Wow jerami grant!!! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wow jerami grant!!!

CJ will see the third most minutes per game when the dust settles, not far behind Triche and MCW.

Agree...CJ is just browsing right now, letting others get comfortable. You know come crunch time under the bright lights, he will be there for us.

He's been struggling, no doubt, but let's not get down on any of our guys too much this early in the season. There are a lot of people growing into new roles this year. So far, no slip ups, and let's just keep getting better. We'll need every one of these 9 guys at some point in the season.

I'm not down on CJ but Grant is playing well and he not going to take minutes from James and I group those 3 players together.

I think it is CJ who has to worry about his mins.

Not a chance. He's played extensive minutes the previous two years. That isn't going to change now.

Not a chance. He's played extensive minutes the previous two years. That isn't going to change now.

He needs to made his mid-range jumpers and finish around the rim. Grant is 8 for 13 on the season and 2 for 3 from 3pt land.

He needs to made his mid-range jumpers and finish around the rim. Grant is 8 for 13 on the season and 2 for 3 from 3pt land.

No doubt, he has been playing poor offensively. But you're talking about a player who has been a key contributor for two years, including playing major minutes on last year's 34-3 team.

Comparing Grant's numbers in limited minutes is apples and oranges. And I'm a huge Grant fan. But there ain't no way he's going to steal many minutes from CJ--none whatsoever.

I will say this: I figured that Grant might be a redshirt candidate, and then a guy who would be the 9th man in an 8 player rotation who would get MCW type of minutes this year. But I think he's better than that, and that we will go legitimately 9 deep this year. Grant is too good not to carve out some minor playing time this year--I just think it could come more from one of the trio of bigs.

He's got a ways to go, but his upside is a game like John Wallace. He's already hit a couple three's this year. John didn't show that part of his game until he was a junior. John was also forced to play a lot more; we didn't have nearly so many really good big men back then.

With Wallace, it was really only his senior year. I watched the abridged full game clip of that 1995 Arkansas game on YouTube; Wallace hit a 3 pointer and they mentioned it was only his third of the year and that was our final game. What an amazing leap he made to his senior year. By the way, if you didn't watch that clip because we ultimately lost, you are missing out. A level of play you rarely see today was on display in that game.

He remind me a lot of Harvey Grant. Do you remember him he played for the Bullets. They even have the same last name...creepy!
The first player that came to my mind was Raf Addison as a freshman where you could just tell the kid got it and that the game was played at his pace. But then I read the Wallace compariosn and he does remind me of JDub. But of course then you pointed out the obvious and yes he does very much remind me of his father. Nothing like his uncle as they were very different players. Going out on a limb I'm going to say that there is no way he will be a 3 year starter at SU. Mostly because he's not starting this year.

Glad to see Grant and Cooney do well.

It'll take time for both of them and i'm hopeful by the second half of the year both will be able to make some solid contributions.

Boeheim emphatically stated at the start of the season that SU would go 9 deep. I think many fans, myself included, thought he was being overly optimistic on Grant's contributions. I guess the coach knows what he's talking about...

Boeheim emphatically stated at the start of the season that SU would go 9 deep. I think many fans, myself included, thought he was being overly optimistic on Grant's contributions. I guess the coach knows what he's talking about...
Grant won't always be the 9th man either. Depending on the situation the only player guaranteed to come in before Grant is JSouth who as Welsh stated last night is not a bench player, he's the 6th starter.

you're judging that off a win over a team we were favored to win by 25?

cooney would have played 1 minute last night if it was a real game with how horrible he was to start the game.

grant has played no minutes in real games.

Please dont misconstrue this post as being negative. Grant has potential superstar written all over him. Cooney will hit a lot of 3's in his career.

But this game meant nothing to their contributions later this year.

And some of us thought Grant had a chance to play his way into minutes. Because he was a rising talent, with skills, while each of the other three forwards had limitations. Rak with no offense away from 6 ft, CJ trying to convert his game to SF, James as primarily a bomber. That is under valuing James who has improved his game.

But this game meant nothing to their contributions later this year.
100% wrong. This game and other games like this have everything to do with contributions later this year. This team needs Cooney badly to be able to be the 3rd guard. And he needs a lot of PT in games like this in order to develop into a serviceable player deeper in the schedule. Grant is less needed obviously but he needs to continue to get time in these types of games because he will be needed at some point. I love JSouth as much as the next guy but I also remember that he has had a habit in the past to disappear. And if James isn't shooting well he really doesn't bring much else to the table. I'm not tryign to build Cooney and Grant into soemthing they are not but they will both be needed at some point this season. PT in games like this is very very valuable to this teams success.

