Would Hop Consider This? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Would Hop Consider This?

just watched a hgtv show island retreats about whidbey islands about an hour from seattle.
looks like paradise. syracuse over seattle is a tough sell. especially if you like the ocean .

(edit. the home the couple choose sold for just 412k ) makes me think about heading west.

Whidbey Island is like paradise at least some of the year but super expensive.

Certainly is, but is barely different from Miami or anywhere on the Gulf side of FL.
You think so? I found the Bahamas to be much clearer.

Better bring your steamer trunk. There's a reasonable chance that once you experience Vancouver you won't return east.

My brother lived in NYC for 40 years and now lives in South Beach. He’s visited Vancouver several times because a friend lives there. It’s his favorite place to go.

Man, wish I knew you guys had all this info on the area when the company I work for still had a facility out that way. Used to stay in Marina.

You shoulda insisted they open a satellite office in Marina :cool:

You shoulda insisted they open a satellite office in Marina :cool:

Our facility was in Castroville. Sad to see it go when we pulled out. Some really good folks out that way as well.

I actually may be going to Vancouver. My company offers trips for hitting certain promos and my office hit one that qualified me for either The Bahamas in May or Vancouver in June. I picked the Bahamas but the woman I'm bringing works for the Florida Panthers and if they make the Playoffs, I'll have to switch to the June Vancouver trip.

Everyone tells me it's awesome but, again, East Coast Bias had me wondering why I'd ever want to vaca in West Coast Canada.
Because when you get there, you'll wonder why you even questioned it.

Near CSUMB?

Yep. Could get off at Lightfighter or the next one for Fremont and go up by Seaside High School where that dip$h*t teacher shot themself a week or 2 ago.

Our facility was in Castroville. Sad to see it go when we pulled out. Some really good folks out that way as well.

Ah, the artichoke capital of the world!

Literally 0 things to do in Castroville. Think I ate bbq there once and that was the extent of interesting things to do there. Pretty darn close to Phil's though to go over and get a bowl of Cioppino.

Literally 0 things to do in Castroville. Think I ate bbq there once and that was the extent of interesting things to do there. Pretty darn close to Phil's though to go over and get a bowl of Cioppino.

Only place I've ever seen multiple mexican dishes with artichoke woven in, which was cool. Yeah, the town itself was not great. And it was always cold...

Only place I've ever seen multiple mexican dishes with artichoke woven in, which was cool. Yeah, the town itself was not great. And it was always cold...

It's a really odd climate right there. Basically 65-72 and overcast/foggy almost every day all year. After arriving from Buffalo I obviously loved it, but after a year or so it became kind of weird.

It's a really odd climate right there. Basically 65-72 and overcast/foggy almost every day all year. After arriving from Buffalo I obviously loved it, but after a year or so it became kind of weird.

It's the marine layer that covers the Bay mostly in July and August, brings in the fog and drops the temps down to mid 50s. It's a pain in the butt. The good thing is you go a mile or two inland and it's sunny with the temps up by 20 - 25 degrees. The hottest time of the year here is in Oct and Nov.

Phil's is pretty much my fav place to eat. And you're right, Castroville is a zero. It does grow the best artichokes anywhere in the world. It used to be a migrant worker ag town and still is to some degree.

if you do go to Vancouver, make sure you get to Victoria Island, BC too. really awesome place to visit, as is Vancouver
I should have gone farther, but ... [Had a family wedding on Whidbey Island in April and that part of the country is spectacular. No doubt BC is gorgeous ... isn't Bamff up there?]