Class of 2016 - WR Amba Etta-Tawo (UMD Grad Transfer) Committed to SU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR Amba Etta-Tawo (UMD Grad Transfer) Committed to SU

For crying out loud you guys make it seem like we are talking about this guy ...

55a5cea5-0381-4dc1-8602-3c650e0fccb9.jpg

Are you going off the word of Maryland fans or did you watch his game film? Because if go off the word of SU fans no one can catch on our team ;)

Just going by MD fans mostly. I haven't had my assistants break down his game film for me yet :rolleyes:. It's nice that we picked up a WR transfer, especially after losing Lewis. From the limited info I have, I'm just not expecting him to blow the roof off the Dome. If he's such a home run threat, why does he only have 1 TD in the last 2 years? The last time I got excited about a WR transfer it was Funderburk. Let's just say that I was underwhelmed with his career in orange. Let's hope things are different this time around.

I know this will sound nuts, but I wonder if this system isn't harmed that much by a burner with bad hands. I mean, those sideline deep threats are intended to string out the defense. Even if that player has questionable hands, no defense is going to gamble that they can just let him run by them.
I think you are right on my friend but he will definitely have to show that he's capable of making a down field catch here and there so opponents to honor the threat.

Just going by MD fans mostly. I haven't had my assistants break down his game film for me yet :rolleyes:. It's nice that we picked up a WR transfer, especially after losing Lewis. From the limited info I have, I'm just not expecting him to blow the roof off the Dome. If he's such a home run threat, why does he only have 1 TD in the last 2 years? The last time I got excited about a WR transfer it was Funderburk. Let's just say that I was underwhelmed with his career in orange. Let's hope things are different this time around.
Let me know what your assistants think, I'm sure they are just as good as this staff as breaking down film :rolleyes:
Clearly we have been burnt in the past by transfers, but we have a very good coaching staff that has done this before. They have a plan and it's a damn good one.

I think you are right on my friend but he will definitely have to show that he's capable of making a down field catch here and there so opponents to honor the threat.
For sure. I'm not suggesting we put the man with no arms at outside WR or anything. ;)

Although that guy would probably make some amazing catches.

since no one here really knows much about him. maybe his drops come more on certain routes with tougher catches and he seldom got thrown the deep balls since maryland hasnt thrown the ball well in awhile. look at those stats last year only a couple over 200 and a couple under 100..

how much of that is fact vs. fiction? How many did he really drop? Is he an All American ? Heck no. Will he help? Probably.

I don't really have much of an expectation but the positive is that he was good enough to start 8 games for Maryland (newspaper said 15 games). In 3 years he had 61 catches for 938 yards and three touchdowns. That's good for 2nd on the Syracuse roster.

Look at the returning numbers. This kid is a STUD if you just look at the numbers. It puts a productive receiver on the other side of Ishmael.

#1) Steve Ishmael
66 catches / 985 yards / 10 TDS

#2) Amba Etta-Tawo
61 catches / 938 yards / 3 TDS

#3) Brisly Estime
45 catches / 690 yards

#4) Ervin Philips
44 catches / 343 yards 5 TDs

#5) Josh Parris
43 catches / 279 yards

#6) Alvin Cornelius
18 catches / 232 yards

I'm confused by you saying that you don't have much of an expectation, yet you call him a STUD. How is 3 TDs in 3 years a STUD? Just because his stats have been better than what we have returning doesn't automatically qualify him as a stud.

I have a sinking suspicion that this staff is in desperation mode when it comes to wide outs. And nothing they have seen this Spring has changed that opinion... We do not have an ACC caliber wr corp, we do not have an AAC wr corp...

I have a sinking suspicion that this staff is in desperation mode when it comes to wide outs. And nothing they have seen this Spring has changed that opinion... We do not have an ACC caliber wr corp, we do not have an AAC wr corp...

This system requires more, capable receivers b/c we'll use more 4- and 5-wideout sets. Right now we have two proven guys [Ishmael / Estime], a guy who has played [Philips] albeit at a different position, and a bunch of generally unproven candidates [Custis, Cornelius, Neal, etc.].

There's no downside to adding a 5th year grad transfer. Hardly desperation mode.

I'm confused by you saying that you don't have much of an expectation, yet you call him a STUD. How is 3 TDs in 3 years a STUD? Just because his stats have been better than what we have returning doesn't automatically qualify him as a stud.

I don't think he's a stud. I said if you just look at the numbers he's a stud compared to what we're trotting out there; I meant our numbers. our numbers are pedestrian though, but he's immediately #2 on our receiving list - even with bad hands.

This system requires more, capable receivers b/c we'll use more 4- and 5-wideout sets. Right now we have two proven guys [Ishmael / Estime], a guy who has played [Philips] albeit at a different position, and a bunch of generally unproven candidates [Custis, Cornelius, Neal, etc.].

There's no downside to adding a 5th year grad transfer. Hardly desperation mode.
I think, and hope, Butler plays immediately also...

The main reason, IMO, that Bowling Green lost their bowl game was key drops by their deep threat, all America/NFL prospect Roger Lewis. Especially on deep throws where he had great opportunities to pull it in. Not that I'm not glad he's coming here, but Marylands crew was heavy in mentioning the dropsies. I'm still cringing from all the "lemon drops" from this forum.

The main reason, IMO, that Bowling Green lost their bowl game was key drops by their deep threat, all America/NFL prospect Roger Lewis. Especially on deep throws where he had great opportunities to pull it in. Not that I'm not glad he's coming here, but Marylands crew was heavy in mentioning the dropsies. I'm still cringing from all the "lemon drops" from this forum.
Giving up 452 yards rushing had a much bigger impact in that bowl game, they still lose if Lewis makes the catches. Weather and not stopping the run doomed them.

One thing our fans are going to have to get used to... desperation isn't a bad thing.

You'll often hear coaches say things like "We didn't go for it on 4th down because that's desperate." I distinctly remember Robinson saying that once.

Well, actually, desperation can pay if you're using it right. I think Babers will.

Jamal Custis also had a productive day, using his 6-5 frame to defeat one-on-one coverage and catch several deep balls down the sideline.

how much of that is fact vs. fiction? How many did he really drop? Is he an All American ? Heck no. Will he help? Probably.

I don't really have much of an expectation but the positive is that he was good enough to start 8 games for Maryland (newspaper said 15 games). In 3 years he had 61 catches for 938 yards and three touchdowns. That's good for 2nd on the Syracuse roster.

Look at the returning numbers. This kid is a STUD if you just look at the numbers. It puts a productive receiver on the other side of Ishmael.

#1) Steve Ishmael
66 catches / 985 yards / 10 TDS

#2) Amba Etta-Tawo
61 catches / 938 yards / 3 TDS

#3) Brisly Estime
45 catches / 690 yards

#4) Ervin Philips
44 catches / 343 yards 5 TDs

#5) Josh Parris
43 catches / 279 yards

#6) Alvin Cornelius
18 catches / 232 yards

Breaking down the per catch averages:

#1) Amba Etta Tawo - 61 for 938 or 15.38 per catch

#2) Brisley - 45 for 690 or 15.33 per catch

#3) Ishmael - 66 for 985 or 14.92 per catch

#4) Erv - 44 for 343 or 7.8 per catch

In all seriousness, I could see Amba (61), Brisley (45), Ishmael (66) and Erv (44) all come close to surpassing their career total receptions in just THIS season. Is that crazy? 216 catches between our top 4 receivers. Normally that would be insanity to suggest, but this season we should have about 400 completions right?

In all seriousness, I could see Amba (61), Brisley (45), Ishmael (66) and Erv (44) all come close to surpassing their career total receptions in just THIS season. Is that crazy? 216 catches between our top 4 receivers. Normally that would be insanity to suggest, but this season we should have about 400 completions right?
I think Ish will break our all-time reception record in his junior and senior seasons alone. His freshman and sophomore year stats will just be gravy on the record books.

Which sounds pretty gross, actually. You get the idea though.

Giving up 452 yards rushing had a much bigger impact in that bowl game, they still lose if Lewis makes the catches. Weather and not stopping the run doomed them.

Yeah the D the bed, but it was compounded by so many drops of long catchable passes in moments that could have swung momentum. You could see them get deflated and dejected