Class of 2016 WR Amba Etta-Tawo (UMD Grad Transfer) Committed to SU

Discussion in 'Football Recruiting Forum' started by Whitey23, Mar 22, 2016.

1. wfschrec

wfschrec All American

For crying out loud you guys make it seem like we are talking about this guy ...

[​IMG]

Dnyr85, NJCuse97, chugg21 and 2 others like this.
  2. SUFaninNJ

SUFaninNJ All American

Just going by MD fans mostly. I haven't had my assistants break down his game film for me yet :rolleyes:. It's nice that we picked up a WR transfer, especially after losing Lewis. From the limited info I have, I'm just not expecting him to blow the roof off the Dome. If he's such a home run threat, why does he only have 1 TD in the last 2 years? The last time I got excited about a WR transfer it was Funderburk. Let's just say that I was underwhelmed with his career in orange. Let's hope things are different this time around.

Banion likes this.
  3. money3189

money3189 All Conference

I think you are right on my friend but he will definitely have to show that he's capable of making a down field catch here and there so opponents to honor the threat.

4. PAcuse

PAcuse Starter

Let me know what your assistants think, I'm sure they are just as good as this staff as breaking down film :rolleyes:
    Clearly we have been burnt in the past by transfers, but we have a very good coaching staff that has done this before. They have a plan and it's a damn good one.

PhatOrange likes this.
  5. OttoinGrotto

OttoinGrotto 2016 Iggy Winner

For sure. I'm not suggesting we put the man with no arms at outside WR or anything. ;)

Although that guy would probably make some amazing catches.

Louie and Bouie and money3189 like this.
  6. Shenexon

Shenexon All Conference

A little of this might help...

7. CuseDude

CuseDude Walk On

Bowling Green played Maryland last year and he had 5 catches for 49 yards. They have seen him up close and like him. We should be excited people!

JHarris44, Shrmdougluvr and jr4750 like this.
  8. VirginiaOrange

VirginiaOrange 2nd String

Why wouldn't you take the kid? Have the scholarship - he's only here for a year - no risk - potentially solid reward. Who cares if he never sees the field, there is no risk here.

Nicknack, Digger, RoatanCuse and 8 others like this.
  9. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

since no one here really knows much about him. maybe his drops come more on certain routes with tougher catches and he seldom got thrown the deep balls since maryland hasnt thrown the ball well in awhile. look at those stats last year only a couple over 200 and a couple under 100..

PhatOrange likes this.
  10. SUFaninNJ

SUFaninNJ All American

I'm confused by you saying that you don't have much of an expectation, yet you call him a STUD. How is 3 TDs in 3 years a STUD? Just because his stats have been better than what we have returning doesn't automatically qualify him as a stud.

Nicknack and Banion like this.
  11. Cuse'91

Cuse'91 Starter

I have a sinking suspicion that this staff is in desperation mode when it comes to wide outs. And nothing they have seen this Spring has changed that opinion... We do not have an ACC caliber wr corp, we do not have an AAC wr corp...

12. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

This system requires more, capable receivers b/c we'll use more 4- and 5-wideout sets. Right now we have two proven guys [Ishmael / Estime], a guy who has played [Philips] albeit at a different position, and a bunch of generally unproven candidates [Custis, Cornelius, Neal, etc.].

There's no downside to adding a 5th year grad transfer. Hardly desperation mode.

13. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

I don't think he's a stud. I said if you just look at the numbers he's a stud compared to what we're trotting out there; I meant our numbers. our numbers are pedestrian though, but he's immediately #2 on our receiving list - even with bad hands.

14. Cuse'91

Cuse'91 Starter

I think, and hope, Butler plays immediately also...

Banion likes this.
  15. C Bomb

C Bomb 2nd String

The main reason, IMO, that Bowling Green lost their bowl game was key drops by their deep threat, all America/NFL prospect Roger Lewis. Especially on deep throws where he had great opportunities to pull it in. Not that I'm not glad he's coming here, but Marylands crew was heavy in mentioning the dropsies. I'm still cringing from all the "lemon drops" from this forum.

16. PAcuse

PAcuse Starter

Giving up 452 yards rushing had a much bigger impact in that bowl game, they still lose if Lewis makes the catches. Weather and not stopping the run doomed them.

17. orange44

orange44 Walk On

18. W'boro'Cuse315

W'boro'Cuse315 Starter

When assessing his stats/"drops" let's not forget MD's QB situation the past couple years. Weren't they starting a LB at QB for a while because of injuries a few years back?

Dnyr85, JHarris44 and PAcuse like this.
  19. OttoinGrotto

One thing our fans are going to have to get used to... desperation isn't a bad thing.

You'll often hear coaches say things like "We didn't go for it on 4th down because that's desperate." I distinctly remember Robinson saying that once.

Well, actually, desperation can pay if you're using it right. I think Babers will.

Shenexon likes this.
  20. Toga

Toga Living Legend

Jamal Custis also had a productive day, using his 6-5 frame to defeat one-on-one coverage and catch several deep balls down the sideline.

21. JrodCuse

JrodCuse Starter

Breaking down the per catch averages:

#1) Amba Etta Tawo - 61 for 938 or 15.38 per catch

#2) Brisley - 45 for 690 or 15.33 per catch

#3) Ishmael - 66 for 985 or 14.92 per catch

#4) Erv - 44 for 343 or 7.8 per catch

RoatanCuse, PhatOrange and money3189 like this.
  22. JrodCuse

JrodCuse Starter

In all seriousness, I could see Amba (61), Brisley (45), Ishmael (66) and Erv (44) all come close to surpassing their career total receptions in just THIS season. Is that crazy? 216 catches between our top 4 receivers. Normally that would be insanity to suggest, but this season we should have about 400 completions right?

23. OttoinGrotto

I think Ish will break our all-time reception record in his junior and senior seasons alone. His freshman and sophomore year stats will just be gravy on the record books.

Which sounds pretty gross, actually. You get the idea though.

24. C Bomb

C Bomb 2nd String

Yeah the D the bed, but it was compounded by so many drops of long catchable passes in moments that could have swung momentum. You could see them get deflated and dejected

PAcuse and Banion like this.
  25. BlackKnight76

BlackKnight76 All American

Low risk, potentially high reward if he fits in well. And as someone said, Babers has seen him live. Cool with this.

RoatanCuse and MSOrange like this.