Agree...CJ is just browsing right now, letting others get comfortable. You know come crunch time under the bright lights, he will be there for us.

You're right on the second part - Fair will be there when we need him. Strong player.

Don't agree that he's only letting other people get comfortable; he's struggling. Playing below the rim, having a lot of difficulty getting his shot to fall, getting stripped a lot. His role has changed and he hasn't found his groove yet.

With Wallace, it was really only his senior year. I watched the abridged full game clip of that 1995 Arkansas game on YouTube; Wallace hit a 3 pointer and they mentioned it was only his third of the year and that was our final game. What an amazing leap he made to his senior year. By the way, if you didn't watch that clip because we ultimately lost, you are missing out. A level of play you rarely see today was on display in that game.

We played some great games in the mid-'90s. College basketball was so much better from an aesthetic standpoint in 1995. It's really only deteriorated in the past ten years; the leagues and the officials have let the physical play get out of hand.

And, yeah, Wallace couldn't shoot until he was a senior. Shot over 40% that year, though, with pretty heavy volume.

Perspective meter, anyone? How long have we watched JB and 'Cuse hoops? I'm as glad as anyone to see young Mr. Grant displaying some skills but to think veterans need to worry about decreasing minutes is absurd. MCW showed several flashes of brilliance last year but it didn't increase his minutes at all in the meaningful games. JB has never been one to "shake things up", he sticks to his guns and is always rewarded in the end. Let's take Grant's development for what it is - be happy - but don't expect him to be logging 30 anytime soon. His day will come...;)

Perspective meter, anyone? How long have we watched JB and 'Cuse hoops? I'm as glad as anyone to see young Mr. Grant displaying some skills but to think veterans need to worry about decreasing minutes is absurd. MCW showed several flashes of brilliance last year but it didn't increase his minutes at all in the meaningful games. JB has never been one to "shake things up", he sticks to his guns and is always rewarded in the end. Let's take Grant's development for what it is - be happy - but don't expect him to be logging 30 anytime soon. His day will come...;)

That is not true JB has made changes to his line-up and minutes have gone up and down. The idea that a veteran can under perform with no ramifications to his minutes is absurd. No coach in the world would agree to that. Sports are about competition and yes vets get more rope because they have earned it, but rope runs out.

That is not true JB has made changes to his line-up and minutes have gone up and down. The idea that a veteran can under perform with no ramifications to his minutes is absurd. No coach in the world would agree to that. Sports are about competition and yes vets get more rope because they have earned it, but rope runs out.
I'm talking significantly, and I would say very rarely. Give examples please...

Rare, though.

Autry over Mike Edwards, Flynn over Josh Wright. There are probably a couple others, but there haven't been many. C.J.'s locked in for heavy minutes this year and next.

Not defending the practice, but that's how it goes.

Yeah, the talent gap has to be absurd for JB to change course on a veteran. CJ Fair will not be losing significant playing time to Grant this season.

I'm talking significantly, and I would say very rarely. Give examples please...

Triche (11-12 mins played 834) (10-11 mins played 1009) in 3 least games and Baye (11-12 mins played 431) its was only that high because Fab was suspended (10-11 mins played 511) again we played three less games in the 10-11 season. It happens a lot but most fans don't notice minutes, fans notice wins and loses. Players notice minutes, they want to play.

Rare, though.

Autry over Mike Edwards, Flynn over Josh Wright. There are probably a couple others, but there haven't been many. C.J.'s locked in for heavy minutes this year and next.

Not defending the practice, but that's how it goes.

Those are people who were benched for an incoming freshmen. I am not suggesting CJ will or should be benched. But 30mins goes to 27 mins goes to 25mins goes to 22mins... it happens a lot.

Those are people who were benched for an incoming freshmen. I am not suggesting CJ will or should be benched. But 30mins goes to 27 mins goes to 25mins goes to 22mins... it happens a lot.

Gotcha.

My example would be Kris Joseph. If he could lead the team in minutes last year with a 42% field-goal percentage, more turnovers than either of our shooting guards, and Fair and South behind him, Fair's not likely to lose playing time. Especially if Boeheim doesn't favor the two bigs lineup (which he doesn't seem to at this point).

Don't get your argument. Of course minutes change year-to-year. Give me an example of a young player who has unexpectcantly stolen consistant minutes from a veteran at Syracuse. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head in my 40 yrs of watching. Bottom line and point I am trying to make, CJ will not be losing minutes to Grant anytime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom