With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC

Your thought on the ACC after one season

• Like it

Votes: 63 68.5%
  • Dislike - but less than I did before the season

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Dislike/Hate as much as I did before the season

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
You're the one who subjectively defined it as "lower socioeconomic class," not me. I was referring to those still overtly fighting the Civil War, and viewing Syracuse as the northern aggressors invading their conference.

No argument on Ville / GT.
You've clearly never been to GA Tech's campus.

Sometimes we see what we expect to see or want to see. That's what bias is and does.

For example, what percentage of the economies of these States do military bases account for? What about all the industry that has moved there in the past 40 years (much of it from the North)?

So if you are wrong about that, what else are you wrong about?
Don't get too comfortable with your transplanted northern industry. The south is a way station on the road to Mexico->China->Vietnam-> Philippines.

As to the military element--the south would be 50 years behind if their Congressmen-for-life-had not controlled the purse strings during the '50's-'60's-'70's, and directed all of those defense dollars into the old Confederacy.

Last edited:
The conference that you memorialize died long ago.

It was a collection of elite teams with a handful of medicore/bad teasm thrown in as well. No geographic or academic identity whatsoever.

I don't know why GA Tech was drawn into this. If you equate "geek" or "nerd" with "redneck", then maybe... but most wouldn't make that comparison.

I love reading their StinGTalk site. Makes you think of them as a bunch of Good Ol' Boys who can do integral calculus.

Don't get too comfortable with your transplanted northern industry. The south is a way station on the way to Mexico->China->Vietnam-> Philippines.

As to the military element--the south would be 50 years behind if their Congressmen-for-life-had not controlled the purse strings during the '50's-'60's-'70's, and directed all of those defense dollars into the old Confederacy.

How much do you know about the economics of manufacturing, Longtimefan?

Transportation expense and proximity to customers are huge factors for many items that will never be sent overseas. Increased use of robots takes the lower cost labor out of the equation almost entirely.

Sneakers and t-shirts, sure. Electrical equipment (switches, panels, etc), HVAC equipment and other lower volume, higher value stuff is not leaving the US ... unless the EPA, OSHA and other Government agencies force more into Mexico.

As long as there are high tax states that toddy up to Unions like New York, the Southern states will do fine.

It was --- and continues to be --- politicians that killed business in the North and who have tried to shift the blame to "greedy" businesses.

To hear these politicians now bemoan the fact that the industries either left or died is nauseating. Or to have them suggest they are going to somehow revitalize manufacturing is mind-boggling. North Carolina didn't kill Detroit. Detroit and the UAW killed Detroit.

You've clearly never been to GA Tech's campus.

Actually I have a couple of times. They have one of the best Conference Centers in the US. I have even been to a football game there and ate at the drive in they are so crazy about (The Varsity?)

There are plenty of "rednecks" in Georgia. But not on the campuses of the leading universities.

The conference that you memorialize died long ago.

I agree with that statement.

I do miss the long-gone basketball conference of the 1980's.

At the end, the New, New Big East was more Conference USA than it was old Big East.

How much do you know about the economics of manufacturing, Longtimefan?

Transportation expense and proximity to customers are huge factors for many items that will never be sent overseas. Increased use of robots takes the lower cost labor out of the equation almost entirely.

Sneakers and t-shirts, sure. Electrical equipment (switches, panels, etc), HVAC equipment and other lower volume, higher value stuff is not leaving the US ... unless the EPA, OSHA and other Government agencies force more into Mexico.

As long as there are high tax states that toddy up to Unions like New York, the Southern states will do fine.

It was --- and continues to be --- politicians that killed business in the North and who have tried to shift the blame to "greedy" businesses.

To hear these politicians now bemoan the fact that the industries either left or died is nauseating. Or to have them suggest they are going to somehow revitalize manufacturing is mind-boggling. North Carolina didn't kill Detroit. Detroit and the UAW killed Detroit.
Much manufacturing, which requires human labor, is chasing the lowest labor costs. The race to the bottom continues.

Actually I have a couple of times. They have one of the best Conference Centers in the US. I have even been to a football game there and ate at the drive in they are so crazy about (The Varsity?)

There are plenty of "rednecks" in Georgia. But not on the campuses of the leading universities.
My comment was actually directed at RF. :)

Yes, the food establishment is called The Varsity. I would recommend that no one go there.

Much manufacturing, which requires human labor, is chasing the lowest labor costs. The race to the bottom continues.

I recently drove past a Toyota plant just North of Jackson, MS on an Interstate.

It was huge. It went on forever as I drove past.

The parking lot could have served a medium-sized supermarket.

What's that tell you?

More jobs will be lost to automation than to Southeast Asia. The higher the taxes, the more the job losses.

I recently drove past a Toyota plant just North of Jackson, MS on an Interstate.

It was huge. It went on forever as I drove past.

The parking lot could have served a medium-sized supermarket.

What's that tell you?

More jobs will be lost to automation than to Southeast Asia. The higher the taxes, the more the job losses.
And what about all those smart phones and all the rest of the electronics that are increasingly the center of everyone's universe?

And, I hate like hell that our states bid against each other to see who can kiss the most corporate ass, when said corporations are literally "stateless".

I hate it when a thread turns into FoxNews.

Where ARE those "green" manufacturing jobs (like Solyndra?)

Or those "shovel-ready" infrastructure jobs?

Both were complete fantasies of Political Science and English majors.

As well as a Kia plant on I-85 in west Georgia and the Hyundai plant on the same highway just across the Alabama border.

And what about all those smart phones and all the rest of the electronics that are increasingly the center of everyone's universe?

And, I hate like hell that our states bid against each other to see who can kiss the most corporate ass, when said corporations are literally "stateless".

Of course, small stuff like smartphones that are easy to ship are a natural. Although the labor content is low and getting lower. I suspect avoiding the EPA is as important as are labor costs.

States are competing for industries that provide employment and taxes. It's healthy as it makes their products less expensive for everyone.

Thank goodness or we'd be even less competitive internationally than we are today. Trade deficits would skyrocket if governments weren't restrained.

Government revenues (tax dollars) appear to belong to no one, and the instinct to bestow them on someone is irresistible.

As well as a Kia plant on I-85 in west Georgia and the Hyundai plant on the same highway just across the Alabama border.

And BMW in SC.

Same situation.

Big plants.

Very few employees.

Lots of robots moving parts, welding, tightening, etc.

Necessary move, but 2/3 of the team's conference schedule bored me to tears. It took a swoon by SU to make some of the games against the bottom 10 of any interest. Someone wake me up on Friday night, though are there truly ANY interesting games prior to Saturday? I'm hoping I can avoid the acc network this weekend, though if I have to listen to Vitale that isn't much better. I won't get into how much I'll miss MSG at this time of year (hope to be there in 2 weeks though). I do not see a trip to Greensboro in my future.

I was completely confused why this thread was like this then realized it had a bunch of "ignored content".
Shocking.

First time I have ever used the ignore button. Which is a shame, because OP actually asked a legit question that would elicit some good responses.

As for me, I am not all warm and fuzzy about the ACC move. I realize it had to be done, but I miss my tri-state games. Rutgers, Seton Hall, Big East Tournament. First two, being to easy/cheap trips for me to watch SU play.

I especially miss SNY's coverage. Trying to figure out what channel games are on is a pain in a$$.

My comment was actually directed at RF. :)

My response would be pretty similar to Townie's. Not all GT fans are students there--I thought everyone understood this as a minimum threshold of the discussion.

Aside from MSG, I love it. If they every work out a deal bring the ACC Tournament to NYC then this league will have officially made me forget about The Big East.

First time I have ever used the ignore button. Which is a shame, because OP actually asked a legit question that would elicit some good responses.

As for me, I am not all warm and fuzzy about the ACC move. I realize it had to be done, but I miss my tri-state games. Rutgers, Seton Hall, Big East Tournament. First two, being to easy/cheap trips for me to watch SU play.

I especially miss SNY's coverage. Trying to figure out what channel games are on is a pain in a$$.

NC is the NY. I have 8 ACC schools in about a 5 hour radius. So I love the move from the standpoint of going to games. So I can understand why you would be bummed as you lost what I am excited to now have.

My response would be pretty similar to Townie's. Not all GT fans are students there--I thought everyone understood this as a minimum threshold of the discussion.
I haven't seen any GT fans who aren't (family of) alumni. The GA masses root for UGA, but most people in this thread already know that.

None of the GT alumni that I've worked with, nor the other alumni & fans that I've met in my 7+ years in Atlanta, would qualify as rednecks.

I haven't seen any GT fans who aren't (family of) alumni. The GA masses root for UGA, but most people in this thread already know that.

None of the GT alumni that I've worked with, nor the other alumni & fans that I've met in my 7+ years in Atlanta, would qualify as rednecks.

I guess that settles it--I mean, if you've never seen or met any, then both of your generalizations MUST be true. :cool:

Fairly safe to say that Atlanta might be a tad more cosmopolitan than many other parts of Georgia, no?

Fairly safe to say that Atlanta might be a tad more cosmopolitan than many other parts of Georgia, no?
Yup, and guess where GT and most of its fans are located?

If you want to pick on rural GA then you may want to look at UGA, Georgia Southern or Valdosta State instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom