Won’t be the most athletic team, but high IQ | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Won’t be the most athletic team, but high IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to say Hop wouldn’t have let Kadary go or wouldn’t have been in this position b/c he would have moved to start him during the season or told him he’d start next year? Ugh.
Hop isn't really managing his roter at UW all that well.

No defense no rebounding and no inside game this team better not have any off shooting nights

No defense no rebounding and no inside game this team better not have any off shooting nights

It's a shame probably 5-6 wins max I am sure. I will take your tickets off of you to spare you the pain.

Buddy isn’t a high IQ player?
not really. its hard to be high IQ when you are atheltically limited.

Can't count how many times on Defense I waited for the player just off the screen to zoom in and get the steal off of the press or trap...and it was buddy there either standing or trying but not quick enough to get there...when a typical SU player would always get that steal. HAPPENS A LOT! He also gets his hand on the ball...but only just enough to not get the steal and then since he committed the other team ends up scoring easily...th UVA loss and houston losses had a few sequences that were really bad by him.

Plus on offense the other team KNOWS WHAT HE's GOING TO DO...most couldnt stop it anyway at the end of the season...but the Houstons or Baylors of the world can. He either backs you down very slow and shoots a tough 2 or hits a wide open 3.

This season is going to be interesting...teams will have him scouted and take him out of games more often, imo. he's gotta have a counter when they do that...

He's high IQ considering what he is capable of and that he can maximize what he has...but overall, no. passing wise he is super conservative and never wows...its like the game is very fast for him but he compensates by just sticking to a few actions that he knws how to do well...but that to me cant mean high IQ.

A high IQ player wouldve burned Houston for double teaming him...but he couldnt he just kept jacking up impossible shots or throwing the ball away all game.

When he is hitting shots hes a big plus for the team despite the limitations...but when hes not hes a negative, imo.

Can't count how many times on Defense I waited for the player just off the screen to zoom in and get the steal off of the press or trap...and it was buddy there either standing or trying but not quick enough to get there...when a typical SU player would always get that steal. HAPPENS A LOT! He also gets his hand on the ball...but only just enough to not get the steal and then since he committed the other team ends up scoring easily...th UVA loss and houston losses had a few sequences that were really bad by him.

Plus on offense the other team KNOWS WHAT HE's GOING TO DO...most couldnt stop it anyway at the end of the season...but the Houstons or Baylors of the world can. He either backs you down very slow and shoots a tough 2 or hits a wide open 3.

This season is going to be interesting...teams will have him scouted and take him out of games more often, imo. he's gotta have a counter when they do that...

He's high IQ considering what he is capable of and that he can maximize what he has...but overall, no. passing wise he is super conservative and never wows...its like the game is very fast for him but he compensates by just sticking to a few actions that he knws how to do well...but that to me cant mean high IQ.
Buddy should watch Reggie Miller’s game.

Reggie became one of the best of alltime at using screens and moving without the ball.

As his game was predicated on getting clean looks.
He didn’t beat many players off dribbles but got a lot of screens.

Teams are going to face guard Buddy unless he develops like Doug McDermott and in college becomes able to beat some players off the dribble.

A high IQ player wouldve burned Houston for double teaming him...but he couldnt he just kept jacking up impossible shots or throwing the ball away all game.

When he is hitting shots hes a big plus for the team despite the limitations...but when hes not hes a negative, imo.
Grif or Bras or Marek or all three should have had big games against Houston but they all failed to do so. None of them stepped up.

Grif or Bras or Marek or all three should have had big games against Houston but they all failed to do so. None of them stepped up.
Our starting backcourt was 7-23 from the field and 3-14 from 3.

Our entire team was dead in the water offensively, that game. Houston put the clamps on us, the officiating allowed it, and our lack of guys who can go off the dribble or score in the post meant we had no shot.

Based on what things look like today- I gotta believe the staff might be thinking Woody and Frank come back. Their additions change the tone quite a bit with having no athleticism to help the defense. Also Woody has a handle and give him a summer and he can take collegiate opponents off the bounce while also being an outside threat. Frank, if he can get comfortable in the zone brings a major challenge to opponents. All he needs to do is be a Jeremy McNeil.

I also think the staff is probably higher ( whether with good cause or not) on Symir than most here. He played on and off big minutes for Marquette with low usage due to being behind or beside extremely high usage guys. He isn't in Kadary's league but he is strong, has a good handle and a good passer.

Adding another athletic guard doesn't necessarily make sense if you bring back Woody.

Beyond this you just have to hope Joe doesn't follow the Braxton Beverley trajectory and he comes back a better version of who he is. Also Jesse should be a target to go to. That will be important as well because without constant dribble penetration we need a place to go with the ball and play inside out.

It's essentially a different team altogether until someone else proves they can be a point forward. It's not doom and gloom yet.

If you want to think about it differently, it is very possible had Kadary had a bigger year as a starter that we could have made it a step further or on equal grounds a as better seed and Kadary puts his name in the draft vs the portal which would put us where we are anyways...

Or maybe if we had a balanced roster we could have scored against Houston.
Our teams have become jump shot dominated because we don’t have a PG(we did but he transferred) that can beat his defender off the dribble and force the defense to try and stop that.

Baylor got into the paint all game long and found open shooters against Houston.
We couldn’t get clean looks because Houston gave played hard tough nose defense and nobody could attack the paint.

Alan/Marek/Quincy did what they did all season. The problem is our roster was too 1 dimensional and Houston exposed that.

Our starting backcourt was 7-23 from the field and 3-14 from 3.

Our entire team was dead in the water offensively, that game. Houston put the clamps on us, the officiating allowed it, and our lack of guys who can go off the dribble or score in the post meant we had no shot.
Marek was given an open shot all game long and he wouldn't take it. That would have went a ways to break their defense down. He played scared.

Based on what things look like today- I gotta believe the staff might be thinking Woody and Frank come back. Their additions change the tone quite a bit with having no athleticism to help the defense. Also Woody has a handle and give him a summer and he can take collegiate opponents off the bounce while also being an outside threat. Frank, if he can get comfortable in the zone brings a major challenge to opponents. All he needs to do is be a Jeremy McNeil.

I also think the staff is probably higher ( whether with good cause or not) on Symir than most here. He played on and off big minutes for Marquette with low usage due to being behind or beside extremely high usage guys. He isn't in Kadary's league but he is strong, has a good handle and a good passer.

Adding another athletic guard doesn't necessarily make sense if you bring back Woody.

Beyond this you just have to hope Joe doesn't follow the Braxton Beverley trajectory and he comes back a better version of who he is. Also Jesse should be a target to go to. That will be important as well because without constant dribble penetration we need a place to go with the ball and play inside out.

It's essentially a different team altogether until someone else proves they can be a point forward. It's not doom and gloom yet.

If you want to think about it differently, it is very possible had Kadary had a bigger year as a starter that we could have made it a step further or on equal grounds a as better seed and Kadary puts his name in the draft vs the portal which would put us where we are anyways...
I hope Terrence is good then we have can have some optimism.

If the plan is to hope Joe gets better I am not optimistic. He is a SG we are forcing to play PG but our own choice.

Half court offense will be reliant on making tough shots or the opponent not giving effort on defense.

I hope Terrence is good then we have can have some optimism.

If the plan is to hope Joe gets better I am not optimistic. He is a SG we are forcing to play PG but our own choice.

Half court offense will be reliant on making tough shots or

I think you have to get an upgraded version of Joe's frosh year and a rich man's (and stronger) Howard Washington in Symir. To me you gotta have both of those.

Or maybe if we had a balanced roster we could have scored against Houston.
Our teams have become jump shot dominated because we don’t have a PG(we did but he transferred) that can beat his defender off the dribble and force the defense to try and stop that.

Baylor got into the paint all game long and found open shooters against Houston.
We couldn’t get clean looks because Houston gave played hard tough nose defense and nobody could attack the paint.

Alan/Marek/Quincy did what they did all season. The problem is our roster was too 1 dimensional and Houston exposed that.
Kick more guys on their way out the door.
He's not above being criticised. It was his last game, he should have taken those shots. Nobody hit the open looks they had and Buddy was being harassed and doubled all game.

I think you have to get an upgraded version of Joe's frosh year and a rich man's (and stronger) Howard Washington in Symir. To me you gotta have both of those.
Joe’s freshmen year wouldn’t be good enough for us to be what we want.

Joe is a SG playing “PG” he doesn’t initiate the half court offense well.
He doesn’t pass to the post, drive the ball well.
If Joe gets the ball in catch and shoot situations he is very effective.

We need somebody who can get to the rim, make open shots fairly well and can the pass.
Most of Joe’s assists are buddy making 3’s.

If we want to be really good we need good PG play.

Joe’s freshmen year wouldn’t be good enough for us to be what we want.

Joe is a SG playing “PG” he doesn’t initiate the half court offense well.
He doesn’t pass to the post, drive the ball well.
If Joe gets the ball in catch and shoot situations he is very effective.

We need somebody who can get to the rim, make open shots fairly well and can the pass.
Most of Joe’s assists are buddy making 3’s.

If we want to be really good we need good PG play.
Agreed. A better freshman Joe and a better Howard Washington, does not excite me whatsoever.

Put me in the group of wanting a John Gillon type grad transfer. Get a kid in here who is Syracuse starting PG level, get Joe in his correct role, and Symir gets to play for his hometown team and put in work to try to get in the mix in his 4th year.

If we had a Scoop Jardine with Buddy/Swider/Benny/Edwards lineup bench Girard/Jimmy/C that could compete for top 4 in the ACC and Final Four.

We need a PG.

And to me Symir is capable of being a Jardine type of PG ( I've made that reference a few other times with Symir) He isn't going to be more than that but if he works hard and buys in it's not unrealistic

Agreed. A better freshman Joe and a better Howard Washington, does not excite me whatsoever.

Put me in the group of wanting a John Gillon type grad transfer. Get a kid in here who is Syracuse starting PG level, get Joe in his correct role, and Symir gets to play for his hometown team and put in work to try to get in the mix in his 4th year.

If you bring in that type of guard that is in fact putting Joe likely on the bench the majority of the game. So in terms of reality..

Scoop Jardine was a better Howard Washington for all intensive purposes. Too much getting caught up on the name. It's about a PG who can drive it, control the game and occasionally knock down a few shots or floaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom