Would you want to play here? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Would you want to play here?

You have to have at least one assistant coach who is a great recruiter. It's a talent. It's a personality. We don't have that. The one guy we had who did left. Our staff are nice guys, good guys, good basketball guys. None have shown any ability to convince upper level recruits to come. In his younger days JB did it and did it well. Then he had assistants that did like Wayne Morgan, Troy Weaver, Rob Murphy, and Mike Hopkins. Need to bring in an assistant from outside who has current AAU connections to big programs where the top talent is and wants to recruit to "climb the ladder". And the longer the program slides into irrelevancy the tougher it's going to be to recruit the top kids. And we need a lot more than 1 Dior Johnson.
Not going to happen!

Yes. The effects of recruiting mostly happen down the line and take time IMO. The players we have now - the recruiting efforts that led to that happened a long time ago.

We’ve got a major verbal and are involved with lots of major kids. Seems like things are on an uptick? Recruiting isn’t free agency where we can all of a sudden go nuts right NOW to bring in a ton of kids for next year. The things they’re doing now will pay off down the line.

Just how I see it.

It is great assuming it comes to fruition.

It doesn’t change that our roster next season looks to be our worst collection of talent possibly ever.

Or that the “recruiting resurgence” comes at a time when the guy leading it will be turning 78 years old. JB will be 78 in the fall of 2022 when Dior finally makes it to campus. Sorry for being somewhat skeptical that JB is going to coach forever or that he’ll even be around to wring the talent out of recruits not stepping foot onto campus for two and a half more years. God forbid they aren’t all ready as frosh.

Why would Washington be gone? I’d understand Carey, as a top 50 recruit who could’ve gone to lots of major programs, not being content to be a backup his whole career.

I feel like Washington would’ve went to Buffalo or something in the first place if he was worried about being a starter. He’s in good position to be the backup PG and get minutes next year IMO.
Maybe HW will graduate and want to go somewhere to start and play significant minutes. I have no clue what his intentions will be but I wonder what the chances are that both HW and Carey are gone?

There sure are a lot of backward looking people here who don't seem to grasp the significance of GMac securing an early commitment from the best point guard in high school.
Thats great but hes not gonna be here until fall of 22 and how good are we gonna be next year and are the 20 and 21 recruiting classes up to standards and getting the program back to where they should be?

If we don’t land towns or someone comparable I’m mailing it in for next year. I watched way too many roku tape delayed games late at night to come away feeling like it was a poor time investment.

Yes. The effects of recruiting mostly happen down the line and take time IMO. The players we have now - the recruiting efforts that led to that happened a long time ago.

We’ve got a major verbal and are involved with lots of major kids. Seems like things are on an uptick? Recruiting isn’t free agency where we can all of a sudden go nuts right NOW to bring in a ton of kids for next year. The things they’re doing now will pay off down the line.

Just how I see it.
I appreciate you being honest with your words. We have a verbal from a high school sophomore.

In HS, I was a guard, with little interest in playing defense. But I loved shooting the 3-ball!

So, yes, SU would be a perfect fit for the 17-year old version of me.

I appreciate you being honest with your words. We have a verbal from a high school sophomore.

Which is great! Many here have bemoaned how we haven’t been “locking them up early” like we often used to.

Kid seems very gung ho too. All positive.

Got Dior and seem to have a good shot at Westry and Williams.

Is this really the time to complain about recruiting?
Its way overdue. JB and staff have been mediocre at best since Hop left.

If I was a big, absolutely not. You’re not featured here.

If I was a big, absolutely not. You’re not featured here.

People keep saying that. What big have we had that has skills worthy of being featured that hasn’t been featured?

Senior Rak was featured. Hak was featured. Sophomore Fab was on too deep a team and not good enough relative to other options to be featured.

Who else you got?

Rick and AO
2010 team was the perfect college basketball team.
We had the ability to play so many different ways within the game.
We could play Wes at the 4 with one big.
We could play Wes at the 3 with AO and Jackson on the floor.
The 7 players at the top of the rotation
Scoop, Triche, Rautins, Joseph, Johnson, Jackson, Onuaku could be interchangeable.

Now we have to play less talented players more minutes to just be mediocre.

Rick and AO

Yeah, AO, Rick, Rak.
All got a ton of run, and Rick & Rak we’re our #1 scoring option for their respective Sr years.

(Although I’m pretty sure somebody else scored more than Rick, but still - he was Option 1 most of the time)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom