Without Hop | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Without Hop

IMO, you don’t WANT all your assistants being vocal during games. Too many voices.

I can understand that if he was talking to the big men when he coaches the guards.....correct me if Im wrong but the three assistants overlook a portion of the team, I would think that position coach would help his group throughout the game...

I can understand that if he was talking to the big men when he coaches the guards...correct me if Im wrong but the three assistants overlook a portion of the team, I would think that position coach would help his group throughout the game...
They will do it some there but more likely when the player is on the bench.

Oh come on.

The reason they got smoked in NYC has absolutely nothing to do with JBs age.

Absolutely NOTHING.

They lost because when JB put them in position to be successful, they missed shots and/or failed to hustle on D.

These stiffs need to realize they’re stiffs, stop reading their press and realize how hard they worked in the tourney last year.

They can’t just show up and win.

Because they’re stiffs.

There’s talent in there, but they have to want it to come out too.
yes

Yes. Ideally, you want your assistants reading the syracusefan.com game thread in real time and discreetly passing along coaching nuggets to JB.

Lol. The 2018 basketball version of diagramming plays on sbarros pizza boxes and putting them in front of the Window of the SU football coaches box for George DeLeone’s benefit as some SU fans were known to do back in the day.

Whenever you lose a long time assistant as good as Hop it is going to have a negative effect but the idea that it has anything to do with our problems is not accurate in my opinion. The biggest thing is that Hop was the good guy cheering you up after Boeheim tells you all the things you are doing wrong. It was a good relationship. It's best to have assistants that are not overly vocal on the bench in my opinion. You need the one voice of the head coach during games. The entire game plan and scout is done before hand with the coaching staff it's not as if the assistants don't have input into the game plan.

I find it amusing that people think Hop is the reason we aren't winning. How ironic. He used to be the guy that went 4-5 during Boeheim's suspension and had no head coach experience and should not be given the keys. To go from that to his absence being the root of all our problems. Quite a change.

I find it amusing that people think Hop is the reason we aren't winning. How ironic. He used to be the guy that went 4-5 during Boeheim's suspension and had no head coach experience and should not be given the keys. To go from that to his absence being the root of all our problems. Quite a change.
Agree, the person who started the post is the flavor of the day poster. People wanted Hop's head on a platter when JB was suspended but now he is the reason we are not winning.

Without Hop(e)

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
imagine being able to switch defenses
man or zone as needs apply ?
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And
the world will be as one

Last edited:
Agree, the person who started the post is the flavor of the day poster. People wanted Hop's head on a platter when JB was suspended but now he is the reason we are not winning.

People seem to forget this.

People seem to forget this.
I don't think people realize how deep it cut him too. I don't claim to know him well but I have met him 3 or 4 times since he was out here and brought this up. I said it was complete crap the way people treated you during those 9 games. He said, "Coach was coming back. It wasn't my team. I had to do what I thought coach would want me to do." I could tell looking at his face it really hurt him.

I've about lost the will to live . . . it almost seems like 'end of days' is at hand. The basketball team loses ugly Thursday and Friday, the football team gets wiped out Saturday, Eric Dungey may have played his last game, and then Monday and Tuesday my portfolio gets kneed in the nads. Thank god the Jets had Sunday off.

Oh come on.

The reason they got smoked in NYC has absolutely nothing to do with JBs age.

Absolutely NOTHING.

They lost because when JB put them in position to be successful, they missed shots and/or failed to hustle on D.

These stiffs need to realize they’re stiffs, stop reading their press and realize how hard they worked in the tourney last year.

They can’t just show up and win.

Because they’re stiffs.

There’s talent in there, but they have to want it to come out too.

I’m not dis agreeing with any of it. Just raising the question that perhaps Jim is slowing down and is not on top of his game anymore. It happens to everyone. To think he’s infallible is foolish. Everyone bears responsibility for this losing streak.I am just raising an issue that i think could play a small part.

Bench, locker room, practice, etc.

I don’t think it’s fair at all to judge an assistant based on how vocal they appear on the bench when the TV cameras show them.
We used to be the only team that alternated coaches and players on the bench. Now all the coaches sit together and then all the players. I thought the alternating was great and couldn't understand why more teams didn't do that as well.

I’m not dis agreeing with any of it. Just raising the question that perhaps Jim is slowing down and is not on top of his game anymore. It happens to everyone. To think he’s infallible is foolish. Everyone bears responsibility for this losing streak.I am just raising an issue that i think could play a small part.
You are asking a question that has an implication behind it. It would be like me saying does elimunelson hit his wife. Then when you say how dare you. Me saying I was just asking the question.

In the S.U./UConn game, was the quality of play of the Huskies players in any way influenced by the in-game coaching of coach Hurley?

In the S.U./UConn game, was the quality of play of the Huskies players in any way influenced by the in-game coaching of coach Hurley?
UConn played with more effort. But at the end of the day UConn went 12/21 from 3 vs us. In their 2 games since then (Iowa and Cornell) they went a combined 10/45.

I think that had something to do with it.

Just a horrible OP. JB may be old and Hop is a good up and coming coach but JB would be fine with 3 nit wits from this forum as his assistants. Slow start for sure but lets see when Frank get back and see how things look after that.

Game has not passed him by, I think sometimes people don't listen to JB. He knows what happened in a Sacramento/ Golden St game from 12 am the night before. He's still a junky wouldn't be coaching if he wasn't. Yes, he going to run the 2-3 but that's his identity. We need to shoot the 3 better and play better D and he will coach them up as the season goes along. Geeze, talk about no faith.

Just a horrible OP. JB may be old and Hop is a good up and coming coach but JB would be fine with 3 nit wits from this forum as his assistants. Slow start for sure but lets see when Frank get back and see how things look after that.

Game has not passed him by, I think sometimes people don't listen to JB. He knows what happened in a Sacramento/ Golden St game from 12 am the night before. He's still a junky wouldn't be coaching if he wasn't. Yes, he going to run the 2-3 but that's his identity. We need to shoot the 3 better and play better D and he will coach them up as the season goes along. Geeze, talk about no faith.
I agree with everything except for that JB would be fine with 3 of us as his assts. I think you are extremely minimizing our assistant coaches contributions to the program during games, practices and recruiting. Plus the everyday things they do to keep the players heads on straight.

I don't think people realize how deep it cut him too. I don't claim to know him well but I have met him 3 or 4 times since he was out here and brought this up. I said it was complete crap the way people treated you during those 9 games. He said, "Coach was coming back. It wasn't my team. I had to do what I thought coach would want me to do." I could tell looking at his face it really hurt him.

Interesting. So, Hop who learned everything from JB implied that what JB wanted him to do went against his grain in what he would've done if it was "his" team? He seems to be doing many/most of the same JB tendencies at UW. Him not claiming any ownership in the way we played those 9 games, to a degree, is a cop out in my opinion.

Perception is reality, whether right or wrong. And, with having absolutely zero head coaching experience, instead of shining, it appeared as he was just going through the motions. Moreover, the team played that way. Interestingly enough, when JB returned, the team suddenly played much better, all the while JB was doing the same thing he informed Hop to do.

Again, right or wrong, perceptually it didn't look good. And, without any head coaching experience, the team played poorly and uninspired. That debacle in the Garden against a pathetic St. John's team had a damning impact as we got crushed. Afterwards, St. John's went on to lose against a team called Incarnate World for Pete's sake, and a slew of other bad losses as well.

I didn't hammer Hop, but if I'm being completely transparent, I certainly had concerns and questions after the only cross sample we ever had of him in that role at the time.

He had a great rookie season at UW, we'll see how it plays out over the next few years and a larger sample size can be drawn. One thing he clearly has in his favor, is that the P12 is a pretty weak conference overall.

Last edited:
You are asking a question that has an implication behind it. It would be like me saying does elimunelson hit his wife. Then when you say how dare you. Me saying I was just asking the question.

Well isn't that what we do on message boards? I'm just blindly speculating as everyone else is here unless u guys are at practice and can see how they are vs when Hopkins was around. All I know is effort was lacking. A coach can fix that with playing time for those he doesn't deem to be working as hard.

I can change the question to my opinion if that feels more authentic. I think Boeheim is getting old and everyone who gets old shows old age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom