Wow.. Denver Kirland | Syracusefan.com

Wow.. Denver Kirland

tboxCUSE92

Scout Team
Enjoy the U, Gus.. Coach Al pulls a fast one.. Interesting read...

Booker T. coach Tim "Ice" Harris says he's stunned UM pulled scholarship from Kirkland

This isn't the type of finish UM coach Al Golden had in mind.

With less than a week before National Signing Day, the Hurricanes have pulled a scholarship offer from a top recruit at a major high school power in Miami-Dade County and angered its head coach.

Booker T. Washington coach Tim "Ice" Harris said Thursday it was grossly unfair for the Hurricanes to pull their offer from All-American offensive lineman Denver Kirkland right after the team's state championship parade through Overtown.

Harris, who himself worked on UM's staff under Randy Shannon and whose son Brandon was a standout cornerback at UM, said he had assured UM coaches privately Kirkland had decided to sign with the Canes and was simply waiting until National Signing Day to announce. But because Kirkland wasn't willing to commit before then and make the announcement public, Harris said, assistant Micheal Barrow told him the program "was moving in a different direction."

"This had nothing to do with academics and everything to do with UM doing something unfair to a local kid," Harris said. "Denver has a 2.8 GPA and has the test score.

"Coach Golden visited the school today before our parade and told Denver everything he wanted to hear. Then, a couple hours later, everything changed. I told them Denver was all set to go there for the academics. This isn't the way UM should be doing business, not with the kids in their own backyard."

Harris said Barrow asked for a private meeting following the parade and asked Kirkland flatly if he would commit. Harris said Kirkland told Barrow UM was in the top three, but he wanted to wait until Signing Day to announce.

"I just don't understand why they couldn't wait," Harris said. "The same way [linebacker] Matthew Thomas is a big-time kid, Denver is the same big-time offensive lineman. Let the kid enjoy his moment. If they were going to do this to him, why not let him know well ahead of time so he could plan another visit. Don't come to us in the end and say you're going in another direction because of a defensive lineman."

Asked if this would affect Thomas' recruitment, Harris said: "I just look at this from a loyalty perspective. If we commit to something and show you love and tell you we're going to do something, just wait for it to happen. I've never seen anything of this magnitude. I'm not sure what this does for UM in Miami as a whole... I'll never tell a kid not to go somewhere, but it's tough for me to tell my kids to trust UM at this point.

"They don't know when an offer is going to get pulled, if they're going to do what they did to Denver today. He's an All-American. I just don't understand how they let him get out of here. I won't stop anybody from going to UM, but I can tell you I'll never help them again."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...-scholarship-from-kirkland.html#storylink=cpy

I'm confused, kid should've just committed and told the staff to keep it quiet until signing day. Telling them they were in your top 3 isn't what they wanted to hear, thats what you can tell the recruiting services to keep the suspense if youve already committed.

Regardless, I hope this benefits Syracuse in some way.

Michael Barrow, LB on the 1992 team that we came so close to beating in the Dome.

Hey GMcD, send out some feelers here.

I'm confused, kid should've just committed and told the staff to keep it quiet until signing day. Telling them they were in your top 3 isn't what they wanted to hear, thats what you can tell the recruiting services to keep the suspense if youve already committed.

Regardless, I hope this benefits Syracuse in some way.
the myth of the silent verbal continues...

Not getting the big deal. Less than a week to go and the kid tells them they are in his top 3 and won't announce until signing day. Golden probably has a firm commitment from someone else he likes. Isn't that how it goes sometimes?

the myth of the silent verbal continues...

Hypothetical.

You're at the bar and there's a girl you really wanna take home. You hit it off and say "lets have a few more drinks and be on our way". Then at the bar getting drinks you decide to flirt with a couple of other cute girls for 10 minutes. You turn around and the girl from your table is leaving with another dude that swooped in and you're surprised?

Seal the deal!

Get him on a plane to visit Syracuse this weekend

not much leg bend. pretty stiff. just mauls guys at this level.

GMC follows coach Harris on twitter so I'm sure they are pretty familiar with each other

Not getting the big deal. Less than a week to go and the kid tells them they are in his top 3 and won't announce until signing day. Golden probably has a firm commitment from someone else he likes. Isn't that how it goes sometimes?
Exactly...sounds very similar to our situation with Gus.

