Without Lydon how do we get to 60 PPG next year? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Without Lydon how do we get to 60 PPG next year?

I can't wait to hear this a billion times next year:

"Syracuse has a bunch of new faces on defense and this zone defense takes time to learn!"
It will be true, though. As frustrating as it may be to hear.

At the same time that doesn't mean it has to be as bad as it was this season.

It will be true, though. As frustrating as it may be to hear.

At the same time that doesn't mean it has to be as bad as it was this season.

The upside is Frank and Battle returning means we have a decent top of the zone. Thompson, man, I really hope he figures out the zone at some point. Was Moyer able to practice this year at all? That might be good. The rest is a crap shoot I guess.

Battle =18 ppg
Thompson = 16 ppg
Howard = 10 ppg
Moyer = 7 ppg
Chukwu = 4 ppg
Bench = 5 ppg

Pretty simple!

It is so easy for people to judge this team way before they even practice. And so often, they are wrong. Last year at this time, the they considered the team dead. Absolutely dead. By Sept, they were proclaiming it a FF team. 10 deep. No question. (Then JB made the mistake and validated that.) By Jan 2, everybody said the team was going to have a losing season, maybe even winless in the ACC. Then by March 5, everybody was thinking NCAA. Oh how wrong. In 12 months, 4 major swings. So go ahead and make you predictions. Odds are at some point you'll be right. But then as a friend of mine likes to say, even a blind squirrel finds a sometimes.

At least we have a typical looking Syracuse team getting off the bus. We should be better defensively and on the boards.

At least we have a typical looking Syracuse team getting off the bus. We should be better defensively and on the boards.

Can Thompson rebound? He certainly didn't this year. I think Moyer can be a good rebounder.

Last edited:
I can't wait to hear this a billion times next year:

"Syracuse has a bunch of new faces on defense and this zone defense takes time to learn!"
Is that as bad as the billions of next season is ruined, our roster is terrible, it's a sinking ship posts, that in no way factor in who the new assistant is going to be, who the additional players we'll add are, etc.?

too much doom and gloom. We have a Hall of Fame coach with a great track record and a core of talented, athletic players even before he brings anyone else in.
3 guard rotation Howard/Battle/Washington
3 forward rotation Thompson/Moyer/Brisset
2 center rotation Chukwu/Sidibe
Boeheim has won plenty with less than that.
so just for the heck of it, my way-to-early 2017-18 Iggy choices:

1) Regular season record. 25-6
2) ACC season record. 13-5
3) ACC Tournament record. 3-0
4) Post-season record NCAA 6-0
5) Leading scorer and how many points per game Thompson 17.7 barely nudges out Battle
6) Leading rebounder Thompson 8.9
7) Player with most minutes per game and how many. Battle 37.2
8) TIEBREAKER-Leader in 3 pointers made and how many Battle 75

Thompson and Battle both make All ACC and declare for the draft.
then lather, rinse, repeat

Last edited:
too much doom and gloom. We have a Hall of Fame coach with a great track record and a core of talented, athletic players even before he brings anyone else in.

5) Leading scorer and how many points per game Thompson 17.7 barely nudges out Battle

I envy your optimism

That is one of the worst rosters JB's ever had, especially at PG and SF. If we go 25-6 in the regular season, it'll be because we add 2-3 starting caliber players in the coming months.

I don't mind optimism. I lean that way myself but I just want to have a winning season with the current roster, let alone 25-6. That being said, this won't be the final roster when October rolls around.

The upside is Frank and Battle returning means we have a decent top of the zone. Thompson, man, I really hope he figures out the zone at some point. Was Moyer able to practice this year at all? That might be good. The rest is a crap shoot I guess.

Frank is pretty tall but he's not a good defender. He's lazy up there and doesn't move well. Moyer practiced all year.

Roster right now
PG- Frank Howard, Howard Washington
SG- Tyus Battle
SF- Matt Moyer, O'Shae Brissett
PF- Taureen Thompson, Bourama Sidibe
C- Paschal Chukwu
That is 8 scholarships. JB has 3 scholarships to use and that is after Lydon leaving.

Look at the roster. What are the odds JB can bring in 3 usable bodies for next year?
I see two scoring options right now in JB's easy to defend offense.
I think the starting lineup as of right now would look like this:
PG-Howard
SG-Tyus
SF-Oshae
PF-Moyer
C-Thompson
We will absolutely bring in another player or 2 and we will bring in a scorer to go along with Tyus and Thompson. Tyus is going to be an absolute nightmare for opponents, we goes everything very well. Thompson has a great offensive game for a big man at his stage, needs to work on D. Lastly, think Howard takes a step up if he stays, if he can just give us 8 PPG and 5 APG we should be fine. I think most people are underestimating Moyer and Brissett on the wings, these are prototypical Syracuse wings and both can rebound the hell out of the ball. Think Osage will score more than people think as well. I expect around 10 PPG from him.

Frank is pretty tall but he's not a good defender. He's lazy up there and doesn't move well. Moyer practiced all year.
JB said he was our best defensive player last game...

Remember in the movie Coach Carter, when Samuel L. is holding tryouts, and he says something some guys don't like, and so they leave, and Rob Brown/Ernie Davis says "those were our leading scorers last year," and then Samuel L. says "I guess we'll have new leading scorers this season," and it turns out he was right, and Rob Brown becomes one of those leading scorers, and also scores off the court because he dates Ashanti?

Remember that?

I think getting to 60 points will be like that

This year Battle averaged 11.3 in 30 minutes. He'll average closer to 40 minutes and be better, so 15-18 points from him seems reasonable. TT averaged 9.2 in 18 minutes, so 15 in 30-33 minutes is reasonable. So call it 17 for Battle and 15 for Thompson and those two get you to 32. Your question is, how do you get to 28 from everyone else. You're essentially counting on five guys to average about six points per game.

That'll happen for whoever gets the minutes and shots. You lose 42 points per game from White, Lydon and Gillon... But you also gain 30 shots per game. Frank Howard averaged a little over a point per shot, so even if everyone is as efficient offensively as he was this year, you STILL get the 28 to get you over 60. This year's team in conference play scored 76 points per game and gave up 75 points per game, overall it was 76 and 71. Next year, they'll score less but the defense should also be better. So maybe they score 65 points per game and give up 62 or 63. That can work.

Remember in the movie Coach Carter, when Samuel L. is holding tryouts, and he says something some guys don't like, and so they leave, and Rob Brown/Ernie Davis says "those were our leading scorers last year," and then Samuel L. says "I guess we'll have new leading scorers this season," and it turns out he was right, and Rob Brown becomes one of those leading scorers, and also scores off the court because he dates Ashanti?

Remember that?

I think getting to 60 points will be like that
So, you think Autry's son starts at PG? ;)

Roster right now
PG- Frank Howard, Howard Washington
SG- Tyus Battle
SF- Matt Moyer, O'Shae Brissett
PF- Taureen Thompson, Bourama Sidibe
C- Paschal Chukwu
That is 8 scholarships. JB has 3 scholarships to use and that is after Lydon leaving.

Look at the roster. What are the odds JB can bring in 3 usable bodies for next year?
I see two scoring options right now in JB's easy to defend offense.

That looks like a Seton Hall or Providence roster from later days of the Big East.

Now we need a 5th year grad transfer Center also. Need to fill 3 starting spots with grad transfers. Yikes.

We need 4 players - a point guard, two wing scorers and a big man who can defend the post.
I'd like to see us get a JUCO big man, like Ongenaet sort of was or Diange turned into, so we can get 2 years out of him.

The PG can be a 5th year guy again, but I think to play the forward of the zone for a 5th year transfer will be hard for most guys (if we learned anything from this year ...). I could see a guard at the top of the zone who is a 5th year easier than I could see somebody really mastering the forward positions - we come so high up on defense, then have to guard corner jumpers, and be able to cut off weak side rebounders at the short corner. We ask an awful lot from our forwards in this defense.

So maybe we can go hunt another 5th year transfer who shot 40% from three for a mid-major. Maybe we can find another 5th year PG. But give me a forward and a big man who will be here for a couple years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom