WR becoming an issue in this class | Syracusefan.com

WR becoming an issue in this class

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Zack Grant committed to Temple today of all places. Seems odd with the depth chart we have but SU has pretty much struck out on all of our WR targets today and as I noted in the beginning Grant committed to Temple today of all places. Unless there are some additional WR recruits out there under the radar we are going to have to hit the JUCO route for at least 1 possibly 2 guys for this years class. The WR position is looking scary next year and not in a good way. Perhapsy Ashton will play more WR or make a full time move over there could be a big help.

Zack Grant committed to Temple today of all places. Seems odd with the depth chart we have but SU has pretty much struck out on all of our WR targets today and as I noted in the beginning Grant committed to Temple today of all places. Unless there are some additional WR recruits out there under the radar we are going to have to hit the JUCO route for at least 1 possibly 2 guys for this years class. The WR position is looking scary next year and not in a good way. Perhapsy Ashton will play more WR or make a full time move over there could be a big help.

Marcus Sales WR 6-0 183 R-Sr. Syracuse, NY / Christian Brothers Academy
Alec Lemon WR 6-2 202 Sr. Crofton, MD / Arundel Senior
Adrian Flemming WR 6-3 196 Jr. Ashburn, VA / Broad Run HS
Jarrod West WR 6-2 204 Jr. Bethlehem, PA / Liberty HS
Jeremiah Kobena WR 5-11 180 So. New York, NY / Cardinal Hayes
Kyle Foster WR 6-3 207 So. Ann Arbor, MI / Pioneer OUT
Keenan Hale WR 6-2 185 So. Conyers, GA / The McCallie School
Alvin Cornelius WR 6-2 190 Fr. Staten Island, N.Y. / Tottenville
Ben Lewis WR 6-3 194 Fr. Middletown, Md. / Middletown

Macauley Hill WR 6-0 198 So. Port Huron, MI / Port Huron Northern OUT - walkon

Potentially add Juco Chris Clark.

That I can find we have about a dozen offers out to WR prospects

There is also that potential transfer from Arkansas who would probably make a big impact, but who knows if he gets out of transfer purgatory.

Kev

I thought Funderburke wasn't likely to happen anymore. Plus, our younger wideouts are unproven, so why won't they be good?

I think we grab 2 WR's in this class.

He must like that family atmosphere in the crowds on game day.

Marcus Sales WR 6-0 183 R-Sr. Syracuse, NY / Christian Brothers Academy
Alec Lemon WR 6-2 202 Sr. Crofton, MD / Arundel Senior
Adrian Flemming WR 6-3 196 Jr. Ashburn, VA / Broad Run HS
Jarrod West WR 6-2 204 Jr. Bethlehem, PA / Liberty HS
Jeremiah Kobena WR 5-11 180 So. New York, NY / Cardinal Hayes
Kyle Foster WR 6-3 207 So. Ann Arbor, MI / Pioneer OUT
Keenan Hale WR 6-2 185 So. Conyers, GA / The McCallie School
Alvin Cornelius WR 6-2 190 Fr. Staten Island, N.Y. / Tottenville
Ben Lewis WR 6-3 194 Fr. Middletown, Md. / Middletown

Macauley Hill WR 6-0 198 So. Port Huron, MI / Port Huron Northern OUT - walkon

Potentially add Juco Chris Clark.

That I can find we have about a dozen offers out to WR prospects

Lemon and Sales are Seniors, I am talking about next season and beyond.

Flemming cant get on the field which with out WR depth is not a good sign.
West has been hurt each year he has been here and looks like a complimentary possession guy at best. So basically for this season and next season we need to develop not only depth but someone to be a #1 option. Look at the WR roster for next season I dont see a #2 WR less a #1. So at best were looking at Hunt or a true Freshmen playing QB next year with no real standout at WR, that is a HUGE problem.

We desperately need to develop a solid WR out of the group of Foster, Lewis, Kobena and Cornelius. Clark the Juco should hopefully bring a deep threat but you cant try and put the onus of being a 1WR when hes basically a speed/deep guy. Id be shocked if we didnt hit up the JUCO ranks again this year for at least 1 WR.

I thought Funderburke wasn't likely to happen anymore. Plus, our younger wideouts are unproven, so why won't they be good?

I think we grab 2 WR's in this class.

As I posted several weeks ago the Funderburke option appears to have sailed off into the sunset. Not saying our young guys will not be good but what we have seen so far isnt exactly promising.

West has been hurt each year he has been here and looks like a complimentary possession guy at best. So basically for this season and next season we need to develop not only depth but someone to be a #1 option. Look at the WR roster for next season I dont see a #2 WR less a #1. So at best were looking at Hunt or a true Freshmen playing QB next year with no real standout at WR, that is a HUGE problem.

We desperately need to develop a solid WR out of the group of Foster, Lewis, Kobena and Cornelius. Clark the Juco should hopefully bring a deep threat but you cant try and put the onus of being a 1WR when hes basically a speed/deep guy. Id be shocked if we didnt hit up the JUCO ranks again this year for at least 1 WR.
Disagree with West looking complimentary at best. When he's been healthy and actually gets the ball thrown to him, he's looked pretty good, I think. Looks very smooth out there. He just can't stay healthy.

Hopefully Kobena and Cornelius, along with Hale and Foster, develop like we all hope they will.

You do realize that it's August right? It's 6 months until signing day and your freaking out.

Any reason you keep leaving out Hale?? From what I've been told, the staff loves him and he has plenty of speed to become a deep threat.

You do realize that it's August right? It's 6 months until signing day and your freaking out.

Who is freaking out? You do realize that we have missed on our top 5-6 Wr recruits right? You do realize that new recruits dont magically appear on the radar as signing day approaches?

Do you think the staff having to sign a JUCO WR at the 11th hour that no one else offered is a good sign? No one is on the ledge but there are legitimate concerns.

Any reason you keep leaving out Hale?? From what I've been told, the staff loves him and he has plenty of speed to become a deep threat.

Typo on my part that last paragraph should have been Hale, Foster is obviously out for the year.

Disagree with West looking complimentary at best. When he's been healthy and actually gets the ball thrown to him, he's looked pretty good, I think. Looks very smooth out there. He just can't stay healthy.

Hopefully Kobena and Cornelius, along with Hale and Foster, develop like we all hope they will.

Fosters out for the year and Kobena is a slot guy. We need to develop a Lemon / Sales guy who can be a go to WR or at least someone who can be a #1 so Kobena, Lewis, Clark etc can get better matchups and work in positions there better suited for Slot, outside etc. Honestly I thought West was OK last year but I didnt see anything that made me think he looked pretty good or was something above a possession guy. That being said maybe he takes the next step this season, I certainly havent written him off.

Who is freaking out? You do realize that we have missed on our top 5-6 Wr recruits right? You do realize that new recruits dont magically appear on the radar as signing day approaches?

Do you think the staff having to sign a JUCO WR at the 11th hour that no one else offered is a good sign? No one is on the ledge but there are legitimate concerns.
I don't know if the staff missed or if they made decision not to persue these guys. I don't know what the reason is do you?

I don't know if the staff missed or if they made decision not to persue these guys. I don't know what the reason is do you?
A ubique idea? Put Reddish back on offense. Give another CB a shot out there. Jaston George maybe? Like I said unless Brandon is a shut down type this year put him where he is needed and could be big play maker. Wayne Morgan has got to be effective back there this year I presume.:cool:

Fosters out for the year and Kobena is a slot guy. We need to develop a Lemon / Sales guy who can be a go to WR or at least someone who can be a #1 so Kobena, Lewis, Clark etc can get better matchups and work in positions there better suited for Slot, outside etc. Honestly I thought West was OK last year but I didnt see anything that made me think he looked pretty good or was something above a possession guy. That being said maybe he takes the next step this season, I certainly havent written him off.
Yeah, I know Foster is out, but I thought you meant after this coming season. I'd assume he'll be back and ready to go next year.

They chose other schools it happens, but when your losing your top two guys and another WR will becoming off a major injury you need to bring 1 or 2 guys who can contribute right away.

Yeah, I know Foster is out, but I thought you meant after this coming season. I'd assume he'll be back and ready to go next year.

It will be hard to expect a lot out of a guy who will be coming off a major injury and who hasnt really played in two years.

Clark will contribute in 2012 and 2013 (especially since Foster will miss 2012).

Any WR that gets recruited in the Class of 2013 would probably RS in 2013 and start to contribute in 2014 ... after Clark is gone.

If I were a gambling man, I'd put some money on Kobena opening a few eyes THIS season.

Certainly after Sales/Lemon we are unproven. The two frosh plus Hale will get every opportunity to shine. We definitely need to add a WR or two in this class but we don't know how dire the situation actually is until we see what we have in West, Kobena, Flemming, Hale, Lewis and Cornelius.

I do agree that the Clark move seems somewhat desperate and if he's eligible for us I have zero expectation. Looks like a project to me. Could pay dividends next year though.

We'll see, I'm not worried about the recruiting aspect of it yet because we're involved with WR's and some of them are touted.

My darkhorse true freshman making an impact on this team is Ben Lewis.

He could make an Alec Lemon like impact when Alec was a Frosh. There is definitely opportunity there, hopefully a guy or two will grab it and run.