Worst shot I've seen all year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Worst shot I've seen all year

During the timeout they showed our bench and JB. The play being drawn up was for Judah to get it to Benny who then gets it to Jesse. They are the only two JB spoke too. They fronted Jesse and the pass wasn’t there for Benny to make. He then could have shot or pass to someone else. He passed it to Joe and Joe shot with just under 4 seconds on the shot clock. I guess he could have taken the shot clock violation. And there was nobody for him to pass too. Jesse was the closest 20 feet away at the 3 point line. The other 3 guys were on the other side of the court. But that was not the play drawn up. 100% was going to Jesse inside.

We gave the ball to Benny. He had a good game, but that was the mistake. He hasn't had the ball in those situations all year.
The mistake was Benny not driving for 2.

While the play call was probably to Jesse, Jesse - who as I was told is coached by the greatest big man coach in the history of Cuse - didn't know how to get open and Bennie gave Joe the chance instead.

Bennie should have just taken it to the rock and gone up strong.

We gave the ball to Benny. He had a good game, but that was the mistake. He hasn't had the ball in those situations all year.
This and with Boeheim’s work on him likely rattling around in his head, passed up the shot, chickens Come home to roost type stuff.

People's expectations for Joe to make a big shot in the clutch are zero.

But by all means, let's run him back.
Yeah but the play wasn’t even for Joe

While I agree Joe was put in a tough spot, clutch players make clutch plays. Joe has never been that player -- he's been the opposite in game winning situations. He's had some great games where we would not have won without his point production, but I can't remember a single time where he had a game winning shot -- and there have been a number of occasions where he has had turnovers or absolute ridiculous shots put up with the game on the line. And if you don't want to criticize him for that, criticize him for the fact that he was complaining about a no call that cost us a loose ball a few possessions earlier.

Joe has always had a good attitude, works hard and has outperformed expectations. He represented the school well and had some truly memorable games. But he never could put the team on his shoulders with the game on the line. I applaud his career, but look forward to someone new taking those potential game winners -- so that they actually end up winning games.

Yeah but the play wasn’t even for Joe

Yeah, there was no Jimmy Chitwood in that huddle saying I'll make it.

It was more like, I hope the play goes as planned as doesn't end up in Jimmy's hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom