Would Rich Rod Consider Louisville? | Syracusefan.com

Would Rich Rod Consider Louisville?

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
FootballScoop Says That Louisville Will Pursue.

Wow.

Footballscoop probably got the idea from reading a Louisville message board.

they can do better...

the answer is pretty obvious... think on it.

Obviously Schiano is their first choice. The real issue is whether Schiano has any interest in them, after all, he has already rejected Texas, PSU and some other schools not yet named. :p

Louisville should be fine. They have a great Athletics Department and a top shelf AD so there is a lot of support and money should not be an issue.

Rich Rod just doesn't make any sense. None. Petrino? Geez, I wonder if they have to provide a 'Ville motorcycle for his personal use?

Rich Rod just doesn't make any sense. None. Petrino? Geez, I wonder if they have to provide a 'Ville motorcycle for his personal use?

I am souring on RichRod to Louisville, now. He is more of a control freak than a manager and would fight the Louisville culture more than work with it.

As for the motorcycle for Petrino, it's cheaper than a chopper and if Louisville is able to control his biking companions, then they might be able to make it work. At least they could keep the peace among coaching staffs. :D

FootballScoop Says That Louisville Will Pursue.

Wow.

If he insists on a current head coach, I'd take a look at Paul Rhoads. He's done pretty well at a place that's tough to win. I think he'd do well on a bigger stage. You'd have to pay him big bucks, though. He signed a 10 year/20 mill contract with ISU last year I think. Mullen is another one. MSU is the toughest job in the SEC. At least Vandy can sell top-notch academics. I think you could pry him away from there even though he might take the Florida job down the line. As for the smaller schools, if age is not a consideration, then O'Leary is definitely your man. Doc Holliday is a good candidate too. Lights out recruiter with ACC experience.

he's had 2 8 win seasons at Arizona. he should hold out for the bills, they think 8 wins in college is amazing.

i think he'd do well at louisville if he learned from his stubbornness at Michigan (big if)

Money wins. Louisville was paying Strong $3.7 mil/year. More or less, UoL will be able to "choose" who they want. That is a profitable athletic program that can outbid most of the other schools out there. Strong ranked #7 in coaches' comp this year FYI.

If I was Louisville I wouldn't go after Rich-Rod. Rich-Rod will keep their offense elite, but he runs his program like WVU always seems to do. He recruits all the speed he can and doesn't distribute it equally he puts it all on offense and not much on defense. That is why he always struggles against good teams with defensive talent. Rich-Rod doesn't put the speed on defense and depends on turnovers for defense to win games. WVU/Rich-Rod always out-score teams or they lose I wouldn't want him if I was Jurich.

If I was Jurich I would go after 1. Alabama Defensive Coordinator Kirby Smart 2. Clemson Offensive Coordinator Chad Morris 3. Western Kentucky Bobby Petrino. I may be missing somebody, but I would go after those two hot coordinators. Smart is the heir apparent for Nick Saban, but getting him in Louisville for a few years would be smart IMO.

Perfect time for Chad Morris to make a move, with Boyd, Watkins and Bryant all going in the draft.

Perfect time for Chad Morris to make a move, with Boyd, Watkins and Bryant all going in the draft.

I would look for Strong to try and lure Morris to UT.

If I was Louisville I wouldn't go after Rich-Rod. Rich-Rod will keep their offense elite, but he runs his program like WVU always seems to do. He recruits all the speed he can and doesn't distribute it equally he puts it all on offense and not much on defense. That is why he always struggles against good teams with defensive talent. Rich-Rod doesn't put the speed on defense and depends on turnovers for defense to win games. WVU/Rich-Rod always out-score teams or they lose I wouldn't want him if I was Jurich.

If I was Jurich I would go after 1. Alabama Defensive Coordinator Kirby Smart 2. Clemson Offensive Coordinator Chad Morris 3. Western Kentucky Bobby Petrino. I may be missing somebody, but I would go after those two hot coordinators. Smart is the heir apparent for Nick Saban, but getting him in Louisville for a few years would be smart IMO.

Everyone keeps mentioning Petrino, but forgetting the motorcycle incident at Arkansas, didn't he leave Louisville in a pretty disorganized place? I recall something about Kragthorpe having to clean house, with a lot of issues that were all over the board. Kragthorpe's teams never recovered on the field. I never really cared about the full story, but I'd bet it's something on Louisville's mind before they decide to go jumping back into that pool.

You have to assume they're at least trying to get an interview with Kirby Smart or Chad Morris.

Everyone keeps mentioning Petrino, but forgetting the motorcycle incident at Arkansas, didn't he leave Louisville in a pretty disorganized place? I recall something about Kragthorpe having to clean house, with a lot of issues that were all over the board. Kragthorpe's teams never recovered on the field. I never really cared about the full story, but I'd bet it's something on Louisville's mind before they decide to go jumping back into that pool.

You have to assume they're at least trying to get an interview with Kirby Smart or Chad Morris.
Petrino left Louisville with a top 10 team and Brian Brohm(yes I realize in hindsight this is crazy) who was a top 10 pick at the time if he left Louisville, and decent talent on that roster. Kraghthorpe was Louisville's Greg Robinson, but even worse because he lost to G-Rob twice and had more talent on his roster. Petrino had the motorcycle incident at Arkansas and has paid the price for that, but I don't think it disqualifies him forever. He did a good job at Arkansas/Louisville can recruit in that area and has paid a price for his mistakes. The only place he will never get hired again is the NFL because he left the Atlanta Falcons before the season ended to take the Arkansas job which was a joke. He hasn't done that in college football. I would pursue Morris/Smart 1-2, but Petrino back at Louisville would be like this.
homer11.jpg

If Petrino got offered the job. He would have to have a buyout which would make it impossible for him to leave for another, but give Louisville the ability to fire him if he didn't work out.

Petrino left Louisville with a top 10 team and Brian Brohm(yes I realize in hindsight this is crazy) who was a top 10 pick at the time if he left Louisville, and decent talent on that roster. Kraghthorpe was Louisville's Greg Robinson, but even worse because he lost to G-Rob twice and had more talent on his roster. Petrino had the motorcycle incident at Arkansas and has paid the price for that, but I don't think it disqualifies him forever. He did a good job at Arkansas/Louisville can recruit in that area and has paid a price for his mistakes. The only place he will never get hired again is the NFL because he left the Atlanta Falcons before the season ended to take the Arkansas job which was a joke. He hasn't done that in college football. I would pursue Morris/Smart 1-2, but Petrino back at Louisville would be like this.
homer11.jpg

If Petrino got offered the job. He would have to have a buyout which would make it impossible for him to leave for another, but give Louisville the ability to fire him if he didn't work out.
Brohm is why I'd give him another shot. He has no arm and Petrino was able to mask it that well.

I would look for Strong to try and lure Morris to UT.
Chad Morris makes as much money as OC (1.3M) at Clemson as HCSS makes as a HC here.

Dabo is a great recruiter but he really needs coordinators like Morris and Venables to run the show. Not the best X's and O's coach.

Agree. I'm sure L'Ville feels like they have moved on from the Petrino era, and have elevated themselves to where they don't need to go backwards.

homer11.jpg

You didn't at all address what I was asking. I thought there were issues at Louisville specifically. A bunch of academic issues with current players, some crime issues as well. I don't know all the details, but I just remember Kragthorpe having to clean house. I don't think he was walking in there giving a top 10 team the Marrone speech about how you're probably not going to play for me.

Brohm is why I'd give him another shot. He has no arm and Petrino was able to mask it that well.

Or better yet, that lefty before him. Lefours I think? That guy looked like was throwing with the wrong arm, and he completed about 70% of his passes in a high octane offense.

Does Cutcliffe ever plan on leaving Duke? If he does, would he go to Louisville? Is he too old to make another move?

If he insists on a current head coach, I'd take a look at Paul Rhoads. He's done pretty well at a place that's tough to win. I think he'd do well on a bigger stage. You'd have to pay him big bucks, though. He signed a 10 year/20 mill contract with ISU last year I think. Mullen is another one. MSU is the toughest job in the SEC. At least Vandy can sell top-notch academics. I think you could pry him away from there even though he might take the Florida job down the line. As for the smaller schools, if age is not a consideration, then O'Leary is definitely your man. Doc Holliday is a good candidate too. Lights out recruiter with ACC experience.
I don't think Rhodes leaves Iowa State. He is an Iowa guy and will be there for awhile unless he gets fired.