With our recent SG woes I wonder why Cuse doesn't go to a 2 pg system more often... | Syracusefan.com

With our recent SG woes I wonder why Cuse doesn't go to a 2 pg system more often...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
Just a thought. I think back to Dion and Scoop 11-12. Imagine adding someone like Ennis to that team. We don't need lights out shooting from three, just to be able to knock down 2-5 a game.
Cuse is a pound the paint and hit the offensive boards type of team. We have been doing it for years. Its the meat of our game. And when we miss inside shots we get garbage points on the boards or stay in the game with tough hardnosed defense. Not to mention transition and ball handling in the open court, and the ability to run screens inside more for guys like Fair and grant, instead of on the perimeter with 2 pg's on the floor.

I really hope Ennis returns next to Joseph. I think they would make a awesome backourt(our best scoring backcourt). I get the feeling Joseph is going to score from day 1.

Don't get me wrong we have had guys like Louie McCrowsky and Josh Wright, but funny thing is they could get off a three easier against pressure then Triche or Cooney. Even MCW's had a slower hitched release but he could pull up under pressure from outside.

I think a big part of it is when we recruited triche and cooney neither were a pull up off the dribble three point shooting type. Its hard to thrive against the top 50 playing their best defense without that these days. You really really got to be able to shoot comfortably with a hand in your face without a dribble pullup 3, like Andy rautins could. Imagine if we had Antonio Barton on this team we were in the running for awhile. This is one reason I like Buss' potential he can pullup off the dribble and off a sidestep.

We used to be a combo guard team, now with mcw ennis and kaleb we can bring in two elite pg's and a third one who can drive and score some instead. With 1 of our forwards and 2 of our pg's giving us 2-5 three point attempts each.

It goes to show how important experience can be to college ball. Our backcourt consisted of a two sophmores and 3 freshmen this year.

Gbinije really impressed me the last few games. His drive has alot of potential, and he has a nice strong muscle tone. His dunk against Dayton was his best of the year.

Last edited:
Gbinije was able to create a few halfcourt transition drives for himself the last few games. Not off isolation, but he still was able to.

If we had more of a threat at post position, maybe this would work. No SG threat and no one able to convert in paint would result in CJ ( or forward du jour) dribbling around trying to force a shot with 6 seconds on clock

You have to have 2 PG's first to be able to do that. Boeheim and staff have tried to make silent G one and he did a fine job but he is still playing out of position. I would love to have 2 guards that can shoot, dribble and pass...oh and each be 6'5" or better too.

Just a thought. I think back to Dion and Scoop 11-12. Imagine adding someone like Ennis to that team. We don't need lights out shooting from three, just to be able to knock down 2-5 a game.
Cuse is a pound the paint and hit the offensive boards type of team. We have been doing it for years. Its the meat of our game. And when we miss inside shots we get garbage points on the boards or stay in the game with tough hardnosed defense. Not to mention transition and ball handling in the open court, and the ability to run screens inside more for guys like Fair and grant, instead of on the perimeter with 2 pg's on the floor.

I really hope Ennis returns next to Joseph. I think they would make a awesome backourt(our best scoring backcourt). I get the feeling Joseph is going to score from day 1.

Don't get me wrong we have had guys like Louie McCrowsky and Josh Wright, but funny thing is they could get off a three easier against pressure then Triche or Cooney. Even MCW's had a slower hitched release but he could pull up under pressure from outside.

I think a big part of it is when we recruited triche and cooney neither were a pull up off the dribble three point shooting type. Its hard to thrive against the top 50 playing their best defense without that these days. You really really got to be able to shoot comfortably with a hand in your face without a dribble pullup 3, like Andy rautins could. Imagine if we had Antonio Barton on this team we were in the running for awhile. This is one reason I like Buss' potential he can pullup off the dribble and off a sidestep.

We used to be a combo guard team, now with mcw ennis and kaleb we can bring in two elite pg's and a third one who can drive and score some instead. With 1 of our forwards and 2 of our pg's giving us 2-5 three point attempts each.

It goes to show how important experience can be to college ball. Our backcourt consisted of a two sophmores and 3 freshmen this year.

Gbinije really impressed me the last few games. His drive has alot of potential, and he has a nice strong muscle tone. His dunk against Dayton was his best of the year.

You just compared Louie mccroskey and josh wright to triche and Cooney. We couldn't win the NIT with those two starting at guard. Just awful. Give me a break.

I sometimes wonder if you watched different players than I did with the same name.

Wright and McCroskey? They weren't 3 point shooters. Wright had a shot that started from his chest. He had one year where he made some but still only shot 30%. The other years he made a couple for the season. McCroskey never broke 30% here.

MCW? Teams tried to prevent him from driving. They dared him to shoot the 3. Never saw him curling around a screen or taking his man off the dribble for a good look 3.

And like others, you are thinking of Andy's senior season.

Josh and Louie couldn't even maintain possession of the ball under pressure, much less get shots off. 50% of McCroskey's shot attempts were blocked anyway.

Gbinije was impressive because he was the only guy with fresh legs.
Fresh legs? This is one of the oldest myths. These are college athletes. They don't get sore for a week like you do after raking leaves for 20 minutes.

I sometimes wonder if you watched different players than I did with the same name.

Wright and McCroskey? They weren't 3 point shooters. Wright had a shot that started from his chest. He had one year where he made some but still only shot 30%. The other years he made a couple for the season. McCroskey never broke 30% here.

MCW? Teams tried to prevent him from driving. They dared him to shoot the 3. Never saw him curling around a screen or taking his man off the dribble for a good look 3.

And like others, you are thinking of Andy's senior season.

Good post. Yeah thats kind of my point. I don't know if Cooney will be able to shoot a pressure 3 to he is a 5th year senior like rautins if ever. Rautins made the jump from a spot up shooter to a shooter who can shoot under pressure and pull up off 1 dribble his senior season. If it wasn't for devendorf on his team his junior year he might not have knocked down many shots either.

I just would stay away from the spot up SG who can't shoot against pressure or pull up off the dribble from 3 in isolation some in high school. Especially as a 2nd or 3rd option in the near future. That is something that underdogs do, and wait for them to be seniors.
For recruiting purposes, it has hurt us the last 2 years (not 3 because we had a senior scoop, sophmore dion, junior triche, and freshmen mcw.).

Not saying we would be any better with a pg who isn't ready to drive and score, or run a no high post offense to his jr/senior seasons, but recently between dion,mcw,ennis,joseph we have got pg's who are ready to run the offense by their freshmen sophmore seasons. Why not try to get 2 together on one team? And I am not saying dion is a true pg, but he had good enough court vision and thrives on attacking the lane to be considered a score first pg.

A big reason I am looking forward to malachi is he can pull up off the dribble I expect him to make some big shots by the end of his sophmore year against tight defense.(and that's without a redshirt year).

I am more then happy averaging 8 threes a game, 5-6 from our guards and 2-3 from our forwards. JB's recent teams are built to be successful in march doing that.

Last edited:
Fresh legs? This is one of the oldest myths. These are college athletes. They don't get sore for a week like you do after raking leaves for 20 minutes.
It's not about being sore really, though, it's about being worn down. And this is something that factors into NBA performance with "hitting the rookie wall" so it's not limited to college hoops.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Cooney, who redshirted and then played sparingly, went from barely playing for two full years to logging somewhere near 800 minutes (I think) and simply got worn out and lost his legs along the way, with his jumper suffering for it.

imo Cooney can't shoot under pressure, or pull up from outside off the dribble yet.

Its not his game, he needs to get out of his comfort zone shooting those high percentages in practice and start making shots under pressure and in isolation off the bounce some. If not he will never be even nearly as good as gerry, rautins or devendorf.

Fair, grant, and cooneys baskets off the motion offense dissapeared more and more as the season went on, and imo that wasn't because they were tired but because defenses got better. As a result ennis had to run things alot more.

That's kind of what we had last year ['13], isn't it? Triche was more of a combo than a pure 1, but both of those guys could handle, pass, and create off the bounce.

It's contingent upon personnel. Having two smurfs manning the top of the zone isn't a formula for success. Having bigger guards a la MCW, Triche, Dion, Andy, etc. who can also do some things off the bounce and creating is what we're after.

Yeah, but triches isolation wasn't all that great, Ennis, MCW, Dion by comparison had a ton. Of course all 3 will be first round nba picks as well.

I think its lateral speed, motor, and physicality more then height when we want to extend our zone.

That's kind of what we had last year ['13], isn't it? Triche was more of a combo than a pure 1, but both of those guys could handle, pass, and create off the bounce.

It's contingent upon personnel. Having two smurfs manning the top of the zone isn't a formula for success. Having bigger guards a la MCW, Triche, Dion, Andy, etc. who can also do some things off the bounce and creating is what we're after.
Exactly right about the personnel being crucial. We have been fortunate to have big, rangy point guards. But can you imagine two McNamara's at the top of the zone? We would get destroyed. Fortunately next year we actually could pull this off if Ennis comes back, because Joseph is 6-3 and long and rangy.

Thanks JB, better luck next year.

One thing is for sure, we better be practicing defensed jumpers all year next year.

Yeah, but triches isolation wasn't all that great, Ennis, MCW, Dion by comparison had a ton. Of course all 3 will be first round nba picks as well.

I think its lateral speed, motor, and physicality more then height when we want to extend our zone.

I'll disagree about Triche to an extent. I'll readily admit: he wasn't great the entire year, but by the postseason Triche was getting into the lane and scoring pretty much at will. He was a big part of our success down the stretch one. He had all the tools, he was just inconsistent--but when he was on and dialed in our backcourt as very difficult to contend with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom