With Wright back in mix and Willimas offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With Wright back in mix and Willimas offered

100% correct. People completely underestimate the effect of the sanctions. Sure we have had some hits and misses, however those hits and misses are accentuated when you are short scholarships you can't afford to miss. It will take two or 3 recruiting cycles to get back to normal. This recruiting class and next are key (adding programs guys and some big time talent in 2018)

Cuse!

Every time I hear the argument that the sanctions has had a far greater effect on our current status, I feel like an idiot and need someone to explain it to me like I'm a 2 year old. I Just can't get into my thick head the sanctions being greater than not hitting on Joseph, Patterson, BJ, Chino, Howard and the like...not to mention Bryant, etc.

And that is where the sanctions have hit us the hardest. On May 31, that changes.

What happens on May 31? Do we get to have 3 coaches recruiting again? Do we get an additional scholarship?

I think JB said or at least hinted that the coaching switch was hurting recruiting. We're kicking that can down the road, but it stands to reason that removing the coaching switch from the equation would help recruiting in the short term.
Maybe, but the HCIW who apparently wasn't the HCIW not being on the road was likely as big a factor.

What happens on May 31? Do we get to have 3 coaches recruiting again? Do we get an additional scholarship?
more coaches back on the road.

How about this: It's not just sanctions. It's not just effort. It's both. Plus Hopkins-related uncertainty. In varying degrees and combinations, depending on the particular recruit.

Patterson/Johnson leaving is why we are in a roster crunch and that was SU's own decision so they could start the sanctions a year earlier.
Diagne was the 3rd guy we lost but that was the clearing house.
Patterson leaving was a plus.

is it possible that some players did not want to play for Hopkins?

Ok...we really have to stop recruiting guys named "Wright" and "Williams"

DeShaun Williams
Eric Williams
Mike Williams
Sean Williams
Josh Wright
Dayshawn Wright

Ouch.

plus the kid from Fowler - Steve Wright?

Only guy who really worked out was Bug Williams...

DeShaun Williams
Eric Williams
Mike Williams
Sean Williams
Josh Wright
Dayshawn Wright

Ouch.

Or...we should be recruiting more guys named Bug.

DeShaun Williams
Eric Williams
Mike Williams
Sean Williams
Josh Wright
Dayshawn Wright

Ouch.

haha - then there is MCW? My conclusion is you need the three names if you are going with the Williams/Wright last name

haha - then there is MCW? My conclusion is you need the three names if you are going with the Williams/Wright last name

Oh man, hit me with a tire iron and ban me for 6 mos...how could I forget about MCW??? ('cause I call him MCW and not Michael Carter-Williams)..

You may be onto something...

Only recruit guys with three names...

Everyone makes recruiting out to be so complicated yet it is so simple...

Maybe Hop is actually recruiting Julia-Louis Dreyfus...got confused by the purple and thought that Washington was Northwestern?

How much do you want to bet that Northwestern's NCAA tourney game was the FIRST Northwestern hoops game that she ever attended?

How about this: It's not just sanctions. It's not just effort. It's both. Plus Hopkins-related uncertainty. In varying degrees and combinations, depending on the particular recruit.

You are on the right path and I'll take it a step further. Our current roster problems are the result of a confluence of factors. Anyone that tries to the attribute it to any one thing is missing the bigger picture. There are a number of negatives working against SU at the moment and over the last couple of seasons as it tries to build its rosters:

1. Sanctions
a. reduced scholarships meaning fewer players on the roster fewer players waiting in the wings to make up for recruits that don't pan out, guys that leave early and injuries
b. restrictions on the staff's ability to get out and see guys.
2. Players Leaving Early unexpectedly
3. JB electing to allow the sanctions to marginalize his role in active recruiting and leaving the heavy lifting to his assistants instead of making the decision that because of the sanctions he should dive back in actively (when we were limited to two recruiters, it could just have easily been JB and Hop rather than Red and GMAC)
4. Uncertainty about the coaching transition
5. Poor strategic decisions in recruiting - the "all our eggs in one basket" problem - putting GMAC on the road against guys like Calipari rather than pulling out our big guns when the opponent pulls out its big gun.
6. Inexplicably seemingly backing away from some pretty talented guys
7. JB and Hop being distracted/disengaged - USA Basketball, looking for other jobs, planning retirement whatever
8. Uncertainty around the NCAA investigation and any potential effect on the program (this is gone now)
9. Wasted roster spots DCII, Chuckwu (so far), Buss, Chino - wasted in that we didn't have quality in the pipeline when guys we relied on left
10. Talent evaluation misses both guys we took and guys we passed on.

In any event, there is a lot going on; it's not as simple as any one thing.

The two prime recruits from last year have gone pro. The two top kids from this year also will. Recruiting hasn't been this disaster that people keep saying.

absolutely agree.

No. it's about sanctions. They have killed us. there are issues I have with the effort but the bottom line is sanctions. They had the effect the NCAA wanted.
Sanctions hurt depth, but some of our other issues are self-inflicted.

Sanctions did not require GMac to be the lead on numerous higher end players, especially Quade. It's fine to have Gmac recruiting, but he has basically been the lead on a number of players over the past year or two. We could've used more Hop and JB visibility.

Sanctions did not leave us without a PG for YEARS now.

Sanctions did not impact who to target and which positions to basically avoid.

Sanctions have hurt depth, though that can be debated based on having open roster spots. They probably cost us a Huerter.

While I agree that sanctions had an impact, I would say that we never adjusted enough to make up for them. It was certainly possible to avoid some of our current issues.

Sanctions hurt depth, but some of our other issues are self-inflicted.

Sanctions did not require GMac to be the lead on numerous higher end players, especially Quade. It's fine to have Gmac recruiting, but he has basically been the lead on a number of players over the past year or two. We could've used more Hop and JB visibility.

Sanctions did not leave us without a PG for YEARS now.

Sanctions did not impact who to target and which positions to basically avoid.

Sanctions have hurt depth, though that can be debated based on having open roster spots. They probably cost us a Huerter.

While I agree that sanctions had an impact, I would say that we never adjusted enough to make up for them. It was certainly possible to avoid some of our current issues.
This is stuff I disagree with Dasher's POV from.
Sanctions hurt but we have been outworked as well just listening to the Francis stuff.
Sanctions reduced 2 coaches well for JB that was probably okay for him as he hasn't been going out anyway. Autry and Hopkins should have been the two on the road.
GMac has not been up to the tasks he has been given.

Also JB has screwed up depth. With Kaleb Joseph we should have brought in another PG for depth. Instead we put it all on him. We had scholarships to use and we just didn't use them. Those inactions are part of our problem right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom