Class of 2016 - WR Amba Etta-Tawo (UMD Grad Transfer) Committed to SU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR Amba Etta-Tawo (UMD Grad Transfer) Committed to SU

Low risk, potentially high reward if he fits in well. And as someone said, Babers has seen him live. Cool with this.

That's the right attitude, IMO. At worst, he's a non-factor [which I have a difficult time envisioning, since he was a part time starter for some of his career]. Most likely he's a platoon guy who bolsters our depth at a key position where we lack top shelf talent.

Nothing wrong with that.

Doubt he'll be a world beater [and I don't expect him to be], but Babers system has a way of making average receiving talent look worlds better.

You'll often hear coaches say things like "We didn't go for it on 4th down because that's desperate." I distinctly remember Robinson saying that once.

I would agree to an extent with that if you are a team that rarely goes for it and then all of a sudden you take the gamble. However, if going for it in the right spots is part of your team's culture, desperation has nothing to do with it. It becomes more of an aggressive and "play the numbers" approach which I for one, really like. It's just smart football.

I would agree to an extent with that if you are a team that rarely goes for it and then all of a sudden you take the gamble. However, if going for it in the right spots is part of your team's culture, desperation has nothing to do with it. It becomes more of an aggressive and "play the numbers" approach which I for one, really like. It's just smart football.
I agree with this 9000% actually.

Totes forgot about this kid! I think he's going to be our #2 WR this year. 80 catches for 950 yards and 8 TD. Does that seem excessive expectations?

Has a repuatation for dropping balls but he can help us with depth and his combination of size and speed. He still can make the spectacular play. We can use that. I expect his senior year to be his best despite learning a new system.

Really?! Based on what: hope?

how much of that is fact vs. fiction? How many did he really drop? Is he an All American ? Heck no. Will he help? Probably.

I don't really have much of an expectation but the positive is that he was good enough to start 8 games for Maryland (newspaper said 15 games). In 3 years he had 61 catches for 938 yards and three touchdowns. That's good for 2nd on the Syracuse roster.

Look at the returning numbers. This kid is a STUD if you just look at the numbers. It puts a productive receiver on the other side of Ishmael.

#1) Steve Ishmael
66 catches / 985 yards / 10 TDS

#2) Amba Etta-Tawo
61 catches / 938 yards / 3 TDS

#3) Brisly Estime
45 catches / 690 yards

#4) Ervin Philips
44 catches / 343 yards 5 TDs

#5) Josh Parris
43 catches / 279 yards

#6) Alvin Cornelius
18 catches / 232 yards

I don't think he's a stud. I said if you just look at the numbers he's a stud compared to what we're trotting out there; I meant our numbers. our numbers are pedestrian though, but he's immediately #2 on our receiving list - even with bad hands.

In all seriousness, I could see Amba (61), Brisley (45), Ishmael (66) and Erv (44) all come close to surpassing their career total receptions in just THIS season. Is that crazy? 216 catches between our top 4 receivers. Normally that would be insanity to suggest, but this season we should have about 400 completions right?

Totes forgot about this kid! I think he's going to be our #2 WR this year. 80 catches for 950 yards and 8 TD. Does that seem excessive expectations?

Man this was a fun re-read of the thread.

I thought he would be productive but no way did I think he would put up those numbers.

so, from looking at the Dieter thread and his announcement to transfer on Feb 13th last year - if the BG athletic director doesn't block him from going to SU, does AET end up at a different school? glad it worked out the way it did - thanks Bowling Green!