With so many grads working NY area - How the heck are we so dis-respected | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With so many grads working NY area - How the heck are we so dis-respected

Is it like when your dad coaches you and goes out of his way to bust your butt harder as to not show favoritism.

Short story time.

Setup: Little League (minors, ages like 6 to 9 or whatever). Game between two best teams in the league. Bottom of the 7th (last inning), 2 outs, 2 runners on base, count is full, my team's down 1 run, I'm up to bat, my dad's the ump (from behind the pitcher's mound).

I was having a pretty good game and already had a few hits off of this pitcher so I was feeling confident I could knock in the tying or winning run. Pitch comes in at least a full foot above my eyes. When I say at least a full foot, I'm being generous to my dad; this thing wasn't even close... He calls strike 3; game over, my team loses. It was such a bad call, you could here groans from parents in both teams' bleachers. I've never let him live it down and neither has anybody else haha, including a good friend of his who was our head coach.

His explanation was that he wanted to see me hit, not get a walk, and he didn't want to show favoritism.

Last edited by a moderator:
College Park, MD is closer to NYC than SU. At some level we're just too far away.

Yes, that's correct. The Fairness Doctrine caught the silver bullet in 1987. ;) Media today is about selling advertising, so if we're not their target market or in their target area ...

It's too bad NCAA took away JB wins. Getting 1000 win with all the TV coverage would have helped with recruiting. Maybe that was the plan.

... when we do something noteworthy then we get attention.
That's the answer.
SU is not a NYC area home team.
Simple as that.
And where I work it seems half the people are alumni...including the sports producer and one of the sportscasters.

Seriously, you would think that if anything there would be a slant in our favor. Is it like when your dad coaches you and goes out of his way to bust your butt harder as to not show favoritism. Is it a bad taste in media mouth due to irritable Coach B at press conferences. Why do people hate us. Where is Orange pride in the media. Perplexed
The journalistic creed to be scrupulously fair when reporting about things that you have a stake in. Like your alma mater.

But some people take the creed too far. Perhaps they were lambasted by coach B as a DO reporter or radio intern, and hold a very BIASED grudge.

I graduated from Syracuse in 1980. So I'm not bitter about not getting in. In fact I was at the Georgetown game in Manley field house when Thompson declared it officially closed (maddening!) lived in Skytop and loved my time there. What I guess I'm referring to is I grew up in Jersey moved to San Francisco in 83. Came back her in 2015 to care for family. And noticed immediately how the n y papers don't even track Syracuse like the other local teams and we are the biggest Marqui team in area typically. There seams to be an underlying conspiracy to ignore us
THAT may be due to the shrinking news page, not anti SU per se.

The NY Daily News discontinued movie reviews about 6 months ago and some friends were PEED OFF. That's just life in the digital era.