happy or happier with the ACC now?

For football, great!!

Hate it for basketball. ACC bball seems like a much lesser product than the Big East. In all ways. The refs are inconsistent, do not call games like the other leagues. Too many touch fouls and home teams seem to get all the calls. The arenas are small and crowds are small. The ACC network sucks. The announcers are bush league. How many times can you mispronounce COONEY. And SU will always be a red headed stepchild.

I did NOT realize the ACC digressed as far as it did and it very apparent the raid on the Big East was all about upgrading bball to the level of other conferences.

Your next team will not be as good as this years. Top echelon teams are pretty much consistent threats to be highly ranked every year. In the ACC the list is short.

It would be unrealistic to expect our (or any) ACC team to go 16-2 next year...I'm just curious what specifically about our roster/coaching staff leads you to believe we'll repeat what Miami did this year versus last year. You made the comparison, not me.

We don't have history on our side, I'll give you that. But we have alot of confidence that Bennett is a rising star in the coaching ranks. He's only 44, won National COY at Washington State, and even though he probably won't beat Marshall this year for the award, will finish near the top of the voting. He's building a program with a foundation of 4 year players that form a balanced roster, not just throwing together a bunch of early entry NBA candidates for a 1-2 year quick fix.

Hilarious. You really are the assumption / false attribution master.

FYI, I live in Minneapolis, not CNY.

Ahhh, more uninformed foot in mouth from Townie.

When you're done pontificating, follow my advice, quit embarrassing yourself, and go back to what you know--which is apparently limited to criticizing Rutgers.

The point is not where you live but the business about the lack of sophistication in the South except for Atlanta (Your words, I believe). And the Northern cultural superiority that is behind much of this criticism.

I'll not take any shots at Mlps or Minnesota. But I fish there on a lake near Grand Rapids. Lots of sophistication up there ... if you like fishing, ice fishing and hunting.

The point is not where you live but the business about the lack of sophistication in the South except for Atlanta (Your words, I believe). And the Northern cultural superiority that is behind much of this criticism.

I'll not take any shots at Mlps or Minnesota. But I fish there on a lake near Grand Rapids. Lots of sophistication up there ... if you like fishing, ice fishing and hunting.

#1, for the record, those aren't my "words." Another blatantly false attribution on your part.

#2, it is hilarious that you condescend to whine and whine and whine about cultural bias and the "business about the lack of sophistication in the South," only to turn around and make a similar sweeping generalization about life in Minnesota. I have to admit, I'm getting a chuckle by the unintentional double standard faux paux you're applying.

#3, this should be fairly self evident, but since you seem more oblivious than the average poster--life in Grand Rapids, Minnesota literally couldn't be any further different from what it's like to live in Minneapolis. Much the same as how living in any large city in the south is fundamentally different from living in remote, rural areas where things aren't the same as the big city. Maybe its just me, but I get a kick out of how you've based your entire criticism of my perspective on your interpretation of what I meant by one word from my OP in this thread, while simultaneously failing to conceal your own thinly-veiled cultural biases with each subsequent post you make

#4, For the record, I'm not actually convinced that you are talking about Grand Rapids, Minnesota. It would be @#$ hilarious to be engaged in a conversation about regional bias with someone who was referring to Grand Rapids, Michigan while attempting to get snarky about the life in Minnesota. I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but again you seem more oblivious than the average poster.

#5, I couldn't care less what you think of Minneapolis--and if that was your attempt to make a dig at my expense, it failed. However, I DO feel compelled to point out that your lack of recognition about how cosmopolitan [pay attention, for these are my actual words, in marked contrast to the incorrect citation you make above] this city is compared to the rest of the state says a lot about how poorly traveled you must be to have reached that conclusion, and how intellectually dishonest your "understanding" of regional culture is.

Feel free to come back at me with another "hurtful" attack on CNY beer and winter pastimes from Tugg Hill. You're on a roll.

Last edited:
Bottom Feeders are bottom feeders and top echelon is top echelon, regardless of league affiliation. The Big East had a fierce and rising middle class. The ACC has no middle class just an occasional upstart that has its year in the sun but nothing sustainable, no upward mobility. N Carolina and Duke have a lock on southern recruiting. The ACC will have 5 competitive teams per year, nothing more. No comparison to the old Beast when it comes to basketball.

Alaska posting in favor of a broader middle class and against a concentrated elite?!? Well I'll be...

I think we all underestimated just how much the refs would favor the home team every time out. The refs in the BE were bad but they seemed to be equally bad home and way with no preference given. In the ACC it seems that the home team always gets the better of the calls.

Except Tim Higgins who HATED home teams/crowds.

Eh, not sure.

The Big East was becoming increasingly frustrating for me, but the history of the conference is so hard to leave behind. I'll always miss it, but I tend to think the style of basketball the ACC plays is better. Not really this year as much, but I think (hope) it's the exception to the rule. This year felt pretty much as slow as the beat you up Big East battles that were becoming all too common.

I think we contributed to that a bit though. Who knows, I'll always love the Big East and all the old rivalries, but I'm hoping long term this can develop into something similar. So, I'm going to give our first year a B- (all-around, not based upon our success).

I will say I wasn't watching the conference games not involving us as closely as I did last year or any year prior though (the Big East years). That kind of sucked.

NC is the NY. I have 8 ACC schools in about a 5 hour radius. So I love the move from the standpoint of going to games. So I can understand why you would be bummed as you lost what I am excited to now have.
I am with you Guinness. Extremely happy to have Syracuse playing teams within a 4/5 hour driving radius of the Triangle area. Moved to NC in 2002 and was extremely pleased with Syracuse NC in 2003 but got tired of hearing about the "Big Least". Honestly could see the BE slowly going down hill as other conferences re-shuffled and Syracuse plus Pitt got passed over the first time, by some shady politics from ACC AD/coaches. But the seed was planted at the end of the tunnel that there may be a better basketball life after the BE. Not to overlook the positives for football and lacrosse. With the BE imploding last year, I was very pleased to see the invite from the ACC. With the arrival of Louisville next year and hopefully one more university in the near future the ACC will be one of, if not, the premier league in basketball. Once ND realizes that it will be difficult to continue to compete as an independent in football, the ACC will be complete. Lets Go Orange.

NC is the NY. I have 8 ACC schools in about a 5 hour radius. So I love the move from the standpoint of going to games. So I can understand why you would be bummed as you lost what I am excited to now have.
PS......for got to mention that since the Syracuse move to the ACC was announced in 2012, I continued to tell the folks here in NC - especially after the rough year they had in 2012-2013 and Syracuse + Louisville FF appearance - "Don't worry, help is on the way" Then to start 25-0, unbelievable. I hope UL also has a great entrance to ACC BB next year, except when they are playing the Cuse.

PS...for got to mention that since the Syracuse move to the ACC was announced in 2012, I continued to tell the folks here in NC - especially after the rough year they had in 2012-2013 and Syracuse + Louisville FF appearance - "Don't worry, help is on the way" Then to start 25-0, unbelievable. I hope UL also has a great entrance to ACC BB next year, except when they are playing the Cuse.

I loved it when at one point Syracuse and Pitt had a combined record of 28-1 and were 1, 2.

Where ARE those "green" manufacturing jobs (like Solyndra?)

Or those "shovel-ready" infrastructure jobs?

Both were complete fantasies of Political Science and English majors.

Don't Rush Limbaugh my message board!

As an UNC alum, I was against the expansion of the ACC. Nothing against Syracuse, but I liked the old ACC. Reading this thread, it seems many of you feel the same way about the Big East. That said, I'm glad Syracuse was added over some of the teams that were rumored. I didn't want Cincinnati or UConn.
I'm happy to have found this board. I enjoy reading/talking about basketball with people who understand the game and don't see everything with Carolina blue glasses. It sure beats trying to read pack pride.

ACC refs this year were a joke. The home team benefitted from questionable calls in almost every game.

For the record, we aren't rednecks. Do we have them? Sure. Based on the black ref comment earlier, it looks like you do as well. That's not the culture of UNC, Duke, Virginia, or almost all other schools. NC State has it's fair share but they are also wearing tin foil hats and yelling about the conspiracy to hold them down. It's easy to just laugh and wish them luck in the NIT.

IHonestly could see the BE slowly going down hill as other conferences re-shuffled and Syracuse plus Pitt got passed over the first time, by some shady politics from ACC AD/coaches.

No, you were done in by Virginia state politics. The governor gave our president an ultimatum to vote for VPI or else ... Our fans will never get over that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom