With our connections to Canadian basketball do we have any chance at RJ Barrett? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With our connections to Canadian basketball do we have any chance at RJ Barrett?

That may be so but haven't we learned that many recruits appreciate the schools that recruit them earliest on and the hardest. Can we be that school. Can we develop a relationship with him and his family early instead of showing up on his doorstep late with our hat in our hands
You mean like we did with Q. Green?

I think losing to Canada's embarrassing, regardless of their growing talent/prominence. Then again I dont think cal's motives were to bring home gold, at least it wasn't priority. Leaving it at that.

I agree there are coaches who would be more successful with the talent he has had but I think there are plenty of coaches who wouldn't be. Just because a guy isn't one of the games great coaches doesn't mean he is a bad coach. Also in the college game you have to take recruiting into consideration because no matte how well you can coach you can only get so far without talent. Cal is a great recruiter.

Yeah, I feel the same. Honest or not, he's a great recruiter. He's a decent in game coach...nothing really special. I guess the only X and O comment I could make about him, is that he gets all these 5 stars to buy into his program, even though it ends up costing them minutes. Managing several 5 star egos at one time cannot be easy!

I think losing to Canada's embarrassing, regardless of their growing talent/prominence. Then again I dont think cal's motives were to bring home gold, at least it wasn't priority. Leaving it at that.
Canada feels the same way about USA hockey beating them at the world Junior championships of hockey.

Canadian basketball isn't going to be better than USA basketball just like USA hockey won't be better than Canadian hockey but each side has enough talent where they can beat the other side in a one game scenario.

Yes. Gotta admit we made it close.

I don't know about that, yes we almost got him but it was all on his terms. He had us locked in as a fall back position for about 7 to 8 months. We never secured a publicly announced verbal from him.

Last edited:
Canada feels the same way about USA hockey beating them at the world Junior championships of hockey.

Canadian basketball isn't going to be better than USA basketball just like USA hockey won't be better than Canadian hockey but each side has enough talent where they can beat the other side in a one game scenario.

That may have been true years ago when Canada went on a huge run of WJC but that is not the case now, USA is basically on even grounds with Canada, Finland, Sweden, Russia when it comes to the WJC, it just depends on the year/which 18-19 year old NHLers aren't allowed to play. USA hockey should be on par or better then Canada soon with Eichel, Keller, Matthews, Tkachuk and then Hanifin, Jones, McAvoy, Werenski, the 2016 NHL Draft was the best for USA that I can ever remember, and then of course the NHL owners/Bettman ruin it with blocking pros from going to the Olympics.

With basketball I feel Canada is still and up and coming and will end up producing a pretty competitive national team within the next 5 years but will never be on par with USA just because of the sizes of our nation, hockey can become on par just due to the fact hockey is a regional sport in the US and basically everyone in Canada picks hockey as the sport they'd like to play yet the player pools number wise are quite similar unlike basketball.

Barrett's dad is Rowan Barrett - former player at St. John's if you remember back in the 90's I believe (1992 to 1996)

Family is likely not Syracuse fans based on former Big East ties

I don't know about that, yes we almost git him but it was all on his terms. He had us locked in as a fall back position for about 7 to 8 months. We never secured a publicly announced verbal form him.
Yes but my point is without all the effort we put in we may not even been on his radar as Nova was after him also. Without the love and attention doubt we would have been top two in my opinion. Getting in early and courting helps period .

Yes but my point is without all the effort we put in we may not even been on his radar as Nova was after him also. Without the love and attention doubt we would have been top two in my opinion. Getting in early and courting helps period .

Sure we could have been. In the end all we needed was a bag drop. :p

Barrett's dad is Rowan Barrett - former player at St. John's if you remember back in the 90's I believe (1992 to 1996)

Family is likely not Syracuse fans based on former Big East ties[/QUOTE

You're probably right but 4 of my immediate family went to Nova and me to Cuse. Never know

I don't know about that, yes we almost got him but it was all on his terms. He had us locked in as a fall back position for about 7 to 8 months. We never secured a publicly announced verbal from him.
Or Anthony Davis or others we've been "early" on

This kid ends up in 2018 when all said and done. Goes to Duke with Cam is my guess. Tucker/O'Connell sit the bench.

That may have been true years ago when Canada went on a huge run of WJC but that is not the case now, USA is basically on even grounds with Canada, Finland, Sweden, Russia when it comes to the WJC, it just depends on the year/which 18-19 year old NHLers aren't allowed to play. USA hockey should be on par or better then Canada soon with Eichel, Keller, Matthews, Tkachuk and then Hanifin, Jones, McAvoy, Werenski, the 2016 NHL Draft was the best for USA that I can ever remember, and then of course the NHL owners/Bettman ruin it with blocking pros from going to the Olympics.

With basketball I feel Canada is still and up and coming and will end up producing a pretty competitive national team within the next 5 years but will never be on par with USA just because of the sizes of our nation, hockey can become on par just due to the fact hockey is a regional sport in the US and basically everyone in Canada picks hockey as the sport they'd like to play yet the player pools number wise are quite similar unlike basketball.

We're still a long ways behind Canada and hopefully nearing Russia and Sweden. Hopefully the new generation gets us closer but still seems like a stretch as Canadas depth is just on an entire different level.

Well at olympic/world cup levels at least. A lot of moving parts at the WJC can even things out in a given year.

All I know is: You score on Tretiak, you keep the puck!!

World Juniors Hockey is the equivalent of this FIBA U-19 tournament.

I agree there are coaches who would be more successful with the talent he has had but I think there are plenty of coaches who wouldn't be. Just because a guy isn't one of the games great coaches doesn't mean he is a bad coach. Also in the college game you have to take recruiting into consideration because no matter how well you can coach you can only get so far without talent. Cal is a great recruiter.
I agree with most of what you are saying here and I am not trying to pick a fight. Having said that, he is a slick operator who plays fast and loose with the rules of recruiting. In every stop, in college, prior to Kentucky, the institution was placed on probation, after he left. In my view, he is still playing fast and loose with the rules. In my view, he is among the poorest examples of coaching with regard to the spirit and intent of the rules.

Recruiting Canada, hockey and boxing all in one thread. I feel like Ross and Monica's mother.

Wasn't sure. That's why I questioned. Thanks

No problem. He and Vlade Divac were part of that amazing Yugoslavian team that broke up along ethnic lines when the Balkan war broke out. They became outcasts overnight. Croats they played ball with their whole lives stopped talking to Vlade. I think Drazen had died by then.

Or Anthony Davis or others we've been "early" on

We werent so early with anthony. Maybe earlier than others but we started chasing that rocket ship after takeoff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom