Class of 2023 - WR Bryce Cohoon (KS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (6/29/22) | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 WR Bryce Cohoon (KS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (6/29/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't about Cohoon specifically but the comments about "you can't teach speed" are not correct.

This isn't about Cohoon specifically but the comments about "you can't teach speed" are not correct.
No they're not. You can teach running technique. You can do speed training. You can't teach the presence of fast twitch muscle fibers beyond the conversion of hybrid fibers, and we're still not sure to what extent that happens.You're not going to teach someone with mediocre speed to have elite speed. You don't see guys that start out running 4.6 40's learn how to run 4.3 or guys that start out running 11 sec 100m drop to the low 10's unless they were completely untrained in the beginning.

All of the athletes at speed related positions in football are already doing speed training, weight lifting, and technique, so the genetically gifted guys will stand out. You also can't always utilize perfect technique on the field the way that you can on the track, so the naturally faster guys will separate themselves.

No they're not. You can teach running technique. You can do speed training. You can't teach the presence of fast twitch muscle fibers beyond the conversion of hybrid fibers, and we're still not sure to what extent that happens.You're not going to teach someone with mediocre speed to have elite speed. You don't see guys that start out running 4.6 40's learn how to run 4.3 or guys that start out running 11 sec 100m drop to the low 10's unless they were completely untrained in the beginning.

All of the athletes at speed related positions in football are already doing speed training, weight lifting, and technique, so the genetically gifted guys will stand out. You also can't always utilize perfect technique on the field the way that you can on the track, so the naturally faster guys will separate themselves.

Technique which you can teach can increase speed which is what I meant. Sure other guys will have advantages over others no matter how much you teach but to say flat out you can't teach speed is wrong.

Technique which you can teach can increase speed which is what I meant. Sure other guys will have advantages over others no matter how much you teach but to say flat out you can't teach speed is wrong.
Ok. And everyone in the sport learns the technique. Not everyone has his kind of speed.

Ok. And everyone in the sport learns the technique. Not everyone has his kind of speed.

Didn't say everyone has his speed. My point is everyone can learn to improve themselves to the best of their ability including genetics with technique and in turn speed.

Didn't say everyone has his speed. My point is everyone can learn to improve themselves to the best of their ability including genetics with technique and in turn speed.
Isn't that the case with everything? Everyone can get bigger and stronger, but some guys carry size and strength more easily. Guys can become better shooters in basketball, but some are just pure shooters. QBs can improve arm strength and accuracy, but some just are much better.

When people look at a guy running 21.5 200m and 10.6 100m and say you can't teach speed, it seems pretty clear they're saying his kind of speed is unique and most won't ever have it, regardless of how much they train.

Isn't that the case with everything? Everyone can get bigger and stronger, but some guys carry size and strength more easily. Guys can become better shooters in basketball, but some are just pure shooters. QBs can improve arm strength and accuracy, but some just are much better.

When people look at a guy running 21.5 200m and 10.6 100m and say you can't teach speed, it seems pretty clear they're saying his kind of speed is unique and most won't ever have it, regardless of how much they train.

Let me make this last point and it pretty simple imo., 2 guys race 10 times 100 times 1000 times whatever and they tie every single time no matter what, then suddenly one of the guys gets track coach speed coach whatever you want to call him works with him for a period of time, then the the two race again again and the guy with coaching wins finally by a meer .1. Did the guy who had training improve his speed?

Let me make this last point and it pretty simple imo., 2 guys race 10 times 100 times 1000 times whatever and they tie every single time no matter what, then suddenly one of the guys gets track coach speed coach whatever you want to call him works with him for a period of time, then the the two race again again and the guy with coaching wins finally by a meer .1. Did the guy who had training improve his speed?
Yep. And I'l make this one last point. You're being crazy nitpicky about a simple phrase. Some guys have elite speed that others will never have regardless of a speed coach. That's all anyone is saying. It's like when it's said someone has a perfect stroke in basketball. It could be easily proven nobody is perfect because everybody misses shots, but everyone knows what they're saying.

Yep. And I'l make this one last point. You're being crazy nitpicky about a simple phrase. Some guys have elite speed that others will never have regardless of a speed coach. That's all anyone is saying. It's like when it's said someone has a perfect stroke in basketball. It could be easily proven nobody is perfect because everybody misses shots, but everyone knows what they're saying.

Hey maybe I am, but I guess I just don't think like that.

He’s not even the biggest guy on his relay team?
We beat out Colgate?
He's quite a bit faster than the largest guy on his relay team (why relative size matters, I'm not sure). Then again, it looked like everyone else in the field was too.

I will say that from those recent track meet videos, it looks like his upper body has filled out some since football season. That's a positive sign for him seeing the field sooner rather than later. And it's not like we have too many good receivers already.

That’s a good point too.

He’s not even the biggest guy on his relay team?
We beat out Colgate?

You looked at his commit able offers, right? This is definitely a flier/project type player. Which I have no issues with in general.

Yes, we beat out Colgate, if it makes you feel better….. and Pennsylvania

You looked at his commit able offers, right? This is definitely a flier/project type player. Which I have no issues with in general.

Yes, we beat out Colgate, if it makes you feel better….. and Pennsylvania
Yes, we know he had limited offers, but thanks for pointing that out again for everyone that forgot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom