With so many grads working NY area - How the heck are we so dis-respected | Syracusefan.com

With so many grads working NY area - How the heck are we so dis-respected

GooseMutt

All Conference
Seriously, you would think that if anything there would be a slant in our favor. Is it like when your dad coaches you and goes out of his way to bust your butt harder as to not show favoritism. Is it a bad taste in media mouth due to irritable Coach B at press conferences. Why do people hate us. Where is Orange pride in the media. Perplexed

xflhateme-e1442542430385.jpg

Seriously, you would think that if anything there would be a slant in our favor. Is it like when your dad coaches you and goes out of his way to bust your butt harder as to not show favoritism. Is it a bad taste in media mouth due to irritable Coach B at press conferences. Why do people hate us. Where is Orange pride in the media. Perplexed

Is there a specific instance that you have in mind? I think a lot of people who didn't get into Syracuse are bitter.

Is there a specific instance that you have in mind? I think a lot of people who didn't get into Syracuse are bitter.
I graduated from Syracuse in 1980. So I'm not bitter about not getting in. In fact I was at the Georgetown game in Manley field house when Thompson declared it officially closed (maddening!) lived in Skytop and loved my time there. What I guess I'm referring to is I grew up in Jersey moved to San Francisco in 83. Came back her in 2015 to care for family. And noticed immediately how the n y papers don't even track Syracuse like the other local teams and we are the biggest Marqui team in area typically. There seams to be an underlying conspiracy to ignore us

I graduated from Syracuse in 1980. So I'm not bitter about not getting in. In fact I was at the Georgetown game in Manley field house when Thompson declared it officially closed (maddening!) lived in Skytop and loved my time there. What I guess I'm referring to is I grew up in Jersey moved to San Francisco in 83. Came back her in 2015 to care for family. And noticed immediately how the n y papers don't even track Syracuse like the other local teams and we are the biggest Marqui team in area typically. There seams to be an underlying conspiracy to ignore us

The NYC papers don't track SU because we are not local to the City, despite what Dr. Gross thought. Jersey covers Rutgers and Seton Hall because they are local schools. I don't see any slight here.

Not extensively covered by NYC media doesn't seem to be "Disrespect".

Papers cover who they think locals are interested in in order to build declining readership.

If they thought greater coverage of SU would do that, they'd be all over it.

I'm a life long NYer. Have lived and raised a family in NYC (Manhattan) since graduating SU in the late 70s. Have been following the Orange since attending football games at crumbling old Archibald, basketball at Manley Field House and our mascot was the Saltine Warrior. While I am a dedicated Cuse fan, your typical NYer thinks Syracuse is on another planet. Syracuse sports does not sell papers or ad time for local TV stations which means no coverage. Hard for Syracuse sports to compete with Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders etc, etc.
In other words, it is not disrespect, it is disinterest related to a crowded sports market and even more so geographic irrelevance- too far away and NYC is not a small or mid-size college town.

NYC is a pro sports town. The closest P-5 school is Rutgers, followed by Boston College. And the Boston media don't really cover BC. The only cities in the Northeast that can be called a college sports town are Syracuse and Hartford. The NY media covered us plenty when we played in BETs at MSG ... but that (the BET) was a NYC sports story... and the only college sports story in NYC

Last edited:
I don't think we're direspected by the papers. As noted above, they don't have beat reporters way up in the Cuse.

You could argue that when we do play in Nyc maybe we are occasionally slighted in coverage compared to other teams in the region. Everytime I've been to MSG, our fans dwarf the other teams even when we play schools that are geographically closer. But I don't get those papers so I wouldn't know. All I know is that we bring it. Dr. Gross was not incorrect.

Maybe zagsblog could have a bit less Kentucky coverage and more Syracuse. That would be nice. But that goes for espn, et al..

Besides, Syracuse basketball is legendary in Nyc. It's synonymous with MSG and the Big East tournament. From pearl to gmac to 6ots, etc, etc etc. The young kids don't know but basketball fans and reporters do.

You might be posting too hard.

Winning cures all doubts. Methinks you "chicken-little" too much. JMHO
upload_2016-10-22_0-51-24.jpeg

upload_2016-10-22_0-51-39.jpeg

images

images

Maybe I'm just be anal but I don't understand why the post and Daily news even exclude Syracuse from the sports page menu of games being played today. We are not shown in either as playing Momouth and were also excluded when we played Holy Cross that day. I'm a 80 SU grad and just returned to jersey after being in Ca 30 years. It just seems like the media avoids us at all costs. Am I wrong?

GooseMutt said:
Maybe I'm just be anal but I don't understand why the post and Daily news even exclude Syracuse from the sports page menu of games being played today. We are not shown in either as playing Momouth and were also excluded when we played Holy Cross that day. I'm a 80 SU grad and just returned to jersey after being in Ca 30 years. It just seems like the media avoids us at all costs. Am I wrong?

Wait, so you're saying you lived in CA for 30 years and recently moved to Jersey? Did you kill someone in Cali?

College Park, MD is closer to NYC than SU. At some level we're just too far away.

Yes you are. Very wrong.

I just googled the Daily news and immediately found this article heading their "NCAA Sports News" written just yesterday. Hmm.

Jim Boeheim: Pearl Washington will be on my mind in Brooklyn