Time is running out and the Inn is filling fast. Either you're in...or you're out.

Spit or get off.

Boo hoo. The HS coach sounds like a douche. If the kid didn't want his offer pulled, then he should have committed right then and there. College coaches have limited scholarships to fill, at some point they need an answer. And it's not as if Miami is the kid's only offer. What a non-story.

It's a multi-million dollar business and this is what happens if you wait. When you are a selector, you have more options just as we know our basketball program has. The part I can't figure out is how Miami or FSU are doing well recruiting...Miami with the probes and FSU's staff is a complete mess.

recruit: "I'm so good, you have to wait til signing day..."

HS Coach: "Yeah!"

Miami coach: "But we have other offers contingent on what you do so we need a solid from you now..."

recruit: "I don't care. Do you know how good I am? You'll find out on signing day (wink-wink)"

HS Coach: "Yeah!"

Miami coach: "OK. If that is your position, you no longer have an offer with Miami."

I think we probably gave Gus a fill or kill as well.

Harris said Barrow asked for a private meeting following the parade and asked Kirkland flatly if he would commit. Harris said Kirkland told Barrow UM was in the top three, but he wanted to wait until Signing Day to announce.

Hey coach, you screwed over your own kid. If Miami is where he wanted to go, you should have advised him to commit. What's more important, having his spot secured or having his LOI day press conference?

"I just don't understand why they couldn't wait," Harris said. "The same way [linebacker] Matthew Thomas is a big-time kid, Denver is the same big-time offensive lineman. Let the kid enjoy his moment. If they were going to do this to him, why not let him know well ahead of time so he could plan another visit. Don't come to us in the end and say you're going in another direction because of a defensive lineman."

Why should they wait and maybe lose out on him and possibly their back-up plan. The university pays them to win football games, not stroke the egos of your players. They didn't let him know ahead of time because they were hoping he would commit, when he didn't do so within their time table, they moved on. Apparently he has two other schools going after him. He can now choose between them on signing day.

Asked if this would affect Thomas' recruitment, Harris said: "I just look at this from a loyalty perspective. If we commit to something and show you love and tell you we're going to do something, just wait for it to happen. I've never seen anything of this magnitude. I'm not sure what this does for UM in Miami as a whole... I'll never tell a kid not to go somewhere, but it's tough for me to tell my kids to trust UM at this point.

Ummm, isn't that the point? He didn't commit.

Boo hoo. The HS coach sounds like a douche. If the kid didn't want his offer pulled, then he should have committed right then and there. College coaches have limited scholarships to fill, at some point they need an answer. And it's not as if Miami is the kid's only offer. What a non-story.
The kids high school coach told Miami that he would be signing for the U come next week...Miami just wanted the announcement made public right then and there after this kids Championship parade...Why couldn't they let the kid have his time in the spotlight to make his annoucement? He already told u he would be signing with u? This will hurt Miami in the long run and let's hope Coach Mcdonald has already picked up the phone to let him know his players are always welcomed at Syracuse University

If the coach told them that would not seem enough to me. The kid should have just had a hat ceremony and been done with it.

Why couldn't they let the kid have his time in the spotlight to make his annoucement?
He's probably only had about a year to do that. Recruiters don't like being jerked around and potentially be left with unused scholarships that could've gone to other good players that a tidally would've accepted those scholarships.

Some of these overly-cocky kids should/will be left without a BCS destination. Like La. Tech not going to a bowl game or the Honeybadger not thinking that he'll be booted from the team.

In this case, the kid may have gotten some bad advice from coaches, friends and family.

The kids high school coach told Miami that he would be signing for the U come next week...Miami just wanted the announcement made public right then and there after this kids Championship parade...Why couldn't they let the kid have his time in the spotlight to make his annoucement? He already told u he would be signing with u? This will hurt Miami in the long run and let's hope Coach Mcdonald has already picked up the phone to let him know his players are always welcomed at Syracuse University

I doubt Miami's coaches care whether or not he makes his commitment public. What they wanted was his commitment to them, and based on the story, he wouldn't give it to them. "Okay then, your loss, kid. We're moving on." To which the coach responds like a child.

Don't forget that Coley just came in as the new OC from FSU and perhaps he has some other kids he would rather have...like Gus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom