World Cup Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

World Cup Thread

Any recommendations for a recent cord cutter? I’ll drink and eat waaaaay too much if I keep on having to go out to watch. Plus, day drinking. Suspiciously has a way of turning into dinner beers.

A few services offer a free week: sling tv, YouTube tv, etc. They just need to offer fox sports

We've all fallen in love with Iceland over the last few years, but I still can't believe they are where they are today. To me, it feels like every game they play it's an 'okay, this is when they finally run out of luck' type of contest. Then they frustrate the heck out of the world's best player, have three or four excellent saves, and some how pull out a result while getting dominated in nearly every aspect of the game.

It's unbelievable!

Also - I have a feeling that VAR's "Your backhand hand on a sliding block is part of the body" unofficial rule for this WC is going to have a replacement referees' "Don't call offensive pass intereference on a Hail Mary"-type of impact on an important game.
I get razzed for saying this by the purists on our board but ...

It should be apparent to everyone that FIFA needs to change the rules. If they truly want to stop teams from “parking the bus”, they’re going to have to draw restraining lines like lacrosse has to open up the field by limiting the number of players on offense and defense. Ending offsides outside the penalty area would also help.

Watching these matches just highlight the US weaknesses.
Our players aren’t disciplined with the ball and look to long ball way too much.
The technical skill is where US soccer needs to develop more.
Our players have size and speed but man skill isn’t the same.

Instead of trying to develop MLS I wish we just cared about developing talent first.
I liked all the prospects who are fighting to go to Europe.

I get razzed for saying this by the purists on our board but ...

It should be apparent to everyone that FIFA needs to change the rules.
If they truly want to stop teams from “parking the bus”, they’re going to have to draw restraining lines like lacrosse has to open up the field by limiting the number of players on offense and defense. Ending offsides outside the penalty area would also help.

To be frank, isn't it obvious why you get razzed? I've never heard a serious fan of the game suggest such a drastic change. But every four years someone who's watched a couple World Cup games thinks they know how to 'fix' the world's most popular game and sporting competition. It's akin to the person at the Super Bowl party who never watches football but keeps saying stupid stuff like "this game would be so much better if you throw a forward pass from anywhere on the field."

To be frank, isn't it obvious why you get razzed? I've never heard a serious fan of the game suggest such a drastic change. But every four years someone who's watched a couple World Cup games thinks they know how to 'fix' the world's most popular game and sporting competition. It's akin to the person at the Super Bowl party who never watches football but keeps saying stupid stuff like "this game would be so much better if you throw a forward pass from anywhere on the field."
I do it all the time, not just during the World Cup and I’m not alone.

So you’re saying no one who follows soccer has any problems with “parking the bus” and if you do have a problem then you’re obviously not a true fan of the game. “Soccer is perfect right now. Not a single rule ever needs to be changed.” Well, the back-pass Rule was adopted in 1992, when, I’m sure, no one had a problem with back-passes. Maybe there are others in need of review. I know the rest of the world will declare an international day of mourning if we ever win, but maybe the increased viewer$hip could counterbalance that. If soccer ever hopes to be in the competition to replace American football once it’s banned over CTE, they’d better make it more appealing to American tastes or it won’t advance past its current niche.

So you’re saying no one who follows soccer has any problems with “parking the bus” and if you do have a problem then you’re obviously not a true fan of the game. “Soccer is perfect right now. Not a single rule ever needs to be changed.” Well, the back-pass Rule was adopted in 1992, when, I’m sure, no one had a problem with back-passes. Maybe there are others in need of review. I know the rest of the world will declare an international day of mourning if we ever win, but maybe the increased viewer$hip could counterbalance that. If soccer ever hopes to be in the competition to replace American football once it’s banned over CTE, they’d better make it more appealing to American tastes or it won’t advance past its current niche.

The backpass rule was adopted because it was abused in an international competition. That was a simple change to the game and the game was fundamentally the same, a time wasting technique was just completely eliminated. There are plenty of reasonable rule changes people could suggest. Add a fourth substitution in extra time? Fine. VAR and goal line technology? Great. Completely change the structure of the game so it is not fundamentally the same? Ridiculous. That's not soccer.

Why should the worlds most popular sport be changing rules to appease fans in the United States?

The NFL is not getting banned anytime soon. The NBA is going to take up any oxygen in the room given up by an NFL drop and the US inexplicably missing the World Cup probably set back soccer in this country a decade. That’s zero fault of some rules Americans find boring.

I don't know if I've ever seen Germany have so many seams in their defense before. They are really struggling with Mexico's diagonal movements.

Their back 4 looks putrid. Yes Mexico is playing well but it's actually pretty simple they are just pushing quickly on the counter. German middies aren't getting back at all. This is usually the game to get them if you can as Germany gets better every game historically. Right now very little creativity in the German middle too. Kroos Ozil and Khedira ages from the dexterity and creativity when Schweinsteiger was in the middle. At least in this first half.

Mexico is playing great and I’d love to see them hold on for the W.

Germany’s backline looks significantly slower than El Tri’s attack (except Chicharito who looks to have lost half a step from his prime)

Fantastic Father’s Day game to watch while my kids are my wife’s responsibility!!

Edit - Ochoa has been excellent in goal.

Mexico looks LEGIT

Can we claim their National team as a piece of Immigration Reform?
Mexico won u-17 World Cup in 2011 and 2012 Gold medal at the Olympic. They have elite young talent for the world stage.

They just always lose in the round of 16 at the WC.

Big thing for Mexico is the yellow cards. They will be putting themselves in a tough position to have enough come knockout time.

Well I was wrong on Mexico they are advancing out of this group no doubt.

Is Germany just too cool for the early rounds of the WC? How is it an 80/20 crowd split in favor of Mexico, when its being played in Russia?

Brazil might not want to win its group now.
If Mexico wins this group.
Then Brazil-Germany in round of 16 would be insane.

Is Germany just too cool for the early rounds of the WC? How is it an 80/20 crowd split in favor of Mexico, when its being played in Russia?
It wasn’t 80-20 that was the American announcer pumping up Mexico but they had more fans.
There were more Germans than 20% they were just quiet.

One thing I will say about Germany that benefits a concacaf opponent and even helped us when we played them in the friendly several years ago is that they are so well disciplined in how they space the field that it actually helps provide more space for their opponent as well. Concacaf is so congested at times and conmebol as well to a degree that the open field is like a dream with all that space to operate. It's a small thing and Mexico's speed had a lot to do with it but still it's definitely a positive matchup wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom