With our connections to Canadian basketball do we have any chance at RJ Barrett? | Syracusefan.com

With our connections to Canadian basketball do we have any chance at RJ Barrett?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I just watched that kid rip up the USA team coached by Calipari.

What an awful coaching job by Calipari. He made no adjustments and watched this kid Barrett destroy the USA team.

Barrett is a 2019 recruit but I hope without connections to Canadian basketball we atleast go hard for this 1 and done kid. He looked better than Andrew Wiggins.

What an awful coaching job by Calipari. He made no adjustments and watched this kid Barrett destroy the USA team.

Barrett is a 2019 recruit but I hope without connections to Canadian basketball we atleast go hard for this 1 and done kid. He looked better than Andrew Wiggins.
Cal was using the game to recruit Barrett

It doesn't matter because he has a proven record of getting highly ranked recruits into the league. He develops the out of those 5* projected lottery pick kids. Coaching is for people who can't recruit.

Cal barely playing Kevin Huerter so he could play Hami is a crime.
Diallo was atrocious offensively and was being abused defensively.

Honestly Calipari was awful coaching this team. He literally didn't change anything while Barrett was abusing the USA guards.

Yes, why aren't we even trying? Does Oshae or Washington know him? Was he a Cuse fan in Canada as a kid? If he shows any interest at all we should show the love.

Plenty of schools have not offered yet. Doesn't mean it won't come
That may be so but haven't we learned that many recruits appreciate the schools that recruit them earliest on and the hardest. Can we be that school. Can we develop a relationship with him and his family early instead of showing up on his doorstep late with our hat in our hands

That may be so but haven't we learned that many recruits appreciate the schools that recruit them earliest on and the hardest. Can we be that school. Can we develop a relationship with him and his family early instead of showing up on his doorstep late with our hat in our hands

There's no way of us knowing what's most important to this kid. If we go after him and land him, great. No sense in getting frustrated or what have you at this stage

Again, how do you know we're not? You keep assuming we are sitting on our hands. With no real reason to do so. We were not the first to offer Bazely. That worked out OK, no?

Again, how do you know we're not? You keep assuming we are sitting on our hands. With no real reason to do so. We were not the first to offer Bazely. That worked out OK, no?
Well do you know we are? Bazeley reached out to us. You are assuming things too. We are on the same side and I have been very pleased with Boeheims efforts recently but the question remains for me. Why no offer

Diallo was atrocious offensively and was being abused defensively.

Honestly Calipari was awful coaching this team. He literally didn't change anything while Barrett was abusing the USA guards.
I wonder if the kid will regret not going into the draft this year. I imagine given his athleticism he will still be a first rounder, perhaps very late. However, I wonder if the other talent at UK will overshadow him, and his offensive deficiencies will be more clear. He's certainly still young and possesses a ton of talent.

Well do you know we are? Bazeley reached out to us. You are assuming things too. We are on the same side and I have been very pleased with Boeheims efforts recently but the question remains for me. Why no offer
Bazely reached out to us - that's the only reason we offered. :rolleyes:

I am assuming nothing. You, however, are assuming we are not recruiting him. You have no idea. Neither do I. Just because there is no offer does not mean we are not recruiting him. Sheesh.

Bazely reached out to us - that's the only reason we offered. :rolleyes:

I am assuming nothing. You, however, are assuming we are not recruiting him. You have no idea. Neither do I. Just because there is no offer does not mean we are not recruiting him. Sheesh.
Whatever

Plenty of posters are hypersensitive about recruiting these days. I understand the concern and believe its reasonable especially after that 2017 recruiting cycle. That said this is a 2019 kid and we are currently concentrating on the 2018 class as we should be. That doesn't mean we haven't reached out and aren't building bridges with him though. Another thing to consider is that sometimes the staff reaches out to a kid early on and the response is that they aren't interested in SU at all. There can be a variety of reasons for that but why offer or waste time and resources in that situation?

Last edited:
Plenty of posters are hypersensitive about recruiting these days. I understand the concern and believe its reasonable especially after that 2017 recruiting cycle. That said this is a 2019 kid and we are currently concentrating on the 2018 class as we should be. That doesn't mean we haven't reached out and aren't building bridges with him though. Another thing to consider is that sometimes the staff reaches out to a kid early on and they response is that they aren't interested in SU at all. There can be a variety of reasons for that but why offer or waste time and resources in that situation?
Bazely calmed me down. I got no problem with focusing on 2018 but we only have 1 opening right now and I love the fact Red is handling Carey.

If we have another opening okay. My point was this kid Barrett is the number 1 recruit for 2019. We have connections to Canada I hope we are trying for this kid. Considering we only have 1-2 openings for 2018 I would to get in on Barrett early.

Kid looked Tracy McGrady dominating college USA players. If we aren't recruiting him okay but I feel like with how small our 2018 class is going to be this kid should be getting some attention hopefully.

Bazely calmed me down. I got no problem with focusing on 2018 but we only have 1 opening right now and I love the fact Red is handling Carey.

If we have another opening okay. My point was this kid Barrett is the number 1 recruit for 2019. We have connections to Canada I hope we are trying for this kid. Considering we only have 1-2 openings for 2018 I would to get in on Barrett early.

Kid looked Tracy McGrady dominating college USA players. If we aren't recruiting him okay but I feel like with how small our 2018 class is going to be this kid should be getting some attention hopefully.

I completely agree we should be trying to get this kid! I'm just saying we don't know if we are or aren't trying and if we did reach out we don't know what feedback we received. Bazley made me feel much better about recruiting and we are in good shape with Carey. I think the 18 class will be bigger than you expect though.

I'm not sure why so many take it as fact that Cal is a bad coach. He's a great recruiter and salesman whether he is following all the rules or not. I don't think he's one of the better in game coaches but he gets a bunch of new players to play hard season after season and they learn his system pretty well from what I see. He is far from a bad coach IMO while he is also not one of the greats.

I'm not sure why so many take it as fact that Cal is a bad coach. He's a great recruiter and salesman whether he is following all the rules or not. I don't think he's one of the better in game coaches but he gets a bunch of new players to play hard season after season and they learn his system pretty well from what I see. He is far from a bad coach IMO while he is also not one of the greats.
The players he is getting are already highly self-motived and will play hard as it's their year-long tryout for the NBA. On a team loaded with 5-star players, each year; only one National Championship and that was the year a senior played a pivotal role. There are numerous other coaches who, with that talent, annually, who would have added to that total.

The players he is getting are already highly self-motived and will play hard as it's their year-long tryout for the NBA. On a team loaded with 5-star players, each year; only one National Championship and that was the year a senior played a pivotal role. There are numerous other coaches who, with that talent, annually, who would have added to that total.

I agree there are coaches who would be more successful with the talent he has had but I think there are plenty of coaches who wouldn't be. Just because a guy isn't one of the games great coaches doesn't mean he is a bad coach. Also in the college game you have to take recruiting into consideration because no matter how well you can coach you can only get so far without talent. Cal is a great recruiter.

Last edited: