Without Lydon how do we get to 60 PPG next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Without Lydon how do we get to 60 PPG next year?

Cue Syracuse's Kemba seaso

I think we see Battle make a significant improvement from freshman to sophomore year. He has the skills to get to the rim and score 24 a game and if he can get others involved by drawing double teams and pass more out of the dribble drive we could be pretty decent.

Also Taurean will need to learn how to not get in foul trouble early and the combo of Taurean and Tyus could be worth 40+ a game.

We need a legit 3 point threat to play Cooney ball and run laps while Battle does his dribble drive and finds him in the corner.

See my post in the other thread and respond to that.

EDIT - I brought it here for you.
Thank you. Fair post, although I don't completely agree.

Sure, Lydon exceeded our expectations as a freshman because we didn't expect him to be a two-and-done NBA first-round talent. And that's exactly what he was. So it was not "nearly impossible" for him to match that level in his second year. You expect those type of players to be able to carry teams but Lydon could never do so in his two seasons. Despite his incredible talent and potential he was never able to fully put it all together.

And I understand not having a true point guard hurt in this regard. But it's unfair to Gillon to place so much blame on him. Lydon passed up countless open shots throughout this season, he wasn't always aggressive, missed bunnies instead of dunking, etc. On one possession he would aggressively drive to the basket and posterize a defender by slamming it home. The very next possession he would lack confidence and be passive, pump fake two or three times and turn the ball over.

I'll always appreciate Lydon for his contributions to the Final Four team. But overall I'll look back on his career as a missed opportunity for the program for many reasons aside from what he could control on his own.

We had a miserable year this year and went 10-8 in the ACC. But it's "not too far fetched" that we might not win a game for the next two years.

Awesome analysis.

This year's team will look like the 96 bulls in comparison to the team we could have next year.

Our season, until we land someone else, hinges on the junior year of Franklin Howard.
giphy.gif

Blueprint for 66/game average

Tyus Battle 20
Taurean Thompson 14
Frank Howard 8
Moyer 8
Sidibe/Washington/Brissett 6
Random Grad Transfer 3 PT shooter 10

Who are the grad transfer Cooney mold 3PT shooters who can also handle the ball?

I seriously question JB right now. He with a straight face is saying we have a good roster and is pointing to 2002 and 2003.
This is crazy.

We don't have guards. We have 3 guards on scholarship right now. 3 total.

We played the first half of 2003 with 3 guards, and that's including Duany who wasn't a ballhandler at all.

I think we'll get another guard too, no question. I'm more worried about quality than quantity right now. Of the 3 we have, 1 is Howard and 1 is a freshman who nobody is expecting to be a player immediately.

Ever hear John Wallace speak about playing with Z Sims?

Take everything he said and make it the opposite and you'd get the PG play that Lydon had. Lydon is not a creator. That's not in his skillset.

Or for a current team, look at UCLA and how Ball gets that ball to the right guys at the right times, in rhythm. His pace and style give that team so much confidence. Lydon didn't play with a real PG in either of his college seasons, or even with any players, let
alone guards that were strong passers.
Fair enough. Ball is a once in a generation PG talent, imo. So that's an unfair comparison.

And I don't think lack of a quality point guard (Gillon wasn't all that terrible, btw) excuses Lydon's hesitancy and lack of urgency throughout the season.

Blueprint for 66/game average

Tyus Battle 20
Taurean Thompson 14
Frank Howard 8
Moyer 8
Sidibe/Washington/Brissett 6
Random Grad Transfer 3 PT shooter 10

Who are the grad transfer Cooney mold 3PT shooters who can also handle the ball?

Battle averaging 20 with everyone keying to stop him, I would like to see how that is going to happen.

Fair enough. Ball is a once in a generation PG talent, imo. So that's an unfair comparison.

And I don't think lack of a quality point guard (Gillon wasn't all that terrible, btw) excuses Lydon's hesitancy and lack of urgency throughout the season.

I know, but just an example of how a PG who sees the court and passes and puts the ball where it needs to be helps everybody. Ball is exceptional at it. Sims was far from that level of a player but he was excellent at moving the ball, getting it to the right guys, etc.

Gillon was a pretty decent player but this aspect of his game was very weak. And we had nobody else. It certainly affects a guy like Lydon who needs the ball in certain spots to be effective. His "hesitancy" was in bombing 3s. But he's also not a guy with a quick release, and he needs to be really set and square to hit them. I just don't feel like this "lack of urgency" is a real thing either. The guy played hard. He's not a Kobe Bryant, give me the ball and get the f out of my way guy. He doesn't have those skills.

You sound like a petulant child. How about you offer something aside from insults?

Agreed, a talented shooter who was afraid to shoot. The only logical explanations are the two that you offered. I would side with the idea that he lacks confidence in himself.

I do not see the killer instinct with Lydon, or the physicality needed to be an effective player in the NBA.

Roster right now
PG- Frank Howard, Howard Washington
SG- Tyus Battle
SF- Matt Moyer, O'Shae Brissett
PF- Taureen Thompson, Bourama Sidibe
C- Paschal Chukwu
That is 8 scholarships. JB has 3 scholarships to use and that is after Lydon leaving.

Look at the roster. What are the odds JB can bring in 3 usable bodies for next year?
I see two scoring options right now in JB's easy to defend offense.
I have to think that we are going to be more active that anyone can believe to fill up this roster. As it is right now, we will suck. At this time last year, we didn't have white or Gillon.

I seriously question JB right now. He with a straight face is saying we have a good roster and is pointing to 2002 and 2003.
This is crazy.

We don't have guards. We have 3 guards on scholarship right now. 3 total.
He might know things we don't know.

We need two very good grad transfers again. Without that, we'll have our worst team of the JB era.

PG and SF look like absolute craters right now. 3 point and free throw shooting again becomes a major deficiency.

Gonna be interesting to see if we can fill those holes are better than we did this past year. We're going to have to just to be competitive for a bid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom