With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC

Your thought on the ACC after one season

• Like it

Votes: 63 68.5%
  • Dislike - but less than I did before the season

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Dislike/Hate as much as I did before the season

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
Your so funny. Hey, let's just pretend. Got it. My experiences never happened. I've seen it with my own eyes but you are telling my what I saw was 60 years out of date. Got it.

Sometimes we see what we expect to see or want to see. That's what bias is and does.

For example, what percentage of the economies of these States do military bases account for? What about all the industry that has moved there in the past 40 years (much of it from the North)?

So if you are wrong about that, what else are you wrong about?

I put next to nothing into what columnists say. I don't think we want to be judged buy what Bud writes - wiz bang!

Going there this week, curious as to the response. The biggest I've encountered have been in Connecticut and at GTown. The NCState fans at that game could not have been more bland.

You're right about one thing: uconn fans are assho1es. Worst fanbase I have ever encountered.

Sometimes we see what we expect to see or want to see.

Are you kidding me? You really need to rethink this. Just look at criminal statistics. I'm not making this up. My father-in-law believes a certain class of people are responsible for ALL that is bad in the world. I'm sure around the universities it may be more tolerant. But out in western side of the North Carolina it just hasn't change much in 100 years.

Get off or your soapbox, Townie. You've taken one word from my earlier post and are using that to argue a position that you've inferred, but which I didn't imply.

Also, did I imagine all of the negativity directed our way by angry fans of the established ACC programs when we were undefeated and ranked #1? Did I imagine all of the articles desperately craving that one of the old guard teams knock us off? Did I imagine all of the journalists claiming that they would willingly set aside old hatreds / rivalries just to see one of the southern schools knock us off? Did I imagine the jubilation that arose when we lost at Duke, inspiring one insipid journalist to gleefully proclaim the site of the ACC tournament "Greenesboro" [mis-spelling intentional], in "honor" of the referee who whistled the controversial call that cost us the game at Duke?

But thanks for the sociology lesson.

I must have missed this tidal wave of Regional resentment which was actually a couple of articles and a some message board posts.

I must have been busy when the villagers surrounded the castle with torches and pitch forks.

Thank goodness we have the more sensitive among us to keep us posted.

The overall reception of SU by the ACC schools will be determined to a great extent by the behavior of our fans. I'd suggest we try to keep our fears and biases in check. The South has been a favorite bogey man for Hollywood for decades and if that's where you got your impressions from that's what you are stuck with.

I must have missed this tidal wave of Regional resentment which was actually a couple of articles and a some message board posts.

I must have been busy when the villagers surrounded the castle with torches and pitch forks.

Thank goodness we have the more sensitive among us to keep us posted.

The overall reception of SU by the ACC schools will be determined to a great extent by the behavior of our fans. I'd suggest we try to keep our fears and biases in check. The South has been a favorite bogey man for Hollywood for decades and if that's where you got your impressions from that's what you are stuck with.

I suggest you stick to disparaging Rutgers, and stop making false attributions about what others are thinking.

Are you kidding me? You really need to rethink this. Just look at criminal statistics. I'm not making this up. My father-in-law believes a certain class of people are responsible for ALL that is bad in the world. I'm sure around the universities it may be more tolerant. But out in western side of the North Carolina it just hasn't change much in 100 years.

I know people who have never left New Jersey who think the same thing. I'll bet I could find a bunch in Upstate NY too.

I would absolutely love it if there was a guarantee that conference realignment was in fact "over".. I think the ACC is still incomplete with ND on the fence and needing one additional team. And there is still a knawing (probably unfounded) worry about UNC, Clemson and FSU..

I suggest you stick to disparaging Rutgers, and stop making false attributions about what others are thinking.

I don't know what you are thinking. I can only go by what you wrote.

When you write "rednecks", I assume you mean "Rednecks" and not those Southerners --- regardless of class --- who are still fighting the Civil War.

I'd be willing to bet that the decidedly rednecked NASCAR crowd aren't really college basketball fans by and large.

I know people who have never left New Jersey who think the same thing. I'll bet I could find a bunch in Upstate NY too.

I don't disagree with you on that point. But when I am in NC hanging out with my father-in-law and his friends they just have a certain mentality that is scary on several levels. Don't get me wrong. The people in the south are very friendly and hospitable. But it's just kind of crazy after drinking beer for a few hours and they start shooting their guns for fun. The commentary isn't exactly politically correct at that point. I'm not trying to judge. But I have funny story to tell you. One time, a guy says we have a cabin in the woods and we drink beer all day. When the deer walk by we just shoot them. He turns to me and says, "So Dave, you think you can shoot a deer?" I was little taken by surprise and generally I am not big fan of guns. I looked at him and said, "Maybe in self-defense!" I thought it was a pretty funny answer. But it did not go over well.

Quit hijacking the thread people.

In response to the OP, I'm very happy with the ACC. I don't have any facts to back this up, but it feels like the Cuse brand has gotten a nice little bump thanks to the high-profile games and the newness of it all. I think recruiting will get even better in the next few years and while I will miss the BE (especially the BET), it does feel like we belong.

Also, I wonder how much this move has lit a fire under Boeheim. If I recall, the retirement talk was heating up just a couple years ago. Now it seems like he has no intention of hanging em up. If our move to the ACC had any part of that, I'm even more thankful.

Things in Western NC have not changed much? You could not be more wrong about that. I have lived in WNC for the better part of 20 years now and things are vastly different just in my time here let alone the past 100 years.

It's a bad time to be posing this question, because under normal circumstances I'm gettting ready for a trip to NYC and the BET...right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to watch it from my house and avoid listening to the worst gaggle of announcers on the planet. I'll make the trip to Greensboro next year to say I've done it, but I probably won't do the tournament again until its up in NYC.

The Duke game was great, but it was a novelty this year, it'll be very good going forward, but I can't imagine it'll ever match Feb 1. And I'm sorta pissed that K was so nice to us this year.

I'm good with themove...but this is the worst part of the change .

Quit hijacking the thread people.

In response to the OP, I'm very happy with the ACC. I don't have any facts to back this up, but it feels like the Cuse brand has gotten a nice little bump thanks to the high-profile games and the newness of it all. I think recruiting will get even better in the next few years and while I will miss the BE (especially the BET), it does feel like we belong.

Also, I wonder how much this move has lit a fire under Boeheim. If I recall, the retirement talk was heating up just a couple years ago. Now it seems like he has no intention of hanging em up. If our move to the ACC had any part of that, I'm even more thankful.

ACC is great. One happy family.

Ignoring the likes, sort of the results I suspected.

I wanted to see if people that disliked the ACC, at least are a little more open to it now. And of the 20 that still dislike, a large majority (75%) at least prefer it now than at the beginning of the season.

I assume some of the likes also had people who disliked it early on... and probably some who just see it as a better alternative.

Let's say the Big East was still alive and not going to die. Would anybody be happier (or as happy) in the ACC now that we have played a season?

I don't disagree with you on that point. But when I am in NC hanging out with my father-in-law and his friends they just have a certain mentality that is scary on several levels. Don't get me wrong. The people in the south are very friendly and hospitable. But it's just kind of crazy after drinking beer for a few hours and they start shooting their guns for fun. The commentary isn't exactly politically correct at that point. I'm not trying to judge. But I have funny story to tell you. One time, a guy says we have a cabin in the woods and we drink beer all day. When the deer walk by we just shoot them. He turns to me and says, "So Dave, you think you can shoot a deer?" I was little taken by surprise and generally I am not big fan of guns. I looked at him and said, "Maybe in self-defense!" I thought it was a pretty funny answer. But it did not go over well.

Out of curiosity where are you from Dave? Did you grow up in Syracuse, NYC or another part of the state?

I wanted to see if people that disliked the ACC, at least are a little more open to it now. And of the 20 that still dislike, a large majority (75%) at least prefer it now than at the beginning of the season.

I assume some of the likes also had people who disliked it early on... and probably some who just see it as a better alternative.

Let's say the Big East was still alive and not going to die. Would anybody be happier (or as happy) in the ACC now that we have played a season?

It's good for football. For basketball, I miss the BET in MSG. Overall it's just okay for me. I really hate Cameron stadium. I just don't think fans should be within spitting distance of our players.

Out of curiosity where are you from Dave? Did you grow up in Syracuse, NYC or another part of the state?

I'm from central New Jersey. When I was at school I spent most of my time in the city of Syracuse. I've worked in NYC over the years.

Yes, I still like it more. The football is obviously better and we were part of the two biggest basketball games of the regular season. Both Duke games had higher tv ratings and received more national exposure than any of our Big East matchups.

I'm from central New Jersey. When I was at school I spent most of my time in the city of Syracuse. I've worked in NYC over the years.

I was just curious because you seem like a city guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I wonder if that is what really shocks you about some of the southerners you have encountered. That it isn't so much north vs. south but rather city vs. country.

I am an upstate NY guy. Family is from there and I grew up there. For a good portion of that we lived in what others called the sticks. Basically areas that were mostly farms. I grew up hunting, fishing and generally doing outdoors stuff. While I don't have a confederate flag I do drive a truck and own a few firearms. If I did all that and was from the south instead of upstate NY I have no doubt many here would label me a redneck.

It seems to me that Townie's point about our own built in biases and seeing what we want to see is not an invalid point given your reaction to a guy asking if you could shoot a deer. As a city guy that is something that seems really out of the norm to you but for others like me it isn't.

You are just suffering from a little culture shock.

In Western PA, they shut down businesses on the first day of deer season because of the number of hunters they have employed. Hunting is not only a Southern thing. The South is just where you have come in contact with them.

Having served in the military I know a lot about fire arms. I have worn them and cleaned them ad nauseum. And qualified as an expert marksman on a number of them. I know about muzzle velocities and twists and "loads' and all the things they teach you in the military in those jobs where you come into a lot of contact with them.

Some are fascinated by them, but I am no great fan. But I'm scared to death of the things. I have seen many accidental discharges at clearing pits from weapons people swore were empty. I own one, because some guys gave me one as a momento of our service together. I won't throw it away and I can't sell it because of all the rules.

The hunting thing has always been a mystery to me. I don't see the appeal of walking through the woods killing animals as long as there are supermarkets. BUT, it seems there are intelligent people on both sides of the issue. Ernest Hemingway --- one of my favorites --- was an avid hunter.

Not being interesting in hunting is not some sign of moral superiority just as loving hunting is not some sign of masculinity. Two people can arrive on different sides of the issue without either being wrong.

Love it. Little bits of the Big East died over time, and after 2003, it was a completely depressing place for football. A great, but disjointed place for hoops.

Now we're happy and secure. The Greensboro thing is going to be a challenge, but it's not a long term problem.

I can see this from the football side, but then we'd have missed out on things like the 6 OT classic...really, I don't even feel I need to continue the list after that. Some would add the rivalry with Louisville, etc to that list.
Football:
Fewer (or no) games at MetLife.

Basketball:
I never got into the Louisville thing... Overall hoops quality went down and the formation of the 256-team conference was just crazy.

Lacrosse:
Wouldn't have been coerced into participating in a 2nd-rate lax conference.

Duke, UVA, UNC and Wake Forest as "rednecks"? Interesting concept.

If any school has a "redneck" (lower socionomic class) student body and fan base, it's Louisville and not even Georgia Tech.
I don't know why GA Tech was drawn into this. If you equate "geek" or "nerd" with "redneck", then maybe... but most wouldn't make that comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom