Would you want to play here? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would you want to play here?

You have to have at least one assistant coach who is a great recruiter. It's a talent. It's a personality. We don't have that. The one guy we had who did left. Our staff are nice guys, good guys, good basketball guys. None have shown any ability to convince upper level recruits to come. In his younger days JB did it and did it well. Then he had assistants that did like Wayne Morgan, Troy Weaver, Rob Murphy, and Mike Hopkins. Need to bring in an assistant from outside who has current AAU connections to big programs where the top talent is and wants to recruit to "climb the ladder". And the longer the program slides into irrelevancy the tougher it's going to be to recruit the top kids. And we need a lot more than 1 Dior Johnson.

And we need a lot more than 1 Dior Johnson.

Seems more like you’re complaining about what’s already been done than what’s in the process of happening now.

Then he had assistants that did like Wayne Morgan, Troy Weaver, Rob Murphy, and Mike Hopkins. Need to bring in an assistant from outside who has current AAU connections to big programs where the top talent is and wants to recruit to "climb the ladder".

That’s not the Syracuse Way (TM)

You have to have at least one assistant coach who is a great recruiter. It's a talent. It's a personality. We don't have that. The one guy we had who did left. Our staff are nice guys, good guys, good basketball guys. None have shown any ability to convince upper level recruits to come. In his younger days JB did it and did it well. Then he had assistants that did like Wayne Morgan, Troy Weaver, Rob Murphy, and Mike Hopkins. Need to bring in an assistant from outside who has current AAU connections to big programs where the top talent is and wants to recruit to "climb the ladder". And the longer the program slides into irrelevancy the tougher it's going to be to recruit the top kids. And we need a lot more than 1 Dior Johnson.
That pretty much sums it up

As for the PG spot, I like JG3, i know that at this time last year the plan probably wasnt him playing 35 mins a game in his freshman year...

With that said if the staff has given up on J Carey and he transfers out is PG set with JG3 for the foreseable future until Dior arrives? What if JG3 gets hurt and Carey and Washington are gone, its then BG and Kadary?

North Carolina has had 13 1st round picks since 2010 (Wes Johnson draft) and duke has had 24 first round picks since then. Wes Johnson was drafted 10 years ago. 10. Flynn 11. This wasn’t yesterday this happened. Don’t know how anyone can stand up to this element of the program as being a success. Also career longevity is also a major thing. Other than Wes Johnson who has really had a long prosperous career since 2009 from SU

That pretty much sums it up

As for the PG spot, I like JG3, i know that at this time last year the plan probably wasnt him playing 35 mins a game in his freshman year...

With that said if the staff has given up on J Carey and he transfers out is PG set with JG3 for the foreseable future until Dior arrives? What if JG3 gets hurt and Carey and Washington are gone, its then BG and Kadary?

Why would Washington be gone? I’d understand Carey, as a top 50 recruit who could’ve gone to lots of major programs, not being content to be a backup his whole career.

I feel like Washington would’ve went to Buffalo or something in the first place if he was worried about being a starter. He’s in good position to be the backup PG and get minutes next year IMO.

North Carolina has had 13 1st round picks since 2010 (Wes Johnson draft) and duke has had 24 first round picks since then. Wes Johnson was drafted 10 years ago. 10. Flynn 11. This wasn’t yesterday this happened. Don’t know how anyone can stand up to this element of the program as being a success. Also career longevity is also a major thing. Other than Wes Johnson who has really had a long prosperous career since 2009 from SU

These are kids who weren’t that big of recruits though. Top 5-10 kids can go to any school and get drafted high.

Id argue more kids should start thinking like Dior, and the tide should turn. Duke and UK aren’t doing anything for these kids that Syracuse, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Purdue, Ohio State, etc. can’t do for them.

These are kids who weren’t that big of recruits though. Top 5-10 kids can go to any school and get drafted high.

Id argue more kids should start thinking like Dior, and the tide should turn. Duke and UK aren’t doing anything for these kids that Syracuse, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Purdue, Ohio State, etc. can’t do for them.
I agree with you. But we used to get a couple of kids every year ranked in the 40's and 50's who turned out to be really good players. Once in a while we would get a kid in the 20's (think the last was Malachi Richardson). We haven't gotten these type of kids in several years now.

I hate to be that guy but while I get that Wes was at one point a one star recruit out of Corsicana Texas, that’s not really the guy JB recruited.

True enough. He showed promise his first two years - especially when 100% healthy as a freshman, but he didn’t exactly have conference player of the year and first team AA written on him either. He had a lot of potential - but I don’t think he could’ve possibly looked any better than he did at Cuse. He was a great fit and was featured to his strengths.

Yup. And we had Wes go 4, Flynn go 6, Waiters go 4. None of those guys were top 5 recruits, yet they were all top picks.

I’d argue more top recruits (like Carmelo and Owens) should go to Syracuse. Look at how Boeheim featured those guys, and how high they got picked.

At Kentucky they’d play 24 mpg and average 12 and 6.

Exactly...been saying this for years. Its shocking to me more big time guys dont come here, you would have total freedom and be featured basically every possession.

There sure are a lot of backward looking people here who don't seem to grasp the significance of GMac securing an early commitment from the best point guard in high school.

Depends, do you plan on watching the next two years?

Yes. The effects of recruiting mostly happen down the line and take time IMO. The players we have now - the recruiting efforts that led to that happened a long time ago.

We’ve got a major verbal and are involved with lots of major kids. Seems like things are on an uptick? Recruiting isn’t free agency where we can all of a sudden go nuts right NOW to bring in a ton of kids for next year. The things they’re doing now will pay off down the line.

Just how I see it.

There sure are a lot of backward looking people here who don't seem to grasp the significance of GMac securing an early commitment from the best point guard in high school.

“But he’s not playing NOW so WHO CARES? And he probably will go to the NBA anyway.” - People

If kids cared that much about total freedom and being featured on every possession there are any number of low Major and mid majors that fit that hill I’m sure.

If kids cared that much about total freedom and being featured on every possession there are any number of low Major and mid majors that fit that hill I’m sure.

Being featured while playing for a major program in front of the biggest crowds, on ESPN all the time, in the most well regarded league though...

They will be better the next two years than this year. Write that down.

Sure I’ll write it down. Now put together a reasonable argument for why it would be true.

Is JB going to change his offensive and defensive schemes to fit the personnel he actually has?

Are the personnel we have going to become significantly more athletic?

Just don’t see the path to what you believe you are seeing.

Being featured while playing for a major program in front of the biggest crowds, on ESPN all the time, in the most well regarded league though...

Yeah, there’s a lot of factors.

Inwould day though that if I’m that good that I would be the featured player on every possession at Syracuse I’m probably good enough to be that guy anywhere else, or close to it.

ETA I’m probably just down after yesterday and the season in general. We go on a miracle run next week and I’ll have an entirely different take.

Last edited:
He’s just saying we’re acting all giddy that we allegedly will have 1 great player on campus 3 years from now. The blue bloods get 5 of these every year.
And that helped UNC how this year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom