Would you be surprised if we lose go Chaminade? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Would you be surprised if we lose go Chaminade?

Would you be surprised if we lose to Chaminade?

• Yes

Votes: 83 58.9%
  • No

Votes: 58 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
12 points is reasonably close now?
Until the end of both games, SU amazingly managed to stay withing striking distance in the 2nd half while failing in many aspects of the game.
vs Zags, they got it down to 8, then 7, then 6 before the wheels came off. Unfortunately SU didn't have it in them to make the little run needed at that point to get the lead and maybe a W.
Not a F4 Zags team and not impressed by TN, but rationalize that SU remained in these games until late.

If Red can get this group to play as a team and they start hitting shots, there could be a rising trajectory for where they go this season.
Red has an opportunity to prove that he can coach, and this team to prove they have character.
If Red doesn't fix what needs fixing to get the team to their potential and stop the Me Ball, the honeymoon will be very short (appears over already for some fans!).

Shouldn’t be surprised if we lose to anybody. This team doesnt win more than 8 or 9 games this year. Once you accept that its easier to cope with

Yeah - premature to say that's a definite at this point... lots of basketball to be played, but, after witnessing the start of this season, it's much more in the realm of possibility than I thought going in.

Red gets a pass this year regardless, but I hope we see some progress at least.

Plenty of smaller teams.
Yup. But compared to other P6 teams, we are quite small. It may work as Virginia's national champion team. But it is very rare for a small team to work, you need great shooters in the team. Need at least three starters and a few backups. We have only one and he has poor defense skill.

Shouldn’t be surprised if we lose to anybody. This team doesnt win more than 8 or 9 games this year. Once you accept that its easier to cope with
We lose to 2 top 15 teams and now we win 9 games this year? I swear, some of you people making these absolute predictions.. it’s really outrageous. 9 wins???

Yup. But compared to other P6 teams, we are quite small. It may work as Virginia's national champion team. But it is very rare for a small team to work, you need great shooters in the team. Need at least three starters and a few backups. We have only one and he has poor defense skill.
I just don’t think that’s correct. We literally start one of the tallest players in college basketball.

What in the first three games made you feel good though? First time two games weren’t great, the Colgate comeback was nice, but that was an awful game too. We haven’t even played a good half yet. I just don’t see it.
I know it has been sketchy. There have been glimpses of good and my hope is that continues to build into something consistent for 40 minutes. I am just trying my best to be positive because another winter of crappy basketball is not what any of us want to see.

Why are they miserable, because they think we could lose? If you think there’s no way we can lose our next game you’re delusional. We aren’t anywhere near a good team yet. Hopefully we can get there this season.
I get it but I am at the stage of life where I refuse to be miserable over my favorite sports teams even though they all stink right now.

Offensive problems:

- Mintz and JJ's inability to finish at the rim when they explode past defender. When fouled in the act and get to the line, they must make free throws.
- Mintz tends to go in hero ball mode or go into NBA showcase mode. It reminds me of summer league ball where instead of playing team ball and doing all the little things that teams are looking for from a 12th man or 2 way developing player, most guys are trying to be the man and play selfishly. Coach need to remind him that as a point guard, teams want to see him run the team, set guys up for easy basket and pick his spots.

Those 2 guys run the plays so most of the problems fall on them. They both need to kick the ball out to the shooters when they penetrate and the defense collapses on them. This will make for easier shots for the shooters like Bell and Taylor who must shoot at a higher percentage.

Copeland should not be taking 3s at this point. Keep taking 3s at practice to get better.

I don't want to go through each player but McLeod need to dominate inside especially against shorter defenders and overall, the team need to make more free throws.

Defensively, were just really bad and need extra work in practice to gel.

I think Red is in the same situation as Hurley was at UCONN. Once he started to get his own players he was able to play his style of game. Red needs quicker, stronger players who are skilled offensively. He has hardly any of that presently.

Negativity on this board’s too much.

It was never going to come together fast. Show the team your support at the dome and expect growth over time.
It might have come together faster than this, but Maui did this team no favors. Still, I think they'll ultimately be better for getting knocked around a bit this week. There have been some abysmal stat lines put up by any number of players in these two games, and yet they were reasonably close late into both games before the dam gave way.

Gonzaga’s not a powerhouse? Ok.

I know, right??

EIGHT STRAIGHT SWEET SIXTEENS.

They are literally the only team in the country to do that.

One can squawk about their conference not being as deep or challenging, but they’re still getting it done in the dance, consistently.

Have they won’t it all, yet?
No, not yet.

Neither did JAB.
Until he finally did.

Last edited:
Negativity on this board’s too much.

It was never going to come together fast. Show the team your support at the dome and expect growth over time.
I have trouble seeing the light when a coach lets a low tier 3 point shooter put up 10 shots without any semblance of coaching him into playing decoy. Sorry but offense was supposed to be the easy part and they look like chit

I have trouble seeing the light when a coach lets a low tier 3 point shooter put up 10 shots without any semblance of coaching him into playing decoy. Sorry but offense was supposed to be the easy part and they look like chit
When was the offense supposed to be the easy part? Most people recognized all off season that we would need to find scoring.

When was the offense supposed to be the easy part? Most people recognized all of season that we would need to find scoring.
Because as the team with the ball YOU have control. You can scheme, call plays, exploit apparent weaknesses. Red has done none of that. His offensive coaching is “Chris bell is one of the best shooters in the country so he’s gonna shoot” despite the fact that the previous statement has never been true.

We lose to 2 top 15 teams and now we win 9 games this year? I swear, some of you people making these absolute predictions.. it’s really outrageous. 9 wins???
Yes because wins over UNH, Canisius, and Colgate hold a ton of merit. Not to mention we were down 24 to Colgate and got lucky they wet the bet in the second half. This team gets absolutely romped in the ACC, anyone with eyes can see that

He's a Girard fan only. Don't bother.

Yes because wins over UNH, Canisius, and Colgate hold a ton of merit. Not to mention we were down 24 to Colgate and got lucky they wet the bet in the second half. This team gets absolutely romped in the ACC, anyone with eyes can see that
So bet on it. SU wins 9 or less total games this year. You in?

So bet on it. SU wins 9 or less total games this year. You in?

This.

I would happily bet CuseFTW (SRSLY? Irony is dead.) any dollar amount that Syracuse will win at least TEN FFF’n GAMES!!!
YES TEN!!!
this season.

Let’s see if (s)he (wo)man’s up and puts their $ where their whiny cry hole is.

When was the offense supposed to be the easy part? Most people recognized all off season that we would need to find scoring.
When we had “one of the best backcourts in the country and easily the best one in the ACC”.

in both games we were reasonably close with around 5 minutes left in each game and then completely tanked the last few minutes. I think we sort of gave up and then the scores ballooned. It's not as bad as it seems right now. It really isn't. This is like day one after a bad break up. tomorrow will feel a bit better.

No, we were never close vs. Gonzaga.

Red gets a pass this year regardless, but I hope we see some progress at least.
curious - why do you think he’s earned a pass? What cred has he built up? If we go 9-22 the athletic department cannot afford the financial fallout.

12 pts isn't much considering it was 6 pts with just over 8 minutes left. It's not like it was 20 and we artificially brought it down to 12. we played awful both games and yet were in each of them well into the second half.

12 points "isn't much" of a lead when we are getting points from our forwards and our center, but we weren't. So it might as well have been 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom