Class of 2023 - WR Bryce Cohoon (KS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (6/29/22) | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 WR Bryce Cohoon (KS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (6/29/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy like this doesn't need to have hands like Jerry Rice. If he can just early on catch a few and display a threat, that's all that's needed for a DC to make sure he accounts for the speed and then let Beck take advantage.

He didn't drop anything in this highlight reel...:)

Loads of potential. I thought his QB threw very well, always good placement for him to make the catch. I wonder what his status is and if we are involved.

I just saw that his QB is committed to Kansas State.

Last edited:
I don’t want to seem like I’m just ragging on the kid but the expectations are insane. And for no other reason than his speed. Just his size alone will make it difficult to see him on the field anytime soon. He’s not even the biggest guy on his relay team. He’s going to have to bulk up. Small guys can be successful but they have lateral movement in the very least that even his highlight reel doesn’t suggest is there, at this point.

Let this kid get here and see if he’s even a D1 player first.

I don’t want to seem like I’m just ragging on the kid but the expectations are insane. And for no other reason than his speed. Just his size alone will make it difficult to see him on the field anytime soon. He’s not even the biggest guy on his relay team. He’s going to have to bulk up. Small guys can be successful but they have lateral movement in the very least that even his highlight reel doesn’t suggest is there, at this point.

I gave a like because you are right that we should let him get on campus and just start working with the team before any annoiting.(to note I was not annoiting anyone).He is 6'2 175 and has premium speed. He is currently big enough and fast enough to qualify as a P5 athlete just from those 2 elements for the WR and kickoff returner standpoint. How he runs routes, can break press coverage, use his hands, use his body are all TBD but can be taught. Agree we should wait and see but there is no reason not to be excited about his speed. His speed is for real and that we do know.

One thing you can't teach is speed and that he has. With what skills he has now will only improve. Mark it down, with Beck the kid will blossom.

One thing you can't teach is speed and that he has. With what skills he has now will only improve. Mark it down, with Beck the kid will blossom.

Ok

I gave a like because you are right that we should let him get on campus and just start working with the team before any annoiting.(to note I was not annoiting anyone).He is 6'2 175 and has premium speed. He is currently big enough and fast enough to qualify as a P5 athlete just from those 2 elements for the WR and kickoff returner standpoint. How he runs routes, can break press coverage, use his hands, use his body are all TBD but can be taught. Agree we should wait and see but there is no reason not to be excited about his speed. His speed is for real and that we do know.

We beat out a Colgate offer. I think we’re way overvaluing things here IMO. I don’t mind taking a flier on a kid but the expectations are way out of whack right now. People are already talking about how he’s going to open up the whole offense. We don’t even know when the kid will see the field outside of ST’s. So I’ll stick by anything I’ve said, just think we should temper expectations by quite a bit. And with that, I won’t comment on the kid again so I don’t sound like I want the kid to fail. Because I don’t.

We beat out a Colgate offer. I think we’re way overvaluing things here IMO. I don’t mind taking a flier on a kid but the expectations are way out of whack right now. People are already talking about how he’s going to open up the whole offense. We don’t even know when the kid will see the field outside of ST’s. So I’ll stick by anything I’ve said, just think we should temper expectations by quite a bit. And with that, I won’t comment on the kid again so I don’t sound like I want the kid to fail. Because I don’t.
All good, I don't think anyone is thinking your saying that and yes speed mixed with talent can help open things up. I have no idea if he will be successful or not. I think it's fair to say we both hope he finds success at Syracuse.

I will say that from those recent track meet videos, it looks like his upper body has filled out some since football season. That's a positive sign for him seeing the field sooner rather than later. And it's not like we have too many good receivers already.

I think people need to relax a bit. Running with a baton is not the same as running in pads and a helmet, carrying a football. Can he even get off the line of scrimmage? There’s a lot of unknowns about this kid. It’s not like schools were knocking down the doors to sign this kid. Let’s wait and see what happens when he actually gets on campus. He might surprise, but we’re going to have to wait and see.

He’s not even the biggest guy on his relay team?
We beat out Colgate?

While I get the pleas for caution on expectations for any given prospect, I think most of us just want to see him play. He's an intriguing prospect. He's fast but wasn't highly recruited. I think 6'3" 185 is well within our range for WR's. And in a larger sense, He's among a significant group of players I look forward to watching this fall. It's part of fan prep for the season.

I don't expect anything specific from Cohoon, but think he could be fun. I look forward to seeing the offense in general with the new OC but think speed has often been a weakness against our peer schools. When we successfully recruit a player with speed, I'm "pleased".

These are the type of players SU should take flyers on. Obviously he is a project. Lightly recruited but has some natural gifts that the coaches believe they can mold.
Lamson was the same type of kid. Same with Eric. Tucker was more of a track kid than football player. Teams all over the country are made up of guys like this that turn out to be solid, some stars. You cant recruit 25 of them a year but to take 5 or 6 projects that have physical gifts is simply what SU has to do given its current position.
I

I like the way he catches the ball, not many “bucket” catches. He grabs it. There wasn’t much of a route tree, but on the two shorter pitch and catches, he still showed what I’d want to see. Especially the whip route, planted off the outside, came in, dropped his hips and created separation while maintaining balance and spacial awareness, finishing with a hand catch. Even though he creates big separation, he doesn’t lean on body catches, that’s a good thing.

Obviously has speed for days. Great size. Textbook downfield blocking where he drops his pad level while maintaining a good base, important for a guy his size.

He’s been coached well.

I think everyone should pump the breaks on all Fr. Recruits. It’s a big transition. That said, I think Bryce is a fine recruit.

Last edited:
I like the way he catches the ball, not many “bucket” catches. He grabs it. There wasn’t much of a route tree, but on the two shorter pitch and catches, he still showed what I’d want to see. Especially the whip route, planted off the outside, came in, dropped his hips and created separation while maintaining balance and spacial awareness, finishing with a hand catch. Even though he creates big separation, he doesn’t lean on body catches, that’s a good thing.

Obviously has speed for days. Great size. Textbook downfield blocking where he drops his pad level while maintaining a good base, important for a guy his size.

He’s been coached well.

I think everyone should pump the breaks on all Fr. Recruits. It’s a big transition. That said, I think Bryce is a fine recruit.

All of this.

His Jr HS tape showed a track guy playing football.
Which is what everybody is cautioning about - does he have WR skills?
Or is he just a fast track guy running around on a football field?

Bryce’s Sr HS tapes are a whole different story:
Looks like a WR. Who is also very fast.
Really good hands, some nice routes, made some good adjustments, laid out for a few catches -
all of the stuff you want to see a WR doing at that level.

We haven’t had a Frosh WR really pop other than Taj, so I’ll be surprised if he does, just given that it doesn’t seem to happen w Dino very often.

He’s tall, and he’s VERY fast.
Those are things you can’t teach.
Which makes him a solid get.
Let’s hope he learns all the other stuff, and fairly quickly.

All of this.

His Jr HS tape showed a track guy playing football.
Which is what everybody is cautioning about - does he have WR skills?
Or is he just a fast track guy running around on a football field?

Bryce’s Sr HS tapes are a whole different story:
Looks like a WR. Who is also very fast.
Really good hands, some nice routes, made some good adjustments, laid out for a few catches -
all of the stuff you want to see a WR doing at that level.

We haven’t had a Frosh WR really pop other than Taj, so I’ll be surprised if he does, just given that it doesn’t seem to happen w Dino very often.

He’s tall, and he’s VERY fast.
Those are things you can’t teach.
Which makes him a solid get.
Let’s hope he learns all the other stuff, and fairly quickly.
Agree, also it has happen more than you could imagine that many schools have overlooked the hidden diamond. I don't always look at schools he had beat out because of that. I have said from day 1 of recruiting this kid that to me he has that it factor. Like that wr for Purdue this past year had (it) too, just needed to be put into the right system and I believe the BECK system is the right one. LGO

Status
Not open for further replies.