Would we have lost this game last year? | Syracusefan.com

Would we have lost this game last year?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
We scored 80. Take away the contributions of Hughes (19) and Boeheim (19) and we score 42. Rose scored 49. If at any time last year Battle went 1 for 10 and Howard sat, we probably get a Loss. Brissett got his and Chewy is not a big scorer. Would Marek have scored the 8 points needed for a win? Last year was a good defense and an offense skating on thin ice. The newbies are going to play. Can they keep up the good defense?

The question is whether we would have lost this game if Battle went 1 for 10 and Howard sat.

But Frank didn't sit last year... So this isn't apples to apples.
Plus, just because other ppl like Hughes n Buddy scored, doesn't mean SU would've handed St. Rose the ball back in all those possessions, to come back to 42 pts; other SU players would've shot the ball, and Frank would've been in the game.

We won by 31... not a nail biter.

We scored 80. Take away the contributions of Hughes (19) and Boeheim (19) and we score 42. Rose scored 49. If at any time last year Battle went 1 for 10 and Howard sat, we probably get a Loss. Brissett got his and Chewy is not a big scorer. Would Marek have scored the 8 points needed for a win? Last year was a good defense and an offense skating on thin ice. The newbies are going to play. Can they keep up the good defense?

Yeah I don’t think math works the way you think it does.

I think it’s valid. We didn’t have a Buddy last year either and everybody was more raw. It’s possible. Last night wasn’t pretty offense for many parts of the game.

I don't think you can really take much away from exhibition game results. Pretty much all our crappiest teams ever (1997, 2002, last few years, etc.) won big in exhibitions, while one of our greatest teams ever 2010 lost to Lemoyne.

We would have beat this team last year under any circumstance you want to come up with.

I don’t think it’s a stone cold lock as you indicate. Besides, there isn’t a huge correlation between preseason and in season results. Plus, it doesn’t even count. But, we were a bad team early in the season so entertaining the OP isn’t that far-fetched to me.

I don’t think it’s a stone cold lock as you indicate. Besides, there isn’t a huge correlation between preseason and in season results. Plus, it doesn’t even count. But, we were a bad team early in the season so entertaining the OP isn’t that far-fetched to me.

I’m going with stone cold lock. Marek steps up, and so does Battle if needed. We ain’t losing to St. Rose last year.

Someone would be playing the sixty minutes that Hughes and Buddy played last night. Safe to say they’d score a bucket or two.

I mean it’s a little more nuanced than the OP subtracting the points score by those two guys and deciding “ZOMG wed lose!!!”

Someone would be playing the sixty minutes that Hughes and Buddy played last night. Safe to say they’d score a bucket or two.

I mean it’s a little more nuanced than the OP subtracting the points score by those two guys and deciding “ZOMG wed lose!!!”

Again, I’m not saying it would totally happen but it’s possible. And I’m not using his method of subtracting points and such. We had nothing close to a Hughes and Buddy last year in terms of other/extra shooting ability and shotmaking besides Howard/Battle and somewhat Oshae at that stage. Matt and Marek, certainly Matt were enigmas especially back then. Chewy wouldn’t have gotten the ball. I think Howard/Battle would’ve needed to play pretty well. Back then Howard might have had 6 turnovers. Regardless, it doesn’t matter, it’s specualtion, and irrelevant as nothing would have counted, anyways.

The question is whether we would have lost this game if Battle went 1 for 10 and Howard sat.

Battle wouldn't be 1 for 10 if Buddy and Eli weren't here. He'd put up at least 20 attempts and would probably improve on the 10% shooting or say 'F it' and just bully his way to the rim for foul shots. A 1-10 mark from Battle would indicate somebody was having a great game. That would likely be Brissett picking up the slack.

2 assumptions in this hypothetical: 1) Howard does not play, and 2) Battle is 1/10.
Back then Marek did not score. Would Matt have saved the day? Maybe yes, maybe no. We might have lost that game.

2 assumptions in this hypothetical: 1) Howard does not play, and 2) Battle is 1/10.
Back then Marek did not score. Would Matt have saved the day? Maybe yes, maybe no. We might have lost that game.

Howard Washington?

No we would have figured out a way to win it with a 64-50 type of score.

Battle wouldn't be 1 for 10 if Buddy and Eli weren't here. He'd put up at least 20 attempts and would probably improve on the 10% shooting or say 'F it' and just bully his way to the rim for foul shots. A 1-10 mark from Battle would indicate somebody was having a great game. That would likely be Brissett picking up the slack.

This is the correct answer. I can accept the hypothetical that Frank is injured and this years freshman are not on the team. I cannot accept that in that situation Tyus Battle only shoots 10 shots.

Is Mike Ditka coaching the team? I still say no way we lose this game.

Nope, we could have trotted out our best three players, and played a 2-1 zone and still won.

By that logic, Kentucky would have lost every game "last year" every